Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:34:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOverrated games
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Overrated games  (Read 39587 times)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: January 31, 2017, 04:50:45 AM »

in the story mode you can stab the final boss in the neck while he's doing his intro monologue and win

it's a very good game

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 31, 2017, 06:53:51 AM »

tekken is slow enough to actually react some of the times and the button combinations are intuitive

(irl you're right, I just enjoy playing it with other fightgam noobs. I can't imagine there'd be any joy treating any fighting game as an actual competition)

btw every single fighting game ive ever played (except smash) has been an exercise in frustration at being unable to pull off even simple moves (i can't reliably do a hadoken in street fighter). at some point i stopped trying and moved on to games i can actually play.
I've tried to get into fighting games but having to memorize super-arbitrary button combos and timing doesn't sound very fun to me. Like, I can actually see the basics of what I'm doing wrong in a fight, but the effort necessary to correct it can be frustratingly high. I prefer it when the application of knowledge and the mechanical skill required to carry it out are much more balanced together.

On that note, I feel like Smash is way easier to get into but way harder to master.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: January 31, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »

There's a tie for best fighting game between Super Gem Fighter and Bushido Blade. Search your heart, you know it to be true.
these and gals fighters on the neo geo pocket color are the best.
tekken is slow enough to actually react some of the times and the button combinations are intuitive

(irl you're right, I just enjoy playing it with other fightgam noobs. I can't imagine there'd be any joy treating any fighting game as an actual competition)

btw every single fighting game ive ever played (except smash) has been an exercise in frustration at being unable to pull off even simple moves (i can't reliably do a hadoken in street fighter). at some point i stopped trying and moved on to games i can actually play.
i am exactly the same way.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 31, 2017, 09:08:16 AM »

one of the positive point of tekken (especially since tekken 6) is that it has newbie friendly characters with a move set that doesn't require "simple moves" (hadoken lol) .
You can play those characters on a competitive way ( leo, bob, alisa, hwarang, law etc...) without the requirement of having max dexterity fingers. If you can't pull a hadoken you won't be able to play the mishimas for example.

The only requirement to be able to play in a competitive scene is a knowledge of all characters and how to defense and punish them. which can be too much considering the number of available characters.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: January 31, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »

The only requirement to be able to play in a competitive scene is a knowledge of all characters and how to defense and punish them. which can be too much considering the number of available characters.
Yep, also too many weird characters. Tekken 4 was just fine in that regard, the nicest Tekken for me. The likes like Street Fighter reward "input skills" too much. I believe this approach holds down the potential of a game itself. Tekken is more inline with my philosophy: Communicating the intent of an action should ideally happen as directly as possible. That way you can potentially elevate a game to a higher level. With proper design, the game can be all about fast paced mind games, not being limited by a cumbersome/indirect communication interface. Tekken is not perfect, but that is why I prefer it over Street Fighter, despite having good input skills.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 31, 2017, 08:04:58 PM »

Bushido blade is too good to count as a fighting game

i havenever plalyed it
You should play it ASAP. It might be a complex game with high/med/low stances, high/med/low attack buttons, parrying, jumping and climbing, dagger throwing, locational damage, eight different weapons, characters who have special moves depending on which weapon you pair them up with but at the same time you can run around and turn every match into a joust which alone is really fun (and surprisingly effective against the AI). There's a mode where you fight against a hundred dudes in a corridor which is hardcore especially if you're trying to do it without getting killed and you can even play in black and white to mimic old samurai films which is a pretty cool feature.

Indeed,
it's a very good game
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: January 31, 2017, 08:50:47 PM »

im more interested in troll face: meme inspired card game

[inverse psychology] Than definitely don't click this link: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58900.0[/inverse psychology]

We even have a nice Superb Joe meme
god damnit fuck you

Hahahahaha holy shit are we just gonna avert our eyes from this or what
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 01, 2017, 04:40:40 AM »

I hope there's eventually something like the "roguelite" or whatever genre for fightgams. To me the problem with them (from an "outside perspective") seems to be that they've been stuck catering to the same hardcore/competitive crowd with its particular standards and biases for years now. Nothing wrong with pandering to a particular audience ofc, but if you do it exclusively the genre becomes more and more insular and resistant to design innovation that doesn't chime with the ingrained tastes of your crowd. The same thing happened to an even greater extent with shmups btw.

It also happened with roguelikes big time. Probably even moreso because many devs insisted on sticking with UI design conventions from the early 80s. However, 7DRL and "not TRUE roguelikes" like spelunky gaining traction ended causing a rejuvenation in "traditional" roguelikes as well and caused more new and exciting stuff to be made than in the entire previous 20 years. I hope something like that will eventually happen in fighting games.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: February 01, 2017, 05:17:53 AM »

nidhogg and back then smahs bros

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 01, 2017, 05:30:34 AM »

smash didnt really change the fighting game scene tho did it? it just created its own niche.

does anyone even play nidhogg anymore?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: February 01, 2017, 06:31:54 AM »

nidhogg's popularity peaked about five years before it was released when it was exclusive to smelly "indie elite" meetups

we could make a list of convention-defying (but still pretty good) vs. fighting games, that sounds fun.

let's see
-Bushido Blade
-Nidhogg
-Smash Bros.
-Sumotori
-WWF SmackDown!
-Destrega

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 01, 2017, 07:09:03 AM »

smash didnt really change the fighting game scene tho did it? it just created its own niche.
Depends on who you talk to, methinks. Some people don't consider it a fighting game while others do. I wouldn't go starting that argument with hardcore fans though, lol.

Edit: Also, I didn't think Pokken was too bad of a fighting game. Its more nuanced on a tactical level with the plane switches and support options. Granted, it takes some getting used to, but once you get past that the mechanical skill needed to do stuff is OK-ish. My biggest beef with the game, if anything, is how projectile heavy it is. My boy Sceptile can really struggle against certain fights.

That's another thing I don't like about fighting games. I hate it when I find a particular character/strat that I really like, only to find that half of the top-tier "meta" threats more or less invalidate it with minimal effort. Its like the game goes "Here's 50 different ways to play the game. Just realize only 5 of these are good if you want to be super competitive; everything else is just for screwing around. Psyche!" Can you win fights with low-tier threats? Sure, but it often requires way more work on your part than the other guy who's using the better, "more meta" fighter. Its like I either have to be competitive or have fun, but I can't do both.

Or maybe I just don't get fighter games. Shrug
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:16:44 AM by Photon » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 01, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »

Depends on who you talk to, methinks. Some people don't consider it a fighting game while others do. I wouldn't go starting that argument with hardcore fans though, lol.

what i mean is, it didn't really start a new trend. there are only a handful of "smash-like" games and none of em were well received as far as i know.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: February 01, 2017, 10:28:38 AM »

I hope there's eventually something like the "roguelite" or whatever genre for fightgams. To me the problem with them (from an "outside perspective") seems to be that they've been stuck catering to the same hardcore/competitive crowd with its particular standards and biases for years now. Nothing wrong with pandering to a particular audience ofc, but if you do it exclusively the genre becomes more and more insular and resistant to design innovation that doesn't chime with the ingrained tastes of your crowd. The same thing happened to an even greater extent with shmups btw.

It also happened with roguelikes big time. Probably even moreso because many devs insisted on sticking with UI design conventions from the early 80s. However, 7DRL and "not TRUE roguelikes" like spelunky gaining traction ended causing a rejuvenation in "traditional" roguelikes as well and caused more new and exciting stuff to be made than in the entire previous 20 years. I hope something like that will eventually happen in fighting games.
pocket rumble is worth checking out, i think

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 01, 2017, 11:16:54 AM »

im more interested in troll face: meme inspired card game

[inverse psychology] Than definitely don't click this link: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58900.0[/inverse psychology]

We even have a nice Superb Joe meme
god damnit fuck you

Hahahahaha holy shit are we just gonna avert our eyes from this or what
that guy and his whole existence are soooo bad
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 01, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »

what i mean is, it didn't really start a new trend. there are only a handful of "smash-like" games and none of em were well received as far as i know.

Nintendo tend to burn the ground around many follower due to 3 factors:
1 - brand recognition
2 - signature gameplay
3 - skyhigh polish

1. makes it that they get the initial good will that help achieve critical mass of people trying it
2. makes it that it's different enough that following it makes it an obvious clone
3. makes it hard to make obvious QOL improvement over what's already there, ie difficult to compete against

That's why there is little clone of their genre, like zelda like and co.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: February 06, 2017, 06:22:12 PM »

nidhogg's popularity peaked about five years before it was released when it was exclusive to smelly "indie elite" meetups

we could make a list of convention-defying (but still pretty good) vs. fighting games, that sounds fun.

let's see
-Bushido Blade
-Nidhogg
-Smash Bros.
-Sumotori
-WWF SmackDown!
-Destrega

Lethal League. An underrated game IMO

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 07, 2017, 12:39:00 AM »

youre obviosly trolling
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 07, 2017, 02:53:17 AM »

I've never played Divekick, but I suppose a two-button fighting game is pretty convention-defying
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 07, 2017, 03:05:56 AM »

for some reason i mistaken lethal league for divekick. Guess at some point all those american FG crowd pandering local coop games\Iron Galaxy stuff starts to look the same.
Those things deserve to be obscure, they take spartan oppressiveness of Street Fighter 2 and streamline it to appeal to exact 10 people who worked at giant bomb.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic