Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:10:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDevader - swarms of enemies - made in HTML5
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Devader - swarms of enemies - made in HTML5  (Read 52869 times)
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: December 26, 2020, 09:59:07 AM »

@Schrompf:  Cheesy I think I am on the darkest side, nothing can frighten me. I don't really care what language, as long as it allows me to port to consoles Tongue

Made another update to the alpha branch, fixing some small things after my first two player session in a while.

NajibSG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: December 28, 2020, 04:16:30 AM »

I love how the game looks, he's very handsome Smiley

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: February 21, 2021, 04:34:38 AM »

Thanks NajibSG Grin

I've been quite distracted by another project for quite some time. It's actually a project that started out as a bullet-pattern designer but has evolved into it's own little thing...

You can check out the web-demo here:
https://www.falkenbrew.com/sfare/Web/index.html

I'm thinking about releasing it on itch pretty soon. Maybe someone has an idea about similar projects, as I will be looking for influencers of any kind that could be interested.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 04:45:33 AM by marcgfx » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 21, 2021, 11:53:03 AM »

On Firefox all I see is a blue triangle (it works on Chromium though)

It looks awesome! Reminds me of Flow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(video_game)
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: February 21, 2021, 12:58:25 PM »

It worked in Firefox for me. Wow, that was trippy :D

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: February 22, 2021, 06:17:48 AM »

Thanks for trying guys!

@JobLeonard: Hm, works in Firefox on my Macbook and Windows. Not my fault anyway, let's blame Unity. I've just checked out Flow. Same developer as Flower (someone else mentioned) and Journey/Abzu. Interesting. Might be good to look for youtubers who played those games.

I'm planning to launch on itch.io soon, would appreciate any opinion on my page (secret link):
https://falkenbrew.itch.io/sfre?secret=HMjKMGmuuatYdYHlGoTklWQo

Pricing is also something hard to determine. I think in the long run mobile should be the most important platform. But I could be wrong. So now I'm wondering if I should release it on itch with "free/donate" or simply at a discount. In the end it might be most important for me that enough people even give it a go. These decisions are hard for me Tired

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 22, 2021, 07:45:48 AM »

Looks cool, nice trailer too.

I don't know about pricing either, never had to deal with the economy of that. Maybe have a free version + a paid "PRO" version that lets you directly export the results? Is the output purely shade based? You could make an "export to shader" button in the pro-version in that case
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: February 22, 2021, 08:00:18 AM »

@JobLeonard: that's my plan for mobile. I guess I could have two projects on itch though, not sure if it would be detrimental to have to download it twice. For steam I was thinking about having an IAP to upgrade to Pro, but I'm going to delay a steam release until I gather enough wishlists, or never release it at all.

It's not shader based, but it's a cool idea with the export. I have the possibility to export jpg, gif, mp4 and wav, but you can't export the settings themselves. What you create in the pro version can be something that will never exist again (pressing the star shape randomizes a lot of parameters).

I need to think about how to get the most exposure while being able to convert at least a small fraction to pro-updates. I've decided I would rather have 100k players making 100$ than 1k players and making 1k$. Exposure is something I never managed to achieve with Devader and that hurts most.

The "trailer" was me just messing around in one take, but I'm glad you like it Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 22, 2021, 09:34:22 AM »

Well, if that was a one-take trailer then that says something about the elegance of your graphics I think Cheesy
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: February 24, 2021, 01:19:30 AM »

Thanks man Smiley
I've just decided to give private access to anyone here that is interested and wants to check out sfäre. You can download the project for free atm.
https://falkenbrew.itch.io/sfre?password=electric

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: February 27, 2021, 06:07:11 AM »

Was considering making a new project on tig but no energy right now. sfäre can be tested/downloaded for android now if you follow this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=space.spherience.app

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 27, 2021, 07:08:12 AM »

Installing and giving it a try!
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: December 08, 2022, 10:29:48 AM »

So I've been making some silent progress. I'm reworking Devader to function more like popular games, e.g. gungeon, or newer ones like vampire survivor and brotato. It will be a new release, not sure about the name yet. But I will be reusing a lot, as I don't think the 1k people that have actually bought Devader will be that upset. (I think I can just give them access to the new package on Steam, if I ever get that far again).

One of the key parts I think I messed up was the upgrade system. I was stubbornly against using randomness and had decided that I wanted fixed paths the player could follow. Every path was supposed to have interesting things, but the default upgrades were kind of lame. My idea was that you don't have to play 100 times to get the things you want. Luck was not supposed to be a part of the game. But.... Luck seems to be something that makes people keep coming back. Luck and the ability to get different and interesting combinations of weapons.

So now I need a ton of new icons... still WIP.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: December 08, 2022, 10:02:35 PM »

It's cool to hear you are working on / reworking Devader! Looking forward to see more from it!

fafafrei
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 14, 2022, 08:27:40 AM »

So I've been making some silent progress. I'm reworking Devader to function more like popular games, e.g. gungeon, or newer ones like vampire survivor and brotato.

I just bought Devader yesterday and It's really good. One of the first thoughts I had was how awesome it would be as a bullet-heaven or vampire survivors-like kind of game.  Really looking forward to seeing that.
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: December 14, 2022, 11:53:27 PM »

@fafafrei: Oh wow, thanks man! Glad you are enjoying it.

It's quite a tricky adaptation for me, not quite sure how it will turn out. My original goal was to have a game that offers multiple-paths with different experiences. The thing is, most people don't really try out so much as it's not obvious. Special weapons, turrets, nukes will now be something that can be purchased in a shop. They are offered at random, so every run should be much more varied. It's also possible to have 2 turret types at the same time, or multiple nuclear weapons. I've also created a ton of new enemies. But it still needs to come together as a cohesive game.

Still lots to do.

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: December 29, 2022, 02:44:17 AM »

Besides working on tons of different little upgrade related chores, I've been trying to improve some of the UI. UI is something I struggle with quite a bit, it seems like one can spend forever and there is still room for improvement.

Difficulty selection with a new background. I used alpaca a photoshop plugin that uses stable diffusion. It took me a while to find a suitable workflow, but I am very happy with how it turned out:

I gave the boss-intro-text a makeover, strongly based on a CSS example I found online (https://codepen.io/ykadosh/pen/zYNxVKr). Not convinced this is great, but its a starting point.

Multiplayer robot-upgrade-screen. I'm a little worried I am making things too complicated. It might be better to just stack all the upgrades by default, like in vampire-survivor or Brotato instead of forcing the player to manage the upgrades. Problem are the actions. I can't really auto-place turrets, auto-firing nukes would also be not that great imho. So actions are tied to buttons and as there are more than 3 actions you can get, the player needs a way to organise/select the actions he wants. I feel like this also makes sense for the weapons. Top row are actions, bottom left/right are the arm weapons and the center is the chest-cannon (fires after charging). I'm also considering having multiple actions on one button, but this will make the UI more complicated/crowded.

Plasma weapon (looks like I need to convert to webp for it to display on tigsource, so here is just a link)
https://i.imgur.com/VFXxqUH.mp4

I've also introduced collectable chrystals. They can be unintentionally destroyed by both player and enemies, actual physical objects. I was thinking this gives incentive to be more strategic with your shooting. On the other hand this might take away from the fun of pure destruction.
https://i.imgur.com/SrYFB3A.mp4
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 02:50:55 AM by marcgfx » Logged

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: December 30, 2022, 11:53:20 PM »

I think your current makeovers/changes are interesting, looking forward to see more of it in 2023!

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: January 01, 2023, 10:13:17 AM »

Thanks Alain Smiley

This is the tower stuff I mentioned. I'm not sure it really fits, but base-building could be an interesting aspect. Just need to make it work with a game that was never meant for this. Easy!

Resource Gathering (a little buggy)
The idea was that the player can gather resources from the Hexagons he should be protecting, to get more money for upgrades.
https://i.imgur.com/jClu83F.mp4

Building Placement
https://i.imgur.com/79cfhrn.mp4
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 10:34:37 AM by marcgfx » Logged

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: January 01, 2023, 10:32:47 PM »

I see, so your towers are kind of individual turrets that you place?

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic