Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:53:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingROCKROCKET - My first game guys! Hope you enjoy it
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ROCKROCKET - My first game guys! Hope you enjoy it  (Read 1043 times)
Backterria
Level 0

A random artist,a random gamer

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2014, 03:47:03 AM »

Hello World! I am a professional artist and a long time gamer.
  In January 2014 I started ''playing'' with Gamemaker Studio so I could expose (eventually) my vision about art and games.
  Throughout the year I've had many development tests but never really finished anything.
  One day, as I was wandering through the net, I got myself hanging around the Ludum Dare site.
The timing was perfect! An hour was remaining to announce the theme for the next Ludum Dare! And it hit me!
Of course with my little experience as a developer I had to take part in the Jam which is 72 hours.
  The theme was 'Entire Game on One Screen''.

As fast as I could, I started scratching my head for some ideas and mechanics...

Minutes before the deadline I was able to finish my first game!
I hope you check it here http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=46642 and you can always leave some feedback or rate it!
Thanks anyway traveler
@Backterria
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:52:33 PM by Backterria » Logged
Clikin Games
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 04:03:15 PM »

It is kinda cool, but you should include a camera and better instructions.
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 05:47:03 PM »

Hey Backterria,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

John_Stanford
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »

I feel like I should tag my feedback as spoilers for anyone else planning to play the game, so: spoilers! lol

Well, obviously, your game looks and sounds fantastic. I loved the feel you created with the A/V. I also appreciated the incredibly minimalist "story" of crashing into this cavern and rebuilding what seems to be an ancient rocket to escape, and I do think your minimalist approach positively served the feel of the game, but I personally feel like the balance between minimalism, discovery, and a sense of direction is still a bit off.

I think, off the jump, having the crash into the water occur during the fade-in obscured what would have been a great indicator of where to be looking to actually see my input affecting the game screen and, because the character was so small, it actually took me a good 30 seconds or more to notice I was actually controlling something. The pulsing energy bits were an obvious draw and my immediate assumption was that I should collect them. The middle white skull (I'm sure they're not skulls, but that's where my mind went) reaffirmed this for me, but the S-monoliths and the second white skull just distracted me. Because the hidden caverns are not indicated and can be a bit difficult to find, it was difficult for me to be sure I wasn't approaching the S-monoliths incorrectly and that the second white skull was not barring progress to complete collection of the energy pulses. It felt odd to me that the game was willing to pop-up some kind of indicator that I was meant to collect things, but not make an attempt to clarify the order in any way.

That said, all of that did pay off in some way when the answer was discovered. Learning when I could interact with the S-monoliths was nice. Finding hidden caverns was nice. Finding the ship pieces and pulsing underneath to rebuild it was nice. All of that contributed to the great feel. Unfortunately, I think the inputs it encouraged in me distracted from that feel and were a bit frustrating, mostly mashing the interact button everywhere and repeatedly running/jumping into walls. My character was exploring this mysterious and ancient cavern most efficiently by being a frantic, bumbling maniac.

So that's why I say the balance is off. I wouldn't want to lose the overall feel and those moments of discovery, but I do feel like deeper consideration needs to go into guiding the player. Something like, perhaps the interact could "ping" nearby hidden caverns with a small burst of light, becoming more effective/obvious as you pick up more energy pulses (with some indication that pulses are "improving" the interact button). Maybe the S-monoliths and the indicator skull could be "grayed out" or obscured until the energy pulses are collected, where the always-visible S-monoliths could "activate" indicating that the player should back-track. Or instead, S-monoliths (and even the left rocket piece) could spark or appear to visibly/audibly "fail to respond" to the player interacting early on to show that the player is pressing the correct inputs, just at the wrong stage of the game. Anyway, these are just thoughts, but I do feel, personally, the answer is likely in providing more feedback to player inputs.

Sorry for the massive response. I usually have more thoughts on things I enjoy and I also tend to ramble, but hopefully what's in here is of some use to you. Thanks for posting your game so I could play!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic