Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 03:16:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAre any dead genre left to revive?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Are any dead genre left to revive?  (Read 8354 times)
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »

sid meier thematic strategy minigame collections

MrBones
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but FMV (Full Motion Video) games. Tex Murphy is the only FMV to come out in a long, long time as far as I know.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »

I would consider quantic dream's output and telltale's the child version of that

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 03:13:07 AM »

quantic dream moreso than telltale
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »

What's the difference? moving pointlessly in space making qte like action, eventually branching decision

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »

quantic dream gams use more qtes, telltale uses them sparingly so theyre closer to visual novels than fmv games (imo!)
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »

I dunno, what other meaningful interaction there is? you talk to people (cinematic presentation), make choice or qte for action (hence the child version), some FMV game where similar minus the emphasis on choice and less emphasis on puzzle and inventory (phantasmagoria, or even ex murphy).

It's fair to say that it has a legacy with visual novel, but the branching in heavy rain is more complex with beyond being closer to telltale structure. But there is still emphasis on both on cinematic presentation where visual novel is more like text and static image (and no qte or any action sequence playable, mostly) there is not the sense of urgency of FMV (choice are timed too in telltale's). Heavy rain flow chart: http://idmaa.org/?post_type=journalarticle&p=376

But maybe it's fair to say they actually expend not only on the legacy of FMV and include visual novel + RPG (branching narrative, dialogue tree, talking to npc massage) and adventure game too (mild puzzle, minimal inventory). You can toss bioware game too as they are essentially the same FMV oriented experience with a "regular" video games attach to them.

I would like more legacy from game like phoenix wright and LA noire to spice up npc interrogation too.

I seriously don't see major differences, more like addition and expansion (mostly through tacked on genre blending), I would like you to elaborate if you don't mind!

MrBones
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2014, 02:02:36 PM »

I wouldn't consider Telltale's games FMV's at all. Quantic Dream either. When I say FMV, I don't really refer to the gameplay, but the actual aesthetic of using Full Motion/Live Action Video as the "graphics" for the game, making it feel like you're actually making choices/affecting stuff in a B movie. That's why I list Tex Murphy as a sort of modern revival and not a game like Walking Dead.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2014, 02:14:30 PM »

But is it a genre or just an aesthetics?

MrBones
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »

It's hard to say. I'd call it a genre, not just because it has that form of aesthetic, but because it has that aesthetic and a similar form of gameplay across multiple games.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »

I wouldn't consider Telltale's games FMV's at all. Quantic Dream either. When I say FMV, I don't really refer to the gameplay, but the actual aesthetic of using Full Motion/Live Action Video as the "graphics" for the game, making it feel like you're actually making choices/affecting stuff in a B movie. That's why I list Tex Murphy as a sort of modern revival and not a game like Walking Dead.

the most famous fmv game is dragons lair and that doesnt look like a b movie at all.
MrBones
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2014, 03:25:08 PM »

the most famous fmv game is dragons lair and that doesnt look like a b movie at all.

I guess it's a bit subjective to say.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »

how does dragon's lair look like a b-movie tho? i mean it's well drawn and well animated and has no obvious qualities that mark it as "b"
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »

What do Digital Pictures games fall under? (those are the ones who made Night Trap) Also what about laserdisc games? (Dragon's Lair, Time Gal, Road Blaster, etc.)

PS: just went to YouTube and it recommended me a Dragon's Lair video. It's like it read my mind before I even posted this ( '-')
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »

btw if you really wanted to you could argue that rhythm games are fmv games
MrBones
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »

how does dragon's lair look like a b-movie tho? i mean it's well drawn and well animated and has no obvious qualities that mark it as "b"

well I mean it's not that I legitimately mean that all FMV games were "b-movies", they just carried that cheesy 80's feel to it, because you know, they were made in the 80's. I guess when I say FMV I really refer to the sub-genre from the time which specifically featured live action games with scripted QTE's and choices, which I guess isn't a gameplay genre but an aesthetic genre which really doesn't exist in modern days outside of (sorry to mention it again) Tex Murphy.

tl;dr I guess it's a better notion to say games that are Live Action than FMV's as a whole
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2014, 04:38:49 PM »

ok fair enough
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »

IMO there is the tradition and trying to find an abstract timeless definition. I tried the latter Huh?

I think FMV are defined by tradition, but then it depend on whether you think "cinematic" is enough or that the mean of storage is what is important. I classed telltale and quantic as fmv because you can simulate the experience with a bunch of youtube video with timed link annotation (in fact a game like that has been done! freaks and geeks!). But I'm fine with boxing them as a historical subgenre that convey a certain cultural artefact.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2014, 04:07:44 AM »

If those FMV games were made these days they'd be called "interactive movies" instead (since that's basically what they were). The only reason they're called FMV games is because they used FMV to do it (given that was pretty much the only feasible way to do it with the hardware available back then). I wonder what were the original plans with NEMO though (Night Trap is the poster child for live action FMV games and it was originally made for NEMO, but it's actually a lot more complex than just "press a button here and maybe branch").

I guess we could say that "interactive movie" would be the genre and "FMV game" would be the subgenre.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »

Game Show Games?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic