Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:06:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRe: Tower57 - Dieselpunk Pixel-Shooter (dinosaurs included)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Re: Tower57 - Dieselpunk Pixel-Shooter (dinosaurs included)  (Read 65853 times)
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2015, 02:40:05 AM »

That main menu idea is amazing!  Kiss
Great feeling of height thanks to the background.

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2015, 06:04:34 AM »

Your artwork and arsenal are dang fine! I really like the detailed programming explanations as well. I'll be watching for updates.

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »

Hi everyone!

This week, as the race continues to add enough polish in time for next week's A-maze ./Berlin, we focused on the character selection menu and the in-game ui. On the code side, we also added a working ammo system, respawn points, and the typical invincibility period / flashing bit after getting hit.

And finally I fixed a nasty memory leak in one of the core functions of the engine - not as bad as is sounds, but definitely not something you want to have in when you're about to leave the game running for several hours at a hopefully-packed game convention so... yay ^_^'

Anyway, enough with the boring details, here are the shiny new gifs, starting off with the character selection menu:

The in-game ui:

And that sweet-sweet flashing:

That's it for this update; next week we'll try to post some pictures of our experience at A-maze Smiley

Thanks for tuning in!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:40:24 PM by tower57 » Logged

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2015, 11:12:29 AM »

Hello everybody!

This week the update will be a little different than usual, as Cyangmou and myself attended the AMAZE ./Berlin Indiegames Festival, and the experience was nothing short of … well … amazing (in no small part because it was our first time showing the game ^_^’)

We took a few pictures to share with everybody, but what the pictures fail to convey is how incredibly satisfying it felt to watch others have a good time with something we created, and the amount of really good feedback we received from players, so much so that we ended up with a long list of changes - some of them pretty substantial - that we want to implement based on said feedback (more on that later…)

But first things first, the festival!

AMAZE ./Berlin was taking place at the Urban Spree, which is a “1700 sqm artistic and re-creative place focused on contemporary art and urban cultures” located on the banks of the Spree river in Berlin, Germany.

The crowd was a healthy mix of gamers, press, and publishers (which I didn’t necessarily expect)

The main entrance, with a pretty clever display of the games nominated for the awards.

After being assigned our machine, we faced our first bump in the road: the game crashed at launch while trying to initialize the audio device! It turned out the sound library really didn’t like it when no output device was plugged in (that was also our first bug in what was to become a pretty long list!). Thankfully Cyangmou had a pair of earphones with him, so we were able to work around the issue, and we were ready to go!

Yay, a player! (incidentally he provided very insightful feedback - if you see this … thanks man!)

Let’s check what’s going on here!

However our second bump in the road - one which would cause me to mentally facepalm throughout the rest of the day - followed soon after: everybody, and I do mean *everybody*, was running out of ammo barely 5 minutes into the game.

Guess we didn’t anticipate how much fun blowing s**t up would be ^_^ It got so bad that we started taking turns typing the ammo cheat code over and over (why I made that cheat code a simple “refill” as opposed to a more permanent “infinite ammo” is beyond me…).

As it became painfully obvious that we wouldn’t be able to interact much with players if we were busy repeatedly typing in cheatcodes, I decided to head back home to grab my laptop (mistake number 2: should’ve brought it along in the first place…) and make an emergency build.

One hour later I was back, build in hand, and we could finally let players have some fun and socialize a bit more with them!

Props for the sick bag!

We also had quite a few girls try the game

Discreetly watching somebody play. Not pictured: my huge nerd-gasm from trying to wrap my head around the fact that a stranger is playing my game and seemingly enjoying it

There were also some pretty cool “non-video games” (not sure what to call them?) such as Magnesia, a multi-player game where you drag metal balls around a plexiglass maze with your “controller” (a big fat magnet) and must deposit them in special slots to score points:

Also, world-famous 1D dungeon crawler Line Wobbler:

Alongside some pretty interesting VR games:

And of course indie-darlings such as Crawl:

But before wrapping up the day, we had one more surprise waiting (and by “we” I mean Cyangmou… the festival ran until 3am and I had to go to work the next day ^_^’ ). Some of the staff, having seen the game during the day but unable to play at the time due to being at work, approached Cyangmou and asked to have a go!

All in all it was an incredibly positive experience, and a great reminder of why all those sleepless nights spent coding and painfully arranging pixels really *are* woth it.

As a final word I just want to thank everybody who stopped by and tried out the game; you are all the reason why people make games, watching you play was mad fun, and your feedback, whether positive or negative, will help us reach our goal of putting out a kick-ass demo, so, you know, thanks for that too Smiley

Cheers!

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2015, 08:47:18 AM »

Welcome back everybody!

This week we’ve been soaking in all the feedback from last week’s play-sessions, and the result is 42 features / changes (and 5 bugs ^_^) which have made the cut for this summer’s public demo. These features range from things like more clearly identifiable doors all the way to new weapons, bosses, and more!

We are also re-designing the demo level practically from the ground up, as well as introducing additional enemies, but more on that in further updates… Until then, here’s what we’ve been up to this week:

One of the most important insights we gained from watching people play was how difficult doors, especially east / west doors, were to identify. Players would frequently miss them entirely and get stuck in a room until they accidentally walked by them, triggering the “open” animation. Therefore the logical fix was to redesign the doors Smiley

Cyangmou made the opening more obvious by removing the piece of ceiling that hid the top of the door, added some glowing arrows which also double up as indicators of whether the door is locked or not, and optimised the shape of the surrounding walls so characters will smoothly slide towards the door when attempting to get through it in a rush.

Another piece of feedback we took very much to heart was that players wanted to jump in after watching somebody play alone for a bit, however they would need to start a new game in “2-player” mode in order to do so.

Taking a cue from arcade games, we added the ability to jump right into an ongoing game by inserting a coin and pressing start on the second controller (ok, you don’t actually have to insert a coin anywhere…), then selecting your character through a mini-ingame-portrait (think Final Fight, TMNT, etc.).

(keep in mind the portrait graphics are placeholders, they will get a proper scaled down version, a frame, etc.)

And finally we’ve been playing around with different turret variations (this one isn’t really based on feedback, just something we've had in our backlog for a while ^_^)

We got our standard “bullet turret”:

But also a far more explosive “missile turret”:

And finally the deadly “laser turret”:

Next up will probably be the “lightning turret” and the “sawblade turret” Wink

Considering the great reaction we had to our hastily-cobbled-together demo, we are pushing forward for an early / mid-summer release of a more polished demo, which will include more levels, new challenges, and a generally tighter experience!

... also in totally unrelated news, Kickstarter just launched in Germany…

Have a great week everybody!

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »

Taking a cue from arcade games, we added the ability to jump right into an ongoing game by inserting a coin and pressing start on the second controller (ok, you don’t actually have to insert a coin anywhere…), then selecting your character through a mini-ingame-portrait (think Final Fight, TMNT, etc.).

This is really great.

and Good news that Kickstarter launched in Germany.  (your team would definitly succeed if crowfunding)
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »

Everything in this thread looks awesome! But I would have almost missed it because the name "Tower 57" really doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't raise my curiosity or establish some expectation or remind me of some games with a similar name I had enjoyed. It's a hollow name like "Area 51". It sounds like someone who wants to make a post in a forum who needs to come up with a name and just picks the first thing that is free to get past that anoying registration screen. So if anything I expected to find a sloppy, careless game that I wouldn't want to play.

I don't want to diss you guys. But "maybe you could pick a better name" really doesn't get across what I mean.

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2015, 03:37:56 PM »

Two player? Turrets? Weapon combos with friends?
Hmm...I would suggest a friendly fire option just for fun. Or maybe a pvp mode. Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
But great still! Glad you got some good feedback!

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Benitosub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »

@Crabby yes, friendly fire is already built-in Smiley we're thinking about maybe some kind of pvp mode as well.

@lithander I hear what you're saying, however the connection the name is supposed to establish is to 40's / 50's Golden Era science fiction novels and places such as Vault 13 in Fallout, and it actually has a meaning within the story of the game. So while I can appreciate that the name didn't resonate with you, hopefully it will be more evocative for science-fiction lovers?

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2015, 03:38:51 AM »

So while I can appreciate that the name didn't resonate with you, hopefully it will be more evocative for science-fiction lovers?

Hopefully! I love fallout, the art-deco style and age, film noir and Bioshock... so the game's setting and style realy *does* resonate with me. The logo works for me, too!

Not trying to convince you but I think the point of Vault 13 is that you think "wow there are so many underground bunkers like this that they are numbered? There are over 100 of this, total? And in most of them happens a catastrophe? This is a way to underline the epic proportion of the apocalypse." But you learn all that over the course of the game. It's not something you'd include in an elevator pitch.

Anyway, I'll stop nitpicking about the name now!

Join Indies
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2015, 10:51:29 AM »

Wow, amazing pixel art. The animation, lighting and detail are all very tight. Good luck on your Kickstarter, but you won't need any. :p

Watch videos of new indie games, updated daily. Promote your game on http://www.joinindies.com
Benitosub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2015, 03:18:56 AM »

@Join Indies thank you for the kinds words! For better or worse I think luck (and visibility) still plays a part in getting funded, so we will see how that goes, but thanks for the support!

@lithander on the contrary please nitpick away! Maybe it came off wrong in my original reply but I really do see where you're coming from, and think you make a valid point, it's just that at this point I'm not sure it will change so I'm hoping the game's other qualities will somehow make up for it ^_^ All feedback is *always* welcome though, how are we going to learn otherwise Smiley ?

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2015, 11:36:54 AM »

Welcome to another update!

Last week we showed the mockups for the new doors (since most people seemed to have trouble with the old ones). This week we put them in the actual game, so here is a side-by-side comparison:

old

new

old

new

Hopefully the new doors are less confusing, but of course feedback would be highly appreciated ^_^

We also reworked the “locked” status in an attempt to improve clarity, and we added an “unlocking” transition:

And finally, we wanted the transitions between levels to be as seamless as possible, so considering the game takes place in a tower, elevators seemed like the most sensible choice:

if you look closely you will notice a short freeze when the new level is swapped in; eventually I’ll stream the loading on a separate thread so the transition will be truly seamless.

And that’s all for this week! Some more overhauls will be coming next week, as the play-testing and subsequent feedback continues to help us refine the experience, but after that it will be back to new weapons, new enemies, new mechanics, and of course working on this summer’s upcoming demo Smiley

Cheers everyone!

nightvisioncarpetbomb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2015, 09:44:28 PM »

Those explosions remind me a lot of Metal Slug.  Looks so exciting and fun!
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2015, 06:52:50 AM »

I like the light as the door opens.

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2015, 09:31:13 AM »

As for side view doors, it is still unclear if there is a door or just a fancy wall. I like the opening door feedback (changing light of opening door on the floor as you approach), but I'm not sure if it will be enough in a fast paced game like this, I would like to have situational awareness at a glance on a constantly moving background, without the need to get closer to understand if it is a door or not.

Perhaps you can try to remove one side of the door (the part below), so we can see the continous floor connecting the two rooms, only broken by a line (door) which is thinner than the wall. When we get closer, it can also slide into the wall, accompanying the light animation on the floor.

I'm talking for the sideview doors only, the ones facing the screen seems pretty nice, though can't be sure without playing if same problem also applies to them.

Gorgeous work anyway, congrats.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:47:04 AM by UmutD » Logged

CyangmouArt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2015, 07:36:40 AM »

snip

Gorgeous work anyway, congrats.

Thanks for the feedback, I played a bit more around with it and came up with this version - it's not build in yet, but I guess it adresses the (valid) critique

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2015, 02:27:45 AM »

Yes, I believe it does, great job!

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2015, 08:49:15 AM »

Damn! this looks hot!  Shocked Great art, I get an Operation Logic Bomb vibe from the graphics, but this is much better! No FB page to follow you there?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »

You should make closed elevators. The character gets in, the elevator door closes, and all we see is the Elevator moving to another plan ( include elevator music). 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic