Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411282 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:38:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDevader - swarms of enemies - made in HTML5
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Devader - swarms of enemies - made in HTML5  (Read 52277 times)
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2020, 11:18:56 PM »

Yeah pretty much. I do have a fix for some cases now. I can detect if a segment is dependant on a different one, if so I do not recreate it. But it does not work in all cases, mostly bosses are trouble. But it's still a major improvement to how I was working before.

I've also found another major workflow improvement. Something I tried ages ago, but at the time it was not working as expected. I can connect the javascript+css files loaded in chrome to the local filesystem. It now even allows me to edit and save my code while debugging. pretty neat. Exceptions can still bring it all crashing down and force me to reload but it's pretty neat.

One thing I often wonder: Do other devs also have debug screens that look like this? I very often have the screen filled with lines and dots for debugging, but I find these screenshots are rarely shown. Here I noticed that the circular lasers were not correctly destroying the hexagonal matrix and was trying to find out why. As you can see the dots are pretty out of position. They should really only be covering areas that are close to the laser.

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »

fixed the bug for circular lasers. it's not perfect, but I it does not cover way too much. Every dot is a hexagonal grid point I must check, to see if the laser intersects with a pillar. It's only an array lookup, so it's pretty cheap.

The dots on the right are black because I was having overlapping issues of both sides and I needed to make sure every cell is only checked once. My algorithm was written for the left side of the circle and I pretty much just mirrored it for the right side. As you can tell from the previous image there were a lot of issues... as it only affect the hexagons it went pretty much unnoticed (to the benefit of the player).

I've been making lots of new enemies lately and it's pretty overwhelming. It's not that easy to make them all not just feel visually unique but actually do something interesting. Sometimes it just ends in a hot mess with so many enemies flooding the screen. I'm planning to add some bigger enemies too, while reducing the amount of minor foe. This could help make it more manageable for the player.

These creatures move like wheels, I don't think it's very easy to see in the gif...

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2020, 04:39:19 PM »

total chaos as promised. now I somehow need to make the chaos manageable without completely ruining the overwhelming forces feeling

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 06, 2020, 03:47:11 AM »

Kiss
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: October 06, 2020, 09:18:24 AM »

The big dudes spawn the little explosive enemies, making for fun shooting practice. Slowly finding use for the many new enemy creations.

I've started to integrate the new enemies into the existing system. So far it works pretty well. My levels are built up in a very simple fashion. Which spiders are spawned, what special enemies are spawned and which boss is spawned. There are 14 different spider types and this is what I am trying to tackle at the moment. Too many spiders, it's visually a bit boring. Now I am making a wide variety of supporting units to replace the spiders. This does not happen all the time, but based on some seeded-random variables. So sometimes you get the spiders, sometimes you get the replacements. I'm currently going for two alternatives, meaning I need 28 different opponents all in all.

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 06, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »

Some of these are old, but I decided to get an overview of what I have to work with. Some were discarded in the past (e.g. the juicer + wiking helmet) and might stay that way. They are all red, because I color them in the game using a shader.

The hard part is making them all interesting enough to justify having so many different types. Some already have actions, but I really dislike them atm.

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: October 06, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »

Listing the available enemies made me think some of them are a bit lame... So I redesigned number 7 and I think it's a lot cooler now. Here it is in action, in a worm like creature that can connect up to get really long.

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: October 06, 2020, 03:24:39 PM »

Cool looking game! Posting for follow. Have you played viewpoint? I'm getting some similar vibes -- which is a good thing. I really loved this old game.

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: October 06, 2020, 03:58:10 PM »

Nope. But I must have seen it in an old video game magazine growing up Gentleman as I kind of recognize it! Cool, I will have to check it out. Might give me some inspiration Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2020, 01:11:21 AM »

I love your enemy game design. Gives me a Fractal and L-system vibe, but applied in a pretty way  Kiss
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: October 07, 2020, 01:11:42 PM »

Thanks JobLeonard Smiley
I guess it's just based on what my artistic capabilities are. I'm using a really old version of cinema 4D and these fairly geometric structures are pretty time-efficient. I created this thing today, might turn into a bit of a boss.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2020, 01:26:25 AM »

Is that related to

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/osakas-world-expo-2025-logo-inochi-no-kagayaki-kun

?

:p
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2020, 03:27:10 AM »

lol! no never seen that guy before Smiley buuuut, I do have an enemy that is pretty similar and just adapted it quickly

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2020, 03:36:53 AM »

Hahaha, nice!
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2020, 04:05:38 AM »

Now with moving eyeballs and motion. The style does not really work out, but it was fun to give it a try  Well, hello there!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2020, 05:33:18 AM »

Post it to your twitter for internet points Wink
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2020, 04:05:52 PM »

@JobLeonard: Good idea, I gave it a shot, but me posting on twitter feels like yelling into the void Mock Anger

If you want to help me out, retweet and follow  Kiss https://twitter.com/falkenbrew/status/1314963970902589448

I'm still doing quite some experimenting. I've changed the map/world-size from a square to a rectangle, this allows me to show the full screen at once when zoomed out on 16:9. Should be an improvement for multiplayer, but will cause a few problems for my AI. As I am changing a lot right now, I feel like it won't do much more harm...

I had a vision of a creatures with a net-like skin and a bright skeleton and this was brought into existence:

It's currently animated by simple sin-functions, my original idea was to have it work with something like bones and IK... not sure if I will follow through.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2020, 02:26:51 AM »

I mean, this works and is probably computationally a lot cheaper Shrug
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »

Probably, could get quite expensive as I would be doing it all on cpu in javascript...

I've created a slightly bigger version of that last creature. Still can't figure out how to post videos. I'm pretty sure I've managed before, but I think it was youtube then. Not sure if it works at all for imgur video???
https://i.imgur.com/F6XLNhD.mp4

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2020, 01:31:54 PM »

Playing around with new enemies. I'm planning to add some bigger foes, to also add more diversity to the enemy hordes. These guys try to avoid getting shot, not very effective but it looks kind of neat.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic