Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:55:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAttempts at immerson
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Attempts at immerson  (Read 3318 times)
jaredbloom
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:16:55 AM »

I got this idea from The Darkness, which allows you to watch old TV shows like Flash Gordon and full length movies including To Kill A Mockingbird from a television set. It really sucked me in and added to the atmosphere of the game.

The only other thing like this that I can think of is in Grand Theft Auto, the in-game radio stations.

Are there any unusual attempts at immersion like this in other video games?
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:27:40 AM »

Psychonauts had those very long character dialogues. I remember spending almost as much time waiting to hear their stories rather than actually play! Wink

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:04:50 AM »

not really immersion, but I think Black & White had the villagers read your email headers if you had Outlook open.

also the web browser in EVE: Online gives you something to do while mining

PGR 2&3 had Geometry Wars accessible from the garages, but bonus games aren't really 'unusual' I guess

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:34:20 PM »

The TV idea again.  The Max Payne games had a few serial TV shows broken up in to parts, 1-5 minutes each.  As you progressed through the game, you'd find TV's, and you could watch them on.  Each subsequent TV would be the next part, until the end of the game where you'd catch the final episode (often ending in some tragedy).  Pretty cool.

The AI's/Enemies dialog would sometimes be on the topic of the shows.  One baddie was a big fan of a show, with his home filled with TV show swag.

Technically speaking, each show was an audio track, and a series of images.  Not really at any framerate, but when the scenes change, or they wanted to accent something, they'd change the image.  Worked very well I found.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:35:54 PM by PoV » Logged

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 12:39:56 PM »

Prey had segments of a fake Art Bell show talking about the in-game alien abductions as you progressed through the big alien ship. That was probably my favorite part of the game.

Examples
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:54:32 PM by Alec » Logged

wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »

It's interesting to watch people in the neighboring building in Silent Hill 4. Also, when not actually looking out the window, I remember staring at it intently from across the room to see whether I had only imagined something that I won't spoil here.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 12:48:12 PM »

Dr. Breen giving his speaches all over city 17th, eventually addressing them directly to you as you're running around, throwing buckets of paints at people.

that was a great little storytelling trick.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:15:10 PM »

Those elements are all there to make the world more believable. Since the world doesn't feel as fake you can immerse yourself into it with less effort. It's all in the small details, really. Things half of the players might not even notice, but subconsciously having those details around helps you become more attached to the world, even if you're not focusing on them.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 02:43:34 PM »

guert: yay psychonauts! i don't think i've even listened to all the audio dialouge recorded in that game, there is simply too much!

similarly - using the power which enabled you to view the world from other characters allowed you to see how those characters percieved the main character, i'd say thats pretty immersive!

i don't know if this counts - but theres also something to be said about the atmosphere of your surroundings that contributes to game immersion.
i felt so wrapped up in the world of jade empire because (of all things) the trees and leaves. even though it couldn't possibly be the case, each tree felt invididual and distinct from one another.

cheers, rey-o
.TakaM
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 07:14:09 AM »

yeah, for me the environment and atmosphere is what usually immerses me, playing super metroid for example I would plow through multiple rooms then stop, and sort of get back into my head and have no idea what exactly I just did with my hands, but I'm here in the next room Tongue
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »

well, now thats it out and that i've player a big part of it, i can say that bioshock has one of the thickest atmosphere i've ever experienced. the whole thing just oozes atmosphere. id say its what the games does best.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 10:28:59 AM »

well, now thats it out and that i've player a big part of it, i can say that bioshock has one of the thickest atmosphere i've ever experienced. the whole thing just oozes atmosphere.

Man, that must make such a mess on your computer table (or where you place your 360 if you're playing that version). What do you use to clean it?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic