Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:44:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211023 times)
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 04:43:49 PM »

after recently getting no sleep finishing up to the wizard and the glass in the dark tower series, I recently finished.

now I'm doing the same thing with The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. definately recomend it, it won a pulitzer.

I'm reading that too, it's awesome.

Also, dracula.
MashPotato
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 05:59:37 PM »

I'm reading Infinite Jest by the recently deceased David Foster Wallace <3
Hey, me too Smiley  Nearing the end now, so this thread will be great for deciding what comes next!

Nava
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »

Wow, I've never met anyone who has read Infinite Jest before, but it appears to be the norm here! Awesome Smiley
I'm also reading The Future Dictionary of America (I <3 McSweeney's) as a sort of casual aside to the main course of David Foster Wallace.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »

Nothing right now, but within these days I'll start reading Lovecraft's Rnadolph Carter's Cycle, a group of tales starting with "The Declaration Of Radolph Carter" and ending with "Dream Quest Of The Unknown Kadath"

Jrsquee
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 10:53:43 PM »

Finnegans Wake is by James Joyce and it is pretty much the weirdest and hardest to read book ever.

Good luck with that!  I tried to read it a couple times, farthest I ever got was thirty pages.  I am now of the belief that it's meant to be opened to a random page and read like some sort of absurd poetry.  Just enjoying the sounds of the words together like flavors in a complex dish.
Fuzz
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 12:15:29 AM »

Finnegans Wake is by James Joyce and it is pretty much the weirdest and hardest to read book ever.

Good luck with that!  I tried to read it a couple times, farthest I ever got was thirty pages.  I am now of the belief that it's meant to be opened to a random page and read like some sort of absurd poetry.  Just enjoying the sounds of the words together like flavors in a complex dish.

I've tried that and it works. But I'd rather read it front to back. Also, according to Wikipedia, some experts have almost figured out the plot!
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 03:24:45 AM »

The first four books in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2009, 03:33:38 AM »

I have this problem with books, it's not that I don't enjoy books or anything, but I always get sleepy. Even if I'm enjoying a book and the story is compelling I get sleepy. I know this is pretty weird, but does anyone have this problem?

And the last book I read was Kafka's Metamorphosis, and that was some time ago. I am currently and slowly reading Jack-Alain Léger's Mongsignore.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2009, 03:41:45 AM »

I have this problem with books, it's not that I don't enjoy books or anything, but I always get sleepy. Even if I'm enjoying a book and the story is compelling I get sleepy. I know this is pretty weird, but does anyone have this problem?

Reading makes me a bit sleepy after time, and I sometimes read to make myself tired so that I fall asleep. So you're not alone. Anyway, this is what bookmarks are for! Smiley
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2009, 09:09:22 AM »

you guy's should consider yourselve's lucky. a good book practically drives me to insomnia 

Tired
PaleFox
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »

I can stay awake as long as I like if I'm reading... stop and I get drowsy again almost immediately. This causes awkward problems like when I begin reading a book and finish at 2 a.m.  Embarrassed
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »

I go on a wave pattern.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2009, 04:01:23 PM »

I have this problem with books, it's not that I don't enjoy books or anything, but I always get sleepy. Even if I'm enjoying a book and the story is compelling I get sleepy.
This happens to me the first few times I hear particularly complex and interesting music (which is generally the kind I prefer to listen to). I just sort of get absorbed into the patterns and before I know it my head is touching the table.
edit: Same thing happens to me when I'm trying to figure out plotlines in my head sometimes, for much the same reason. THAT'S a pain in the ass because sometimes it makes me forget what I was thinking of.

Fuzz
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »

I can stay awake as long as I like if I'm reading... stop and I get drowsy again almost immediately. This causes awkward problems like when I begin reading a book and finish at 2 a.m.  Embarrassed

Same. When I first read the Hitchhikers Guide series I read from about 9pm to 3am for a week (it took me that long to read them). I usually do most of my reading in bed.
Jrsquee
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »

And the last book I read was Kafka's Metamorphosis

I enjoyed this book immensely.
Renton
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »

Right now, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
I wanna read The Silmarillion if I can find it in English.
Fuzz
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »

Right now, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
I wanna read The Silmarillion if I can find it in English.
Wasn't The Silmarillion originally written in English? Seeing as Tolkien lived in the UK?
PaleFox
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2009, 04:41:35 PM »

The Silmarillion is dense and not a great read, in my opinion. I couldn't get through it any of the times I've tried. You could try The Book of Lost Tales or Children of Hurin if you haven't read them, though.

Or The Lord of the Rings, I've heard that's good Wink
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2009, 06:11:06 PM »

I am reading Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley. It's amazing that this is a fantastic Sci-Fi story by our modern standards, and it was written in 1926. It's a dystopian novel, but not exactly dark. It is great fun.
Fuzz
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2009, 08:06:31 PM »

I am reading Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley. It's amazing that this is a fantastic Sci-Fi story by our modern standards, and it was written in 1926. It's a dystopian novel, but not exactly dark. It is great fun.
Brave New World is great! If you like that kind of thing I recommend Divided Kingdom by Rupert Thomson (I need not mention 1984 seeing as pretty much everyone has read that). Brave New World Revisited is also pretty good. Aldous Huxley wrote it in the early 60s, and it's basically about how dictatorships work and how society is becoming more and more like the society in Brave New World.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic