Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:01:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRe: Tower57 - Dieselpunk Pixel-Shooter (dinosaurs included)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Re: Tower57 - Dieselpunk Pixel-Shooter (dinosaurs included)  (Read 65842 times)
Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2015, 06:17:31 AM »

This weekly update is truly wonderfull <3

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2015, 11:49:21 PM »

This game looks awesome!
Please finish it and keep up the fantastic work Smiley

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2015, 10:32:33 AM »

Hello fellow TIGSourcers!

This week I am posting the update while sick with a high fever, so I hope you’ll pardon me if I go slightly off-track ^^’

As usual we start with some new weapons (just 2 more after these, then we are finished, promise!), or rather new variations of an existing weapon: the fire grenade and the lightning grenade:

The fire grenade works just as the regular grenade, except it spawns a massive fireball upon impact:

It can be pretty useful to set things on fire which are outside of the range of your flamethrower (ok so in this case it’s a bit ridiculous, I could’ve just inched forward, but the capture window size is limited :D).

The lightning grenade on the other hand spawns a bolt of lightning which will send electric jolts down all neighboring targets, whether they be objects or enemies:

For the second part of this update, we thought we’d take you a bit behind the scenes, and show you how we put our levels together.

When brainstorming which features we wanted our tools to have - i.e., what we would use them for and how -, we came up with the following set of requirements:

- ability to create multi-layered tilemaps
- ability to easily place enemies in the level
- ability to easily place items / props in the level
- ability to easily place and edit lights in the level
- ability to assign loot to particular items / enemies
- ability to place triggers

Furthermore, if this summer’s demo is well received and we manage to secure funding to complete the game, we would really love for players to be able to mod the game as much as possible, therefore we felt the editor should be as easy and straightforward to use, even for non-experienced level designers!

With regards to the first step, the creation of the tile map, we knew there were already quite a few tools available out there - good tools! - so instead of re-inventing the wheel, we decided to evaluate a few of them, and ended up settling on Tiled (which I’m sure a lot of you are familiar with!). Why Tiled? It’s got a community, is somewhat well established, and has an open format which contains all the layer / tile / etc information that we needed ^^ ( http://www.mapeditor.org/ )

For the remaining steps however, we created our own little tool to accomodate our needs. It all starts with dragging a TMX tile map into the editor:

Maps are comprised of several layers (pictured here, 2…):

You can easily pan around the map:

Once you have imported a tile map, you will need a dictionary of possible items and enemies for the level, so you have props etc to place around. This is also done by dragging an “item dictionary file” into the editor (this one is created using another in-house little tool which we may also show at some point if ppl express interest ^^’):

Once your items and enemies dictionary is loaded, you can start placing things around. It’s really just as easy as drag and drop:

Obivously you can zoom in and out, select entities, move them around, remove them, etc.:

Placing enemies is accomplished in a similar fashion:

As well as light sources:

That’s it for this week! I really hope everybody enjoyed it ^^ Next week we’ll showcase some new game mechanics again, so stay tuned for more!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:37:40 AM by tower57 » Logged

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »

Hi everybody!

This week, real life sort of got in the way in the form of crunch time at work, so the big feature we had planned will have to wait another week ...

That’s not to say we have nothing to show though Wink

But first I wanted to quickly give a shout out to Steel Assault! I'm sure most of you are familiar with it from these very forums, but I can't for the life of me understand how, with such a modest goal - 8K! - it possibly hasn't been founded yet.

So just in case this could bring them but a single additional pledge, here is the link to their Kickstarter, please consider backing them up if you haven't already, they've only got 10 days to go!

Now with that out of the way, let's move on to the actual update:

First up is this week's new weapon: the ... huuh... "sticky orbs" (obvious working name, if anybody has any, and I do mean *any* better suggestion now is your time to shine  Cheesy)

This gun fires a pair of, well, sticky orbs (now that I'm typing this out, I'm glad we didn't call them sticky balls...), which can attach themselves to any hard surface (oh god...) and generate an electric current between the two.

It can be used to conveniently speed up your search for loot ...

... or to lay traps for unsuspecting robots:

Though the little buggers don't always co-operate:

We also wanted to show what polished items might look like in-game. Cyangmou has been putting a lot of effort into making everything feel very dynamic and alive; for example these health and ammo crates should convey a feeling of "take me! take me!"

While the little sparkle on the key-card should help visually identify it as a ... key ... item  Well, hello there!

Even currency gets its own little spinning animation:

And finally, just to check if anybody actually reads the lines between the pictures, here are a couple of blooper gifs (bugs ... gotta love them!)

Have a great week everybody,

Cheers!

Oleg Klishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »

Damn, those pickups animations! So sexy I WANNA PICK THEM Kiss! Amasing idea, why haven't anyone used that before?

Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com
lukke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2015, 06:54:29 AM »

Evil
Love it. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2015, 05:11:11 PM »

Hello everybody,

and thank you for clicking on the thread once more! This week we have new character animations, a new enemy, and of course a new weapon (who would’ve guessed huh?).

First of all, the main character (as well as any “humanoid” enemies in the game) now has a proper “strafe” animation for the legs:

Not exactly a revolutionary gameplay feature or a unique selling point, but it makes player movement just that bit cooler ^_^

Next up is our second enemy: a distant cousin of the hexapod, the flybot patrols the skies, its shadow the only give-away to its presence, until suddenly …

Obviously it looks a bit out of place inside but some levels will have open parts such as overhead bridges connecting various parts of the tower, rooftop gardens with beautiful vistas of the decaying city below, etc.

And finally, introducing our latest addition to the game’s arsenal… the stake-gun!

While it doesn’t do any damage per-se, this baby fires a harpoon-like stake…

… capable of impaling any enemy for a few seconds, giving you plenty of time to get creative:

Of course this works even better in multiplayer, and together with the ability to impale several enemies at once, will hopefully create some cool moments!

And that’s it for this week, thanks again for checking in!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:18:58 PM by tower57 » Logged

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2015, 05:21:39 PM »

Looking good! Love the nail impale gun and the sawblade gun. Not enough games with that or with a good dismemberment/gore system. Do show humanoids getting impaled with a gun though, and how they react when they do. Evil
Your game is something like what I would made if I'd gone for a twin stick shooter. Well except it would be fantasy. Keep up the fantastic work!  Hand Thumbs Up Right
yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2015, 01:32:57 AM »

So I assume the legs and body are separate entities for the strafing right? Just want to make sure. It looks very nicely done.

Benitosub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »

@Green Gospod yeah from the various comments you've posted in this thread I get the feeling we have pretty similar tastes in terms of gore and action games ^_^ Am really curious to see what it is you are working on though! And thanks for the kind words!

@yaomon17 yep that's correct, legs and body are indeed separate entities. In fact the arms and the head are also separate (if you check page... huh.. 3 I believe of this thread there are some gifs of the various parts getting chopped off by the sawblade gun ^_^). Glad you like the outcome, it looks even cooler on human enemies!

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2015, 11:11:36 AM »

Welcome back everybody,

This week’s update is all about shadows, destruction, and a new enemy!

First up: shadows. Once more, not exactly a revolutionary feature, but it certainly makes the items feel more grounded.

Next we have a new enemy, and it’s not another robot  Cheesy ! (well, kind of...) The turret is a staple of action / arcade games, and Tower57 is no exception:

Don’t let the fact that they are static fool you, these turrets have excellent aim, and when placed strategically can require some thinking to dispatch them most efficiently (so basically, the opposite of what I did in the next gif) Furthermore they will come in several (deadly) variations such as laser turret, fire turret, etc.

And finally, we have been refining item destruction, and adding several stages of "decay" rather than go from "ok" to "fully destructed" in a single step.

Melting steel columns? No problem!

This meeting is adjourned Smiley

Anybody remembers Terry Gilliam’s Brazil?

And that wraps it up for this week! Looking forward to the next update (we have something quite cool in the pipeline), until then I hope you all have a great week!

P.S.: found this while going through my stuff this week, couldn't resist the urge to post it ^_^' now I just need to find an A500 on e-bay...

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2015, 06:46:35 AM »

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS
Benitosub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »

Hehe I must admit I was wondering if anybody would catch that as I was writing the update  Cheesy

Sooooo ... nobody noticed the sunglasses ^_^ ?

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »

impressive updates as always, can't wait to see more about the world
metlslime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »

Both the art and the gameplay/animations look pitch-perfect 90's arcade shooter.

One question though, is the main character really going to be a bald naked guy?

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »

@metlslime yes and no  Wink that may or may not be up to you  Well, hello there!

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2015, 10:22:31 AM »

Welcome back everyone,

and thanks for checking out our progress once more!

This week we’ve been working on various ways for the enemies to spawn. Here are some of the designs we came up with:

We took a vote, and decided to start with the “spawn gate” and the “floor elevator”.

Here they are in the actual game:

And here I am negotiating my way past them Smiley

We also thought we would go a bit behind the scenes, and showcase some of our design process. I should stress however that the following concept sketches are just that, concepts Smiley

Some have already been mocked up in pixels, so it’s just a matter of time before they make their appearance in-game, others are just “would be cool to do this” ideas but may ultimately not make it in the game if they prove to be not as fun as we had imagined.

First up something that actually made it in game (allbeit in a slightly revised form), the initial sketches for the hexapod:

Some people have asked in previous updates about human(-oid…) enemies, so here’s one idea we are playing around with. Death from above!

The same care goes into sketching out and designing the levels themselves. As mentioned in a previous update, the ground floor of the tower is used as a terminal for import and export of goods, new arrivals (nobody ever actually leaves Tower57 ^_^), and customs.

Here are some sketches of the train the player would arrive in, and the train platform:

And as also mentioned before, we would like the game to feature “hub areas”, where you could sell your loot, upgrade your weapons, maybe meet some NPCs, etc.

One of these hubs could potentially look something like this:

And that’s all we’ve got for this week. Let me know if you’ve enjoyed the concept sketches, or if we should stick to in-game gifs, and hopefully see you all next week.

Cheers!

tower57
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2015, 03:51:14 PM »

Hello everyone!

This week we are finally able to introduce a feature we have been wanting to post about for a while…  player characters! As some readers have previously mentioned in the comments, playing as a “bald naked guy” might not appeal to everybody (although the option is definitely there!).

Taking a cue from some of our favorite inspirations, players will get to pick among a ragtag group of heroes, each with their own abilities, preferred weapons, and of course unique appearance.

I should point out however that - unlike said inspirations - there is currently no plan to give the characters rpg-like stats. Instead, the character choice will determine your initial load-out (primary and secondary gun) as well as your special skill / ability (one per character).

In addition, while each character is slightly more proficient at using his weapons of choice (better range, more damage, bigger ammo clips, etc.), they are in no way limited to those particular weapons, and can still use any of the other guns scattered across the levels.

The first character is The Beggar:

Equipped with an old musket and some throwing rocks, The Beggar is the perfect character for players who like a good challenge. He can also be a powerful ally when picked as an AI companion, although he may sometimes be more interested in grabbing all the coins rather than helping you out…

The next character is The Diplomat:

His weapon of choice is the flamethrower, with a healthy dose of fire grenades on the side for good measure. If you don’t mind the short range and the potential for hilarious accidents, this is the character for you! His only downside is a propensity to start small fires when left alone for too long…

Of course there are more characters, which we will gradually introduce in the coming weeks up until the release of the demo, but in the meantime there is another little thing we thought you might enjoy:

Also hats…

(and facial hair…)

And that concludes this week’s update Smiley Thanks again to everybody for checking in, and see you all next week!

Cheers!

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2015, 05:38:33 PM »

your pixelart is absolutely astonishing. always a joy to checkout the newest update Gentleman

Benitosub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2015, 08:17:13 AM »

Thanks! Wish I could take the credit for it, but it's all Cyangmou  Cheesy Hopefully you will be equally astonished with the gameplay once we release the demo!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic