Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411483 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:27:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs#3 - Arcade Maze Driving Game
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: #3 - Arcade Maze Driving Game  (Read 18496 times)
Pezomi
Level 0

swag swag swag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 05:00:21 PM »

he saw my insanely good suggestion and has been too inspired to post updates because he's working so fast and brilliantly

Well, hello there!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 11:29:14 PM »

I've been working on the engine that I used for Kyro a lot, and have been thinking about different concepts and ideas; I've made a mock-up of tiles and I have a character for the next game. I've got it working in-engine with some basic movement and walking up stairs and stuff, which is pretty nice. I'd like for it to just be a fun Metroid-like title. I don't know how possible that will be, but it shouldn't be any less possible than any other game (I don't think it's inherently more complex by a greater margin), though it very well might be. Only time will tell.

Just got a bit so far.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 05:00:32 AM »

It's inspiring reading about these super short development sprints. Haven't had time to try playing any of them yet but would like to. Hope you keep going!

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »

Watched the vid for Kyro.
Everything about it was really good.
Music, sounds and the art made everything feel really comfy

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 12:53:54 AM »

Thanks, Ishi!
And thanks, Fervir. Glad you liked how it turned out!

So I've been doing some stuff here and there. Today I worked on the starting area, which is a blank "space between dimensions". Basically, the game takes place in a big jumbled up maze that can pull things and environments from all through Earth's time and space (which means a lot of rooms, but that can be outside, inside, on fire, snowing, etc.) I suppose it'll mainly just be for variety over actual game mechanics; there's a lot I could do with the idea, but I probably won't get around to really having top-notch level design, haha.

Anyway, I got movement and jumping working OK. Stair-climbing also works pretty well. The idea of this game is to be a Metroid-like with smooth movement, where the game doesn't really get in your way as you traverse and explore the environment. Not sure if I'll be able to pull it off, but it's worth a shot, I think. Not much to show at the moment, but here you go.

I have to work on the GUI some more, but it's OK for now. I'll have to keep iterating it over and over to get something that I'm satisfied with, but I think I have a good core idea for how it should look and work.

Anyway, I'll have to get to work!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2015, 02:00:07 AM »

Spent time making stuff today and made a pretty good amount of progress. I have some enemy sprites done, which is encouraging, and I also finally have an OK looking GUI to base the rest of the style on. Walking up and down stairs is working ok, as well.

Onward!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2015, 12:23:03 AM »

Hey, there. It's been awhile since my last post. I decided to scrap that last project as it was just too large conceptually. I keep doing this, haha. :| I think I need to back it down considerably if I'm considering a Metroid or Adventure game - games that seem to be expansive are easy to spin out of control. At the very least, I think I should plan out the overall structure and mechanics of the gameplay before I get too far with it. Otherwise i just end up burning myself out, in a sense.

In any case, I'm now working on a relatively simple maze game. I'm planning for it to be somewhat like Pacman with more hazards and drifting...? You go into a maze, try to collect all of the whatevers, and then make it to the exit. Meanwhile, there are enemy cars and other hazards that threaten you.

So far, I've got driving, turning and reversing for the player's car. The controls are a bit awkward, but I think it could work, so I'm going to keep trying to work on it. Surprisingly, it keeps feeling slightly more fun the more I keep improving on it, and that goes for the graphics, as well. Kinda feels like I might be able to finish this, hah.

Anyway, thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:32:44 AM by SolarLune » Logged

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2015, 07:25:32 AM »

Good to see you back at it. I was wondering about this. Hand Thumbs Up Left
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2015, 10:38:05 PM »

Glad that you liked reading about it. I recently got a full-time job, so these "Shakecan Games" are less time-focused and more content-focused, I guess; I haven't had much time where I wanted to work on this, but we'll see how this one turns out.

I added gas cans that refuel your boost meter when you touch them. They're 3D spinning models at the moment, but I'm not sure if they clash with the style of the game or not (as the character isn't 3D; just the gas can). Anyway, we'll see as things go along, I guess.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2015, 11:55:51 PM »

Hey, so this game has an actual thread for it, which means this thread here has pretty much served its purpose. Hurrah!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic