Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:11:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOverrated games
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Overrated games  (Read 39611 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 10, 2017, 03:59:52 AM »

Context for an old fogey out of the loop?
Kater101
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 10, 2017, 06:41:05 AM »

Doom 2016
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: January 10, 2017, 06:44:46 AM »

Context for an old fogey out of the loop?
In Sweden, where it first aired over TV 1 on 31 December 1982[3] the film's airing annually around Christmas-New Year has become a tradition.[4]

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: January 11, 2017, 12:48:16 AM »

Doom 2016
I thought the general consensus on this was that it was incredibly mediocre, fun combat but repetitive and got old fast due to the level design being a linear chain of monster spawning arenas connected by hallways, and the chainsaw/ammo mechanic making any pacing irrelevant due to the supply of infinite ammo and health at all times.

A solid Meh/10

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 11, 2017, 03:11:34 AM »

like i said, i think doom 2016 got a lot of hype because expectations were fairly low and then it turned out to be Pretty Good. the fact that it already isn't being talked about much anymore is kind of a testament to its lack of longevity.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 11, 2017, 04:05:25 AM »

it won one of the steam awards , the steam “Boom Boom” award
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2017, 04:06:35 AM »

*500 crickets chirping the riff to metallica's "master of puppets" in unison*
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2017, 04:10:55 AM »

halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 11, 2017, 06:05:38 AM »

Metroid Prime.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: January 11, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »

i am enjoying doom a lot, idk. it's got good flow and is pretty ridiculous

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: January 11, 2017, 07:41:04 AM »

Pachinko

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: January 11, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »

the environmental design paradigm of "sloppy tubes or wires across the floor"

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »

the environmental design paradigm of "sloppy tubes or wires across the floor"

resembles the bedroom of the average game developer

ART IMITATES LIFE
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 11, 2017, 08:37:46 AM »

I just recently played Axiom Verge and felt pretty underwhelmed outside of the presentation values. Combat is generally very boring (bosses are some of the most predictable/repetitive ones I've seen in a long while in a game of this complexity,) and the ambiguity of the game is so extreme that it felt like an upgrade and its corresponding "generic wall gate" could be separated by half the world map.

I don't blame people for getting excited about new metroidvanias or even enjoying them based on their merits, but it feels like sometimes the community is so starved for a proper "Metroid" that the game gets treated like its the rebirth of Metroid itself.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:08 AM »

I just recently played Axiom Verge and felt pretty underwhelmed outside of the presentation values. Combat is generally very boring (bosses are some of the most predictable/repetitive ones I've seen in a long while in a game of this complexity,) and the ambiguity of the game is so extreme that it felt like an upgrade and its corresponding "generic wall gate" could be separated by half the world map.

I don't blame people for getting excited about new metroidvanias or even enjoying them based on their merits, but it feels like sometimes the community is so starved for a proper "Metroid" that the game gets treated like its the rebirth of Metroid itself.
see also: symphony of the night

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: January 11, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »

The first Max Payne is overrated. The game's mechanics and level design are great, and the stages look nice, but I never liked the writing. The misanthropic monologues from Max (which is a pretty much a 2D character), the other characters are forgettable for the most part, failed joke attempts, etc, 

Max Payne 2, on another hand, is underrated and the best entry of the series. It's pretty great, it improves everything from the original.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »

Every game that doesn't have a co-op mode

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 11, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »

... or couch-multiplayer
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: January 11, 2017, 03:05:25 PM »

see also: symphony of the night

SOTN's combat system was awesome though, super responsive and no weapon/spell/etc was useless so you could play through the game the way you wanted.  Aria of sorrow then took that and ran with it and to this day is i think the best metroidvania type game ever made, it simply has the most unique and fun combat system ever, with literally thousands upon thousands of combinations of soul sets and equipment.

Axiom Verge on the other hand, has an amazing story and a great art style but the combat just wasn't that great...there was a huge variety of weapons (there's what, like 30 different weapons in that game? I forget how many i had by the end) but really only a few of them were even useful outside of 1-2 situations.  most of the early game weapons were just too OP too, so they basically ended up being your main weapons for the entire game.  Plus the enemies were just really not that varied, most just patroled and fired projectiles.  corrupting them into other stuff was neat and some had cool effects but it got old fast.

-Fuzzy Spider
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic