Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:39:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingVirtual world twist
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Virtual world twist  (Read 1799 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »

I was contacted to present the technique of Photogrammetry with a short movie, however they don't have enough time, material and experience to make something "decent" or realistic.

My idea is to use the weakness and shortcoming as an aesthetics "feature". Using that in a typical story of escape from reality in a cyberspace. The deformed reality being used to denote the VR world. It has the benefit to scale with how well we do with the photogrammetric data and give a visual identity.

The story is basically a person who track down a friend and find he is lost in a VR world community where he strive while in the real world he only know misery and shame. He plunge into this world that is new to him to reunite with his friend and convince him to came back to reality. I found it is way more easier to make a case for the VR world than the real world (even though experience makes a case for the real world).

However I struggle to find a good twist to hook the viewer at the end.

What kind of idea I can use to make it more interesting but keep it short and cheap to create?

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »

Maybe the lost friend has become bifurcated at some point, such that two aspects of him are leading separate virtual lives. Like his left and right hemispheric personalities, or his id and ego. In order to yank him out or the VR world intact, the main character has to trick both aspectual avatars into appearing in the same "place" at the same time.
autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »

I like what Valrus said. On a similar note, having the VR world be affected by the characters subconscious could be interesting as well, potentially leading him into a huge trap, or even killing his friend over some seemingly long forgotten grudge.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »

Yeah that's different from what I had in mind but closer to the goal of spectacle to demonstrate the technique, I'll give it a thought. In fact I'm too nerdy, I was thinking about more like a debate about whether reality was worth living in when there is VR but this is much better Who, Me?

I can also mix the two Who, Me? (trying desperately to have the cake and eat it too.

edit:
And I can also use the old coma trope and you are actually virtually injected in its psyche psychonaut style Who, Me? damn it's starting to unlock things !

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:31:21 PM »

Mixing those two would be pretty cool, actually.  Presumably everyone has two parts to them, the one that thinks "I've got a life and loves and responsibilities outside and need to be an adult" and the "I wanna stay and play forever!" part of them.

Funny visual idea: Capturing both an adult (A) and a small child (C), then rendering A minus C, like an adult with a small, moving, child-sized hole in the middle of them, and making it the story of a person in a virtual reality world whose inner child escaped and won't come home.
autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 06:50:10 AM »

Man, chasing a rampant inner child in VR sounds horrifying. I'm imagining the child mind would toy with its other half, leaving messages of mangled bodies and concepts it had murdered and contorted into strange playthings. Right and wrong can be hard to figure out sometimes...

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 06:38:56 PM »

So i was thinking to put those idea in a simple structure, I choose to use something like:
this, but, and then, however turns out, finally ... a kind of 5 acts structure to set up the beat ... and trying to fill it ... it hit me! That eureka moment!

This: someone is looking for an old friend, find him stuck in a virtual world, her body in artificial coma. She plunge into her mind to bring her back

But: when she find her, she refuse to follow her as she demonstrate that's a way better life than the unfair real world. She have all the challenge and recognition she don't have. Even though she hasn't found a way to get to the last level, and that's her last challenge that she want to accomplish.

And then: The protagonist realize glitches that she decypher and realize the mind her friend is broken, incomplete and need to be fixed, the glitches prevent her to reach the last level of the world. The glitches happen fragment of a child girl appear, she thinks this represent the fear she holds and chase the little girl through a labyrinth of glitches as the little girl taunt her with strange riddle.

However it turns out: She was the other half, not the children, when she realize that, the glitches disappear and the last world's door open into a bright light.

Finally:  She wake up from her slumber, smiling, ready for her last challenge after the training she received in the virtual world, the real world.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 03:21:18 PM »

Sounds good. Will we be able to watch it when it's finished?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 03:30:47 PM »

Once I get in touch with them again, and if the finance happen... But I don't expect something "great" it's to try and demonstrate the technique ... at least I have a scenario that scale with budget and have some twist!

So I'll update once its done

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »

I hope it works out. Even "just" a demonstration would be pretty interesting to see.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic