Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:38:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 209827 times)
jonathgb25
Level 0

Visit www.infocore.xyz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1800 on: March 18, 2016, 11:48:01 PM »

Light novel of Sword Art Online. I want to spoil my friends.  Well, hello there!  Cheesy  Evil  Corny Laugh

Visit this blog: Info Core
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1801 on: March 20, 2016, 07:28:44 AM »

The Economies of Cities by Jane Jacobs -- confronting the perception that humans farmed before they built cities and suggests an alternative history (cities before farming). It's fun!

AnotherPlace
Level 0

Seize The Day

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: April 11, 2016, 09:37:45 AM »

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

It apparently inspired George Orwell to write 1984 and if you have seen or played the game I'm developing you'll understand I'm a real fan of mind bending head f#cks.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:23:10 PM by AnotherPlace » Logged

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: April 11, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »

I'm reading The Gone-Away World, by Nick Harkaway.
Post-apocalyptic stuff, theorically. In practice, I'm around page 50 and our hero is still talking about his teenage years.
I shall persevere with optimism. The writing is pleasant, if a little slow, and cool stuff should happen soon.

As for comics, I'm reading Blame! and Sunstone. Oh, and Walter Simonson's Thor.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Canned Turkey
« Reply #1804 on: April 11, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »

I'm reading A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

It won the pulitzer prize, and is literally the first book you see when you google search for funniest book.
It's about a forever alone neck-beard (sans-beard) in 1960s New Orleans.

So yeah, it's in my top five books already, and I'm still not quite finished reading it.
I saw someone suggest it on the internet a long while back, but everyone I've recommend it to hasn't ever heard of it.
It's a classic for a reason, but a classic by the Mark Twain definition of "Something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read".
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1805 on: April 12, 2016, 09:42:16 PM »

"Exploits and Opinions of Dr. Faustroll, Pataphysician" by Alfred Jarry.

I don't quite know what it's about, exactly. Stuff, I guess.
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: April 12, 2016, 11:59:11 PM »

I read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse recently.
At work I read old National Geographic magazines from the 80-90s.

Leaghorn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1807 on: April 14, 2016, 01:00:55 PM »

Last big book I've read was Martian by Andy Weir

But the Very last book I've read is Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life by Stephen LaBerge

If someone doesn't know about Lucid Dreaming yet he/she should read into it.

xchen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: April 14, 2016, 06:06:06 PM »

Haven't read the book but have had one lucid dream, which was incredible. Probably been 8 or 9 years ago now, can't remember anything specific. Need to start keeping a journal again.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1809 on: April 14, 2016, 07:55:54 PM »

Finished the Spelunky book. It's fantastic and made me nostalgic for old TIGSource.

ElkiwyDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: April 20, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »

Currently reading the Necronomicon from Lovecraft, then I want to read Spelunky book as soon I finish that  Grin

Follow me and Project_BuildTutto by clicking any of these links: Discord Server: https://discord.gg/mSCn4BUYouTube channel for Timelapses: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2l3kcw6wUn4Z1-cr5UMLMw
Lars3n95
Level 0

KiLa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1811 on: April 26, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »

Currently reading "Seven languages in seven weeks". Trying to get a better understanding in functional programming.

Gamedragon
« Reply #1812 on: May 14, 2016, 01:42:04 PM »

Rereading Game of Thrones, it's pretty good. Better the second time round honestly. Also reading a bunch of Lovecraft, it's quite enjoyable.
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: May 16, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »

Currently reading The Illustion of Life by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, which is, along with The Animator's Survival Kit, the go-to book for anyone interested in animation. Like The Animator's Survival Kit, The Illustion of Life has a lot of practical examples, but also delves deeper into the history of Disney and the hand-drawn animation process at that time.

I'm also reading 考えすぎない生き方 (~ how to live without thinking too much) by 深澤直紀 (Fukasawa Maki). The book consists of very short chapters in which the author's prefacing each section with a long-ish title like "rather than thinking only about the best and worst case scenario, think also about the middle ground" and then elaborating further. It's an interesting read even if I find myself at odds with his "collectivism rather than individualism" mindset at times. But I think there's value in reading something from someone whose opinions and priorities clash with your own. Especially so when certain views are a byproduct of one's culture. Smiley
NineTattooedDragons
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1814 on: May 28, 2016, 10:50:50 AM »

Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I've been going through all the old Chinese classics. Just finished Outlaws of the Marsh (highly recommended).

ShuyanSaga.com/
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: June 15, 2016, 05:39:21 AM »

I've been reading The Willpower Instinct -- How Self-Control Works, Why it Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It by Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D. The book is exactly what it says on the tin, and it was a very insightful read.

Another book I've been reading is Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson because my sleeping schedule is all sorts of fucked up, and this book is really helping me with that. If you have a similar sleeping problem and would like to fix it, then I can only recommend it!
fergie77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: June 15, 2016, 06:21:33 AM »

Just finished reading "Trust me: I'm Lying" by Ryan Holiday, it's about media manipulation. Pretty interesting to see how the world works, saw what he was talking about in the immediate aftermath of Prince's death, quite scary tbh.

Just started reading "The Millionaire Fastlane" by MJ Demarco. Which is basically exactly what it says haha.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1817 on: June 22, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »

Just finished reading "Trust me: I'm Lying" by Ryan Holiday, it's about media manipulation. Pretty interesting to see how the world works, saw what he was talking about in the immediate aftermath of Prince's death, quite scary tbh.

Just started reading "The Millionaire Fastlane" by MJ Demarco. Which is basically exactly what it says haha.

Can you share more about what you saw in the media lying?

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1818 on: June 22, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »

Reading "The Man In the High Castle" at the moment. I'm a bit in. Third thing I've read form PDK so far and possibly my favorite of those 3.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: June 22, 2016, 03:13:22 PM »

Reading "The Man In the High Castle" at the moment. I'm a bit in. Third thing I've read form PDK so far and possibly my favorite of those 3.

what were the other two?

man in the high castle is amazing. im kinda apprehensive about watching the series tbh, because i feel like it might "ruin" the book for me and trailers were not that promising.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic