Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:20:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 209808 times)
Cray
Level 0

can't upload an avatar :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 08:15:29 PM »

Ravenloft: Spectre of the Black Rose

It has a "bloody cobbler" in it Smiley

▓█▓ rpg maker vx
▓█▓ cemetery manager
PaleFox
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 08:16:50 PM »

@Sean:
Terry Pratchett's great Smiley. I wish they'd chose him to write the new Hitchhiker book instead of Eoin Colfer WTF.

On that note, though, I should point out I recently picked up Children of Hurin, if you know what that is. It reads like the other Tolkien does; I'm kind of surprised if I'm honest. Actually pretty good.
Fuzz
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 10:18:01 PM »

I'm simultaneously reading I, Claudius and Finnegans Wake. I, Claudius is by Robert Graves and it's told from the perspective of the Roman emperor Claudius. Finnegans Wake is by James Joyce and it is pretty much the weirdest and hardest to read book ever.

Quote from:  Excerpt: Finnegans Wake
His mouthfull of ecstasy (for Shing-Yung-Thing in Shina from Yoruyume across the Timor Sea), herepong (maladventure!) shot pinging up through the errorooth of his wisdom (who thought him a Fonar all, feastking of shellies by googling Lovvey, regally freytherem, eagelly plumed, and wasbut gumboil owrithy prods wretched some horsery megee plods coffin acid odarkery pluds dense floppens mugurdy) as thought it had been zawhen intwo.

Edit:
Just finished Watchmen, and now for school I'm reading The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm.

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm is fucking great.
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 10:46:22 PM »

Lots of good books in this thread! Who knew indie gamesmiths had such good taste in books? Beer!

I'm reading Infinite Jest by the recently deceased David Foster Wallace <3
I am also currently reading Infinite Jest, about half way through so far. I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

My previous books were Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road', Alan Moore's 'The Watchmen', and John Hodgman's 'More Information Than You Require.'

postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 11:16:51 PM »

I'm reading Whitechapel Gods by S.M. Peters.

Steampunk, baby!

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 11:22:46 PM »

John Hodgman's 'More Information Than You Require.'

I have considered this a few times. How is it?
Seth
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 12:21:02 AM »

Just finished Watchmen, and now for school I'm reading The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm.

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm is fucking great.

I bought that randomly when I was a kid and loved it, I didn't realize that it was a book anyone else that anyone remembered or even paid attention to!  I still think about it sometimes, thanks for reminding me of the name.

I just finished McTeague by Frank Norris and some short stories by Hemingway (Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber, Fifty Grand).  Now and then I go to Donald Barthelme and see what weird stuff he had been up to.  I picked up The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano, since he's apparently the big thing right now, so hopefully I'll crack that open sometime soon.  Also been reading short stories by Dan Chaon from his first collection, Fitting Ends, they just aren't up to par with his second collection.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 02:31:57 AM »

Slowly rereading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.
Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
I'm reading After Dark right now (by the same author if you didn't know).

Also:
I'm simultaneously reading I, Claudius and Finnegans Wake. I, Claudius is by Robert Graves and it's told from the perspective of the Roman emperor Claudius.
Holy shit, I love I Claudius!

... The TV show, that is.  Giggle

Biggerfish
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 03:01:53 AM »

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. Yes it was a book first, and yes you can ridicule me. Lips Sealed
I am considering buying it. Though it's low on my list.

I've been on a (new) space opera kick. Just read The New Space Opera, an anthology of space opera shorts (amazing stuff) and currently have Nancy Kress' Crossfire and Crucible. So far they are shaping up great, I really love Nancy Kress (Probability series were great, need to read the third).

Underneath that is Chasm City by Alistair Reynolds, more space opera. No idea how it will turn out but I've liked other stuff I've read by him.

I hardly read though, so these will take some time yet to finish.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 03:06:28 AM »

interzone

Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 04:29:24 AM »

Just finished A Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams. I never really liked the Dirk Gently universe before, but the unfinshed story at the end of this one was awesome.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:32:33 AM by McAirwaffle » Logged
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 05:34:09 AM »

after recently getting no sleep finishing up to the wizard and the glass in the dark tower series, I recently finished.

now I'm doing the same thing with The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. definately recomend it, it won a pulitzer.
Jóhannes G.
Level 0

Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 05:50:46 AM »

• Dark Tower VI : Song of Susannah by Stephen King
  • Salka Valka by Halldór Laxness
  • Stikker by Steen Langstrup

- Jóhannes G.portfolio
jute
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 08:29:50 AM »

I'm reading Infinite Jest by the recently deceased David Foster Wallace <3
I am also currently reading Infinite Jest, about half way through so far. I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

I'm on my fourth reading of Infinite Jest right now.  It gets better every time!

Before that, I read Herzog on Herzog, which is book of interviews with Werner Herzog about his work.

Fuzz
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »

Just finished A Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams. I never really liked the Dirk Gently universe before, but the unfinshed story at the end of this one was awesome.

I've read all the Hitchhiker's Guide books and also the two finished Dirk Gently ones, but I haven't read A Salmon of Doubt. How was it?
Saker
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »

Some of Naguib Mahfouz's novels , I've finished Cairo Trilogy, still reading midaq alley Smiley
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »

A Panther is a Black Cat - Reginald Major
The Past Through Tomorrow - Robert A. Heinlein
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 01:34:57 PM »

Ernest Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls. It took a while to get into from me but I'm really enjoying it now
Fuzz
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »

I'm actually in the middle of about 5 or 6 books now.

They're On the Road by Kerouac, Howl and other Poems by Allen Ginsberg, Man Alone with Himself by Nietzsche, Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, sort of half-reading some Baudelaire and a dictionary of symbols. I think I need more fiction

Persepolis is really good, both the graphic novel and the movie. The movie was actually really true to the book.
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »

I've read all the Hitchhiker's Guide books and also the two finished Dirk Gently ones, but I haven't read A Salmon of Doubt. How was it?
The book is mostly essays and stuff that Adams wrote for newspapers, but also contain some short stories at the end. One featuring the young Zaphod Beeblebrox that I thought was particularly silly and great (think that one might have been published before). The last part is about 70 pages of pretty solid unfinished Dirk Gently stuff.

I liked it alot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic