Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 02:37:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Engine woes
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Engine woes  (Read 5733 times)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 08:19:49 AM »

The Lua is just a thin wrapper over the C++ core. That is to say, all of the main render loops still happen in C++, just the creation and update of objects happens in Lua, so the performance hit is barely existent.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 08:44:24 AM »

The Lua is just a thin wrapper over the C++ core. That is to say, all of the main render loops still happen in C++, just the creation and update of objects happens in Lua, so the performance hit is barely existent.

uhm... i'd not call a virtual machine a thin wrapper :D

anyway lua is very good as long as you use it only for scripting and not for all your game mechanics, it's way better to do all the math n stuff in C++, and when i say "way" i mean A FREAKING LOT better.

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 05:06:46 PM »

The performance cost of using an interpreted language such as Lua or Python is negligible for the vast majority of projects. This issue becomes evermore irrelevant as computers get substantially faster every year.

As Kaelan said, the real cost bottleneck here is your time, especially as a one-man independent or hobbiest developer.

LAN Party List - The definitive LAN party list. Also Game Jams, etc.
GitHub
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 06:10:13 PM »

If your engine loops happen in a separate thread from the lua VM, there's almost no difference at all, unless your game logic is so complex that it requires a dedicated C++ thread.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »

I'm bumping this for the possible cockpit compo. Is there any good, simple, free way to get into doing things in 3d?

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 12:00:08 PM »

Just an FYI...

XNA is not an engine, more of a managed wrapper over D3D with the content pipeline goodies on top.  I am assuming the deployment problems you're seeing are related to the XNA runtime not being installed on the target machine, something you could easily redist or have an install script set up for the user.  If you need help setting this up drop me a line.

That being said, the productivity you gain from the content pipeline, some of the helper functions, and .NET framework might make XNA just as easy as using some open source engine.  Then again I am biased.

You didn't mention your experience with 3D and linear algebra, etc. but keep in mind that whatever choice you make, you're not gonna get away from that.

Greg
Level 0

has a compass, lost my map

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »

http://www.ivansafrin.com/crap6/luaedit5.png

i'm gonna try to release this soonish

That looks pretty stylish.  What are your plans for it? How do you see it being used?

A day for firm decisions!!! Or is it?
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 02:15:06 PM »

I'm going to release it when it's stable enough.

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 02:46:43 PM »

Just an FYI...

This manbaby speaks the truth.

To be honest, in the future I don't think I will make any "big", "serious" project using XNA because I feel like it's way too much work to maintain an engine, a tools suite and a game at the same time as a single person. Maybe I just don't have enough experience with game programming... but I'd really recommend going on higher-level languages and engines if your team is of limited time or resources.

Greg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 05:32:48 PM »

Is it primarily a game-making tool/environment?  Or is there more to it not seen in that screen shot.  I must admit I'm hella curious.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »

Is it primarily a game-making tool/environment?  Or is there more to it not seen in that screen shot.  I must admit I'm hella curious.

It's basically simplified LUA bindings to my 2D/3D engine and a small self-contained IDE for it where you can quickly write stuff with full access to the engine functionality and publish executables to multiple platforms.

Greg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 10:17:15 PM »

It's basically simplified LUA bindings to my 2D/3D engine and a small self-contained IDE for it where you can quickly write stuff with full access to the engine functionality and publish executables to multiple platforms.

brilliant.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic