Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:02:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesBurnham Striker and the End of Civilization
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Burnham Striker and the End of Civilization  (Read 25580 times)
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:50:39 PM »

This is a game that will try to answer a very deep question about life and self, about the invisible chains of so called morality that bind societies together. What if you really needed to use the toilet, but could'nt find one? How far would you go to retain a semblance of dignity as a human being? Would you spurn true love? Would you risk everything for that blissful moment of solitude when man and Gods are the same? Find out, in "Burnham Striker and the End of Civilization".
I am currently working on the main engine, using GML, because I like it and am not really a full-fledged programmer. The screensize is 640x480, but I cropped the shots because nothing was really happening in the gray void of WIP level.
Here we can see the hero in front of a classy restaurant.

You will be able to enter buildings.

Push some of the furniture around with REALISTIC(tm)physics. And enjoy the sights rendered in amazing PIXELATED INTERPRETATIVE SHADER(tm).

And you can push the stuff outside too. Make a fort or something.

By the end of this week, I hope to have NPC's sliding around, maybe interacting with the furniture and the hero.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 03:17:58 AM by Derek » Logged
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:03:58 PM »

Darn it! I was at least hoping to have the best poop-related game in this competition but I suppose even that is up in the air now. You are now my fiercest rival!!

(Besides all that, your game sounds cool and the graphics are super neato.)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:08:24 AM »

Great looking screenshots Smiley Sounds like an interesting premise....it'll be cool to see...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:13:14 AM »

Crap, this sounds similar if not identical to my entry.

Also, the art is awesome Sad

Disheartening but I shall not give up!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:15:18 AM by haowan » Logged

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:43:20 AM »

i feel like thats all im saying these days but i love the style here.
very clever use of pixel art.
man, so many clever people around here.
how is it working out for you all? beign clever.

also, i worked at subways for years so this is funny.
haha.
there.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 04:40:58 PM »

I managed to get most of the ingredients in this weekend. Some are a bit broken.

I have a timer in the upper-left corner, that changes as the main protagonists experiences intense bowel pressure, and must make life changing choices.

I also added the first civilian instance. You must'nt drop your pants in front of these busy business men, or they'll run to the cops. Or try to. They get hit by cars a lot.

I'm still considering whether to show actual feces; they're in now, but maybe it would be better if it was censored(badly censored).

And the hero ends his miserable life in front of a car, like so many pedestrians before him. But at least he got to show his disdain for the road in the previous pic.

So next are ai reactions, level specific events(I want a clown for the Wackyburgers) and testing. Then I'll use the remaining time to just fill up with as many graphics-levels as I can.

Haowan- Hehe, I am looking forward your zombie cottage game, I am a huge fan of the whole barricaded group genre.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 04:51:58 PM by Lurk » Logged
LineOf7s
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »

:D
The timer and the third (turd?) picture in your last post makes me LOL just a lil bit every time I look at it.
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 07:40:45 PM »

I'm still considering whether to show actual feces; they're in now, but maybe it would be better if it was censored(badly censored).

C'mon dude, there's no room for censorship in the B-Game Competition.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:52:06 AM »

I absolutely adore your pixel work.  Kiss

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 03:11:56 AM »

Average Higgins:
I was thinking of those 70's italian horror B-Movies (fulci,d'Argento) and how when they made a version for american consumption, they reedited the films so badly, sometimes they cut a whole scene that was crucial to understanding the 'plot'. I wondered if I could get this feeling in a game. Don't worry, without the blood and feces, the whole time-travelling scenario makes little sense(...).
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »

Wait, are you saying this game is about time-travel too!? Holy shit, that's exciting!
But anyway, about the censoring thing, judging from these graphics, this game is going to rock whatever you do.
LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 11:18:45 AM »

Those graphics are impressive! I would love peeking at the sprite sheet! Well, at least we will watch for sure the guy's shit  Roll Eyes Do not censor that!

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 05:26:08 PM »

I am almost done with the whole core and mechanics; 1 or 2 more nights of head scratching and debugging, and then can crunch those graphics. My original design did'nt hold to the play testing/debugging phase. So I did what any self-respecting developper would do: I added giant, very aggressive creatures made from a mysterious smelly brown substance. What could it be? The plot thickens...

Wacky WackMacky(tm) is happy to feed you some quality food. But where does he get the ingredients to make all those WackyMeals(tm)?..

and how to explain the mysterious disappearance of those mysterious feces who just a minute ago were lying around on the busy street?

Run for your sanity! I added a scoring system!

The logical end to this mysterious tragedy...

Watch out for Hermies!
Lurk
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 05:32:08 PM »

Dude, this is looking so awesome. I can't wait! Kiss

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 05:48:51 PM »

Omigod omigod omigod omigod omigod omigod omigod!!
If anyone can snatch the B-Game crown from Jazzuo's head it is you!
Even though we're still fierce rivals, I would be honored to consider you my brother in making games about poop.
Tr00jg
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 09:11:08 AM »

Holy shit! This looks like the shit. Shit, give us a demo already.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 07:08:57 PM »

Sorry, I don't think I could make a demo without messing up the whole game. I have a second level right now, and am working on a third (probably ridiculous boss fight). Almost done!

The title screen. 

A snapshot of the second level, pretty empty, I still need to finish the staple character for this one. You can see I added a timer and a meter so you can keep track of your colon.

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 07:37:40 PM »

You can see I added a timer and a meter so you can keep track of your colon.

Oh man! I totally had this exact idea for my game! Except, unlike you I am not a graphical genius so I never pulled it off and all I got now is this wimpy bar.
I am rooting for your game 100%!
David Miles Carter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 06:45:02 AM »

Holy sh**, this is amazing!! I'm dying to play this!!!
I bow to you, sir.
Great work, fantastic gritty pixel art!!

what other games have you made and where can i find them??
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 06:49:38 PM »

http://www.savefile.com/files/1053867

it is done.

Enjoy!

X is to drop pants and do it, and Z is used to bypass the messages, sorry, no tutorial!
 Credits to Lilix for the music! I am very eager to start another project now, maybe in better taste.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:06:22 PM by Lurk » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic