Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:10:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 209812 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: June 22, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »

Philip K. Dick is one of the most inventive sci-fi authors I've ever read tbh
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is still one of my all-time favorites
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1821 on: June 22, 2016, 04:09:48 PM »

Reading "The Man In the High Castle" at the moment. I'm a bit in. Third thing I've read form PDK so far and possibly my favorite of those 3.

what were the other two?

man in the high castle is amazing. im kinda apprehensive about watching the series tbh, because i feel like it might "ruin" the book for me and trailers were not that promising.

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and "A Scanner Darkly". I still have quite a few more to go.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1822 on: June 22, 2016, 08:34:50 PM »

Reading "The Man In the High Castle" at the moment. I'm a bit in. Third thing I've read form PDK so far and possibly my favorite of those 3.

what were the other two?

man in the high castle is amazing. im kinda apprehensive about watching the series tbh, because i feel like it might "ruin" the book for me and trailers were not that promising.

I watched the first episode (Actually, I don't think I made it through the entire episode) but it looked like the show pretty much entirely missed every point of the book.  Like, it's just "Resistance fighters in Nazi controlled America" instead of "An examination of the ideas of cultural appropriation, systemic and internalized racism, and authenticity, with the backdrop of a fundamentally inauthentic world"

I've read quite a number of PKD novels and stories, and Man in the High Castle is definitely one of my favorites.  Certainly the one which I think best and most coherently explores its themes (or, at least, where I most felt like I understood what PKD was getting at).

NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1823 on: June 23, 2016, 06:14:13 AM »

Shrug **This is a bit of a weird first post but we all need to start somewhere, right?** Shrug

I've just started "The Plantagenets", I love me some history. (And it's basically all thanks to Hardcore History podcast).

I just finished "Lock in" by John Scalzi. I thought it was a fun ride but it has the same problem that most Scalzi books do in that it relies far too heavily on coincidence to move the story along.

--NSP

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: June 23, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »

what were the other two?

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and "A Scanner Darkly". I still have quite a few more to go.
Philip Dick was a genius. I highly recommend Flow my tears, the policemen said, Ubik and Dr. Bloodmoney, or How We Got Along After the Bomb.

I'm reading The Satanic Bible because I was curious. Those satanists actually seem very nice and reasonable fellows.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: June 24, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »

what were the other two?

androids is really really interesting to compare with blade runner. it's almost totally different themes despite same source material.

also martian timeslip is a great and often overlooked book by him. i've never been able to "crack" the valis trilogy, but i will give it another shot at some point.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1826 on: June 26, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »

Get lit: http://www.rulit.me/programRead.php?program_id=220676&page=1

fergie77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: June 27, 2016, 02:33:42 PM »

Just finished reading "Trust me: I'm Lying" by Ryan Holiday, it's about media manipulation. Pretty interesting to see how the world works, saw what he was talking about in the immediate aftermath of Prince's death, quite scary tbh.

Just started reading "The Millionaire Fastlane" by MJ Demarco. Which is basically exactly what it says haha.

Can you share more about what you saw in the media lying?

Sorry I hadn't seen this message, not sure if I can turn on notifications for quoted messages on this site or not?

Anyway, in regards to Prince's death it wasn't necessarily the media lying which I was referring to. It was how the media reports stories and "cross-report" between sites. For example, the original story came out on TMZ, a website notorious for lack of fact checking and shady practices. The book went into great detail into how such sites like TMZ, Gawker etc get their stories and publish before any confirmation of the facts have been done. In the case of Prince it unfortunately happened to be true, however you could see how all of the main news publishers quoted a "report" by TMZ as if it was fact. It was basically a race to post as quickly as possible to gain advert views and therefore up revenue.

It happened once before in the case of Steve Jobs. A template obituary was released while he was still alive and the entire world reported it as fact. Nobody bothered to fact check, nothing. Imagine how horrible it must have been for his family when he really died to report the news, knowing that people might not believe it. Hardly the thing you'd want when a situation like that occurs.

It's an interesting read anyway. Covers many topics.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1828 on: June 27, 2016, 03:23:46 PM »

Just finished reading "Trust me: I'm Lying" by Ryan Holiday, it's about media manipulation. Pretty interesting to see how the world works, saw what he was talking about in the immediate aftermath of Prince's death, quite scary tbh.

Just started reading "The Millionaire Fastlane" by MJ Demarco. Which is basically exactly what it says haha.

The book went into great detail into how such sites like TMZ, Gawker etc get their stories and publish before any confirmation of the facts have been done. In the case of Prince it unfortunately happened to be true, however you could see how all of the main news publishers quoted a "report" by TMZ as if it was fact. It was basically a race to post as quickly as possible

Cheers! Tigs isn't that fancy - quotes are just pasting the text in. I use "show new replies to your post" in the top left and read the threads that way. Thanks for sharing.

On that note, I read an article in Wired about how Buzzfeed generates their stories by creating title first then rapidly iterating the content from 1-2 lines to several paragraphs with links. It helped them capture the eyeballs on some big event (..forget which..) because as it was being spread, it was being updated. Interesting seeing it from the other side.

Personally I just started blocking news.ycombinator.com, gamasutra.com to prevent myself from reading all day.. just finished Economies of Cities and onto Shadows of Reality.

fergie77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: June 29, 2016, 08:19:49 AM »

The book went into great detail into how such sites like TMZ, Gawker etc get their stories and publish before any confirmation of the facts have been done. In the case of Prince it unfortunately happened to be true, however you could see how all of the main news publishers quoted a "report" by TMZ as if it was fact. It was basically a race to post as quickly as possible

Cheers! Tigs isn't that fancy - quotes are just pasting the text in. I use "show new replies to your post" in the top left and read the threads that way. Thanks for sharing.

On that note, I read an article in Wired about how Buzzfeed generates their stories by creating title first then rapidly iterating the content from 1-2 lines to several paragraphs with links. It helped them capture the eyeballs on some big event (..forget which..) because as it was being spread, it was being updated. Interesting seeing it from the other side.

Personally I just started blocking news.ycombinator.com, gamasutra.com to prevent myself from reading all day.. just finished Economies of Cities and onto Shadows of Reality.

Funny you should say that, the book has a section dedicated to that very practice! And cheers for the tip, that's going to make things so much easier! Haha

seelanpalay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: July 04, 2016, 12:18:50 AM »

Neuromancer.
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1831 on: July 04, 2016, 01:54:10 AM »

Going through the complete works of Arthur Rimbaud at the moment. It's interesting to read the sleazy and angst-ridden musings of the foul mouthed young gentleman.

Albeit, I always feel kind of weird reading translated poetry knowing how important phrasing is to the form. I kind of have to invest blind trust into the translator.
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1832 on: July 04, 2016, 12:57:08 PM »

Neuromancer.
I could never get into this book; I can appreciate where it came from and what it does it just wasn't my cup of tea. I loved both Snowcrash and Altered Carbon though!

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: July 04, 2016, 01:04:39 PM »

Escher Godel and Bach. Pretty slow read. 10 pages a day is about all I can do.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1834 on: July 04, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »

Escher Godel and Bach. Pretty slow read. 10 pages a day is about all I can do.
Ah that's a dense one! I only made it about 2/3s way through. The puzzles got tricky. Enjoying?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: July 05, 2016, 12:59:13 AM »

GEB.. now there's a book I never managed to get through without falling asleep. It's not so much dense as it is opaque; I know the whole point is symbol manipulation, but there are more than a few points where a handful of clear illustrations would have been much easier to decipher than the pages required to describe it.
JeffBerk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: July 08, 2016, 10:18:51 AM »

Right now i'm reading an Article. Btw seems interesting, what do you think guys?

http://blog.livecoding.tv/2016/07/04/work-life-balance-tips-for-game-developers-programmers/
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1837 on: July 14, 2016, 06:39:45 AM »

Right now i'm reading an Article. Btw seems interesting, what do you think guys?

http://blog.livecoding.tv/2016/07/04/work-life-balance-tips-for-game-developers-programmers/

Yeah, pretty standard. Unfortunately gamedev is tough Smiley

I'm reading Road to Reality, which is a much more accessible text on how the world (physics) work than I expected.

Vampade
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1838 on: July 14, 2016, 06:48:43 AM »

Siddharta by Herman Hesse, it talks about the spiritual journey of a boy, interesting book but if you don't know what a brahmin is you're out lol

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: July 14, 2016, 06:42:46 PM »

I've found myself reading a lot more SciFi and Fantasy short stories over the series I used to read. Sometimes it feels like taking too much of a risk to try the first in a series and have it suck. Short stories may suck but it never feels like they've wasted much of your time.

And right now I'm working through The Best Science Fiction of the Year: Volume 1.
Lackluster name, but a great collection of stories.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic