Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:59:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMockups for a game?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Mockups for a game?  (Read 6726 times)
Nod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 10:50:18 AM »

Yeah, I always have a burst of excitement when I come up with a game idea. I just never stick to making it!  Big Laff
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 05:08:35 PM »

Shocked
Well, I am known for my telepathic powers. No, really. You know what they say, great minds think alike, eh?

Umm, well, maybe we could work togheter? Are you a programmer? Or not?
Aaaanyway, I don't think this is going to go anywhere, since I lack the time and art/programming skills.

You can do yours, I'm too overwhelmed by studies.  Cry

:D

Ah dear, I am not much of anything, actually. I have exactly zero games under my belt, so I'm really trying to make something this time - on grit alone. Even if it's dodgy.

I really hope this does go somewhere, cause it looks kinda cool, and you evidently have enough art skills to keep the look consistent. As for programming, you could turn to Gamemaker, or Construct. Or maybe you could team up with Nod!

All the best with the studies, I've got 'em too. Should get back, actually.

Gentleman
Fuzz
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 05:14:16 PM »

Oh god.  Shocked Well, i'm not actually a pixel artist, so I have no idea of how to make it more like this or that. I mean, these mockups were my first attempt at pixeling... but anyway...

this is a quickie I did today:

shrubs so you can replenish your fire. this is probably gonna be the first area since there'll be lots o' plants, maybe it's gonna be the tutorial area or something.

If you could demonstrate on how to make it more abstract or indigenous or cave-painting-like etc it would be great.
I actually really like the art style in your mockups.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »

I think you should play with some procedural fire generation. Firstly because the fire on Mr Fire-head should definitely respond to wind and character movement in an organic kind of way.  And secondly it would be fun to let that fire generation loose on the levels themselves; let it spread and grow and burn platforms away and dwindle and so forth. Interesting gameplay may emerge.

THEN you could maybe try adding some particle-based water system to the mix and see what that does. The low-res pixeling style means you could do a lot of brute-force processing on individual pixels.

Don't give up on your idea until you have at least tried some of the fun possibilities!

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 11:11:13 PM »

I think you should play with some procedural fire generation. Firstly because the fire on Mr Fire-head should definitely respond to wind and character movement in an organic kind of way.  And secondly it would be fun to let that fire generation loose on the levels themselves; let it spread and grow and burn platforms away and dwindle and so forth. Interesting gameplay may emerge.
IAWTC, I kinda pictured a world of sand kind of fire burst when you run into a shrub. That's a neat little style and something I'd probably play if it ever did get made.. if not it's still neat eye candy.

One of the Beatles
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 08:56:53 AM »

have exactly zero games under my belt
me too.

THEN you could maybe try adding some particle-based water system to the mix and see what that does. The low-res pixeling style means you could do a lot of brute-force processing on individual pixels.

Don't give up on your idea until you have at least tried some of the fun possibilities!

yeah, it would be great to have a fire responsive to factors like that. When I first thought of this game, it was just the idea of a guy with his head on fire having to slow down so the wind wouldn't kill the flame. oh well, I'll keep doing some mockups. I would really like if someone was willing to program, but dunno.

Mockup:

the fire on the bush is not really final. It's still gonna spread more to the right, then consume it entirely. Buahahaha.

the 'fire +' is nothing really. like, it shows you've replenished your fire [to the max?].
Also, it's illegible. It's just a test. Don't look at it. Don't bother. t's nothing. Nothing. NothingScreamy
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 09:03:40 AM »

t's nothing. Nothing. NothingScreamy

I CAN'T UNSEE IT. Well, hello there!
What's with all the different colour schemes? Smiley

One of the Beatles
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 09:10:27 AM »

t's nothing. Nothing. NothingScreamy

I CAN'T UNSEE IT. Well, hello there!
What's with all the different colour schemes? Smiley
Different areas.

EDIT: geiser idea. the one on the right has different shades because the tree's behind it and the water's supposed to be transparent. And yes, the tree sucks. placeholder, anyway.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:41:59 AM by One of the Beatles » Logged
Titanium
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 12:51:05 AM »

I don't know if it's the new style that's in now, but... I don't really like it.  Waaaayyy to blocky.  Unless the gameplay is over the top amazing, which I dont highly doubt , this game won't do too well.  But hey, I don't know much about games so don't take my word.

I really hope you prove me wrong.  Beg

Please Play My Games.
One of the Beatles
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »

I don't know if it's the new style that's in now, but... I don't really like it.  Waaaayyy to blocky.  Unless the gameplay is over the top amazing, which I dont highly doubt , this game won't do too well.  But hey, I don't know much about games so don't take my word.

I really hope you prove me wrong.  Beg

well... as you probably can see, this thread (and the game) has kind of been abandoned, so you shouldn't really expect me to prove you wrong...
Also, it was really early pixel art, so it's too blocky 'cause I was was working at 8x.
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 05:14:01 PM »

It's a shame that this has been canned, looked really interesting and had some potential.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic