Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:56:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211203 times)
Allen robert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: July 28, 2016, 03:23:04 AM »

I finally found my favorite Adult Sweary Coloring Book !... I just bought mine recently
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1841 on: July 28, 2016, 05:14:22 AM »

Well, I just started on "The Monk" for the third time. Not that I had difficulty getting through it either of the previous times but something else got in the way.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1842 on: July 29, 2016, 01:55:40 PM »

i'm reading The Name of the Wind. after a moratorium on fantasy after high school (the game of thrones hype machine is really fucking obnoxious) i decided to pick this bad boi up and wow i'm really enjoying it! this rothfuss guy is the real deal

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1843 on: July 31, 2016, 02:56:42 AM »

i'm reading The Name of the Wind. after a moratorium on fantasy after high school (the game of thrones hype machine is really fucking obnoxious) i decided to pick this bad boi up and wow i'm really enjoying it! this rothfuss guy is the real deal
Yeah, he is very good I wish the third book would come soon, or even info about the progress. Then again I might have been spoiled by Robin Hobb's generally predictable and trustworthy release schedule Shrug

Recently read Quantum Thief trilogy (or Jan Le Flambeur trilogy) by Hannu Rajaniemi. Really good scifi though a bit hard to get into at first. Now began Pushing Ice from Reynolds but haven't really gotten into it much.

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: July 31, 2016, 03:04:41 AM »

Reading The Etched City by K. J. Bishop. Loving the setting so far, though the writing is proving to be a bit tiring for a not-native speaker. Lots of new words I haven't heard before, like bathos - it's the contrary of pathos! And it sounds so silly!
The English language truly is full of wonders.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1845 on: August 02, 2016, 10:34:58 AM »

Yeah, he is very good I wish the third book would come soon, or even info about the progress. Then again I might have been spoiled by Robin Hobb's generally predictable and trustworthy release schedule Shrug

Recently read Quantum Thief trilogy (or Jan Le Flambeur trilogy) by Hannu Rajaniemi. Really good scifi though a bit hard to get into at first. Now began Pushing Ice from Reynolds but haven't really gotten into it much.
Most of Reynolds' stuff is dry at first, give it a bit; I really enjoyed it.

Gliggo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: August 02, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »

I'm binge-reading Terry Pratchett, just done with "Thud!", I'm reading the Moist books now :D
and0
Level 0

I do things and translate stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1847 on: August 02, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »

Wheel of Time, again. Only made it to book 6 last time around before uni consumed all my free time, so I'm giving it another go. At book 4 now and it's still one of the best series ever written.

I got pink cats with jetpacks right here.
Winnie the Pooh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: January 11, 2017, 03:02:06 AM »

Steven Stosny's Soar Above: How to Use the Most Profound Part of Your Brain under Any Kind of Stress.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1849 on: January 11, 2017, 10:10:38 AM »

almost done with the sequel, The Wise Man's Fear now after taking a lil break. still sooooooo good. very eager to read the conclusion, if it ever comes out.

_glitch
« Reply #1850 on: January 11, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »

Goethe's Faust. Der Tragödie erster und zweiter Teil.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1851 on: January 12, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »

While I'm new to the concept of reading I've been reading a bunch of novels in The Culture series by Iain M Banks:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheCulture

If anyone knows good distant future post scarcity sci-fi/fantasy lmk.

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1852 on: January 14, 2017, 04:27:59 AM »

The Girl Philippa By Robert William Chambers

GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1853 on: February 17, 2017, 12:16:34 AM »

While I'm new to the concept of reading I've been reading a bunch of novels in The Culture series by Iain M Banks:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheCulture

If anyone knows good distant future post scarcity sci-fi/fantasy lmk.

Reading through these too, I love them. Though not always post-scarcity, Kim Stanley Robinson's books are great, particularly '2312'.

Read Hyperion by Dan Simmons first if you haven't though. One of the ultimate sci-fi books, and not too big and heavy to get into.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1854 on: February 17, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »

just started Universal Harvester by John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats fame. it's creepy and kind of beautiful. i really liked his last book, Wolf in White Van, too.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1855 on: February 17, 2017, 12:39:42 PM »

Universal Harvester sounds like a creepy title, what's it about?

I'm re-reading Blindsight (sci-fi written by a marine biologist). Seeing like a State: How certain schemes to improve the human condition have failed, City of Quartz: Excavating the Future in Los Angeles. About to start Rainbows End on recommendations and re-read Accelerando because of https://twitter.com/cstross/status/831668291944976384

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1856 on: February 17, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »

Universal Harvester sounds like a creepy title, what's it about?
that's funny, because it's actually the name of an agricultural manufacturing company. it's about this kid in the middle of iowa in 2000 that notices that there's some weird stuff going on with some of the tapes at the video store he works at.

GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1857 on: February 17, 2017, 06:21:37 PM »

Blindsight is very good.

The Southern Reach trilogy borderline creepy, but more just straight mystery sci-fi. Very very very difficult to put down.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: February 17, 2017, 06:25:53 PM »

Blindsight is very good.

Blindsight is one of my favorite novels of all time!

Right now I'm reading Children of Time - great exploration of the use of cryogenics and evolving life over time. Long but fascinating.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
NineTattooedDragons
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1859 on: February 18, 2017, 02:23:37 PM »

Just picked up The Icelandic Sagas. Very inspiring stuff. Nothing like the older legends, in my opinion.

ShuyanSaga.com/
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic