Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:17:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSelling out
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Selling out  (Read 6577 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »

I don't think there's all that many constrictions. I mean, any game can sell if it's good, no matter what is in it. Some games will sell more than others, but you can make basically any game you want, and if it's good, and your marketing's good, people will buy it. You could make a living making text adventure art-games if they're good enough and you're good enough at marketing.

mirosurabu
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »

That's probably true. However, when I said "business common-sense" and "business-friendly" I thought about people who take no risks with game design and instead just choose the safest route. This may apply to many casual game developers. The graphics have to follow certain, verified trend, the gameplay should be simple-to-learn, everything should be obvious, etc. Not much different than mainstream scene. Cactus wouldn't be Cactus if he worked with this kind of constraints in mind.

Also, they (OP's team), as far as I could understand, blamed everything on game design, not on their marketing efforts.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »

I personally can't enjoy games where I constantly have a gnawing feeling that other players - who can afford to spend more money - always will have an advantage over me. Consequently, I don't play such games. Is it wrong for you to sell out? Not really. You should do what you need to do. But for me, it will ruin the game Sad

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »

I think the biggest problem is spending that long on a flash game.

Yea I agree with you. Although we'll have to see how it all pans out after we release (soon). Though from a little experimentation with prototypey flash games and selling those off on FGL compared to the time drain (and emotional drain) of spending so long on a single game it's hard to make a case for that kind of commitment. At least for now.

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »

As I was reading that, it almost sounded like a Death March project.

I like turtles.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic