Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412011 Posts in 69462 Topics- by 58494 Members - Latest Member: aeterponis

July 05, 2024, 04:23:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingStunt Race FX inspired Prototype
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Stunt Race FX inspired Prototype  (Read 2631 times)
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2014, 06:31:02 PM »

Hey guys,

Just quickly made this after playing Stunt Race FX today:

http://www.warsoup.com/RacingGame/RacingGameWeb.html

Or as an exectuable:

http://www.warsoup.com/RacingGame/RacingGameBuilds.zip (Contains both Windows and Mac Builds now)

Needs an Xbox Controller to play it.

Very, very, very crude, but I enjoyed it and thought I should share Smiley

I'd love to see a game like this again - more based on actual racing and not on 'who gets the crazy powerup', 4 player splitscreen, etc. Leave thoughts! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 04:15:59 AM by thomasmahler » Logged

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »

This feels pretty good. The movement is nice and smooth, and the controls feel responsive.

It's a bit weird that the car doesn't tilt on slopes, but my main "issue" (not really an issue at all) was just the button used for the gas. Why the A button and not a trigger like so many racing games?

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:03:29 PM »

@Quicksand: I fixed the tilting, the car should now adjust to the surface. Regarding the A button, it's supposed to be more arcadey, similar to Stunt Race FX and Mario Kart.

I also updated the webBuild and added a few things. You can now drift if you hit RB and if you collect one of the yellow thingies and press B, you get a boost.

I think it's already quite fun, would love to get some feedback Smiley

Also, if you want to download it instead of playing the webDemo:

http://www.warsoup.com/RacingGame/RacingGameBuilds.zip

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 06:34:59 PM »

The tilting is nice. A little too instantaneous, maybe, but it still feels good. It might be nice to catch a bit of air when you hit a downward slope after moving upward a while, though.

The boost is all right but the motion blur wasn't "motion" enough for me and felt a bit too "blur".

The drifting feels really off, like the car takes control of itself rather than using my momentum. It also felt like I was being forced sideways rather than just moving at the angle I would've expected.

I guess I'll share some of my pretty limited experience with developing kart racing games (two or three unfinished ones over the years that felt pretty good to play). Feel free to ignore this if you're not interested. If I remember right, what I did in kart games is slightly increase the turning speed while decreasing the traction, so the car would have keep its sideways momentum while trying to pull itself forward at the same time. The velocity vector never catches up to the car's direction until you let it (or hit something). I didn't have to do anything else, as far as I remember, so the car never felt like it was acting completely differently. If you want to make it a little more arcadey, you could do it in more of Mario Kart style and only increase the turning speed while the car is in mid hop before a drift.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 06:32:09 PM »

I couldn't get this to work. On my MacBook Pro, the controls didn't work (assuming you used Unity, and the button mappings are different on Mac than on Windows).

On my Surface Pro 3, I only saw a blue screen. Using Microsoft Internet Explorer, so that could've been the issue.

Good luck!

thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 03:27:07 AM »

I couldn't get this to work. On my MacBook Pro, the controls didn't work (assuming you used Unity, and the button mappings are different on Mac than on Windows).

On my Surface Pro 3, I only saw a blue screen. Using Microsoft Internet Explorer, so that could've been the issue.

Good luck!

Could you try this executable?

http://www.warsoup.com/RacingGame/RacingGameBuilds.zip

Maybe the effects on top use some shaders that aren't supported by the GPU in the Surface. Might help to set the settings to something lower, too. I haven't tried it on a Mac yet, but usually Macs and Unity are a bit weird when it comes to the Input system, especially the webPlayer stuff.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:37:04 AM by thomasmahler » Logged

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »

Still no love. On the 'Fastest' graphics setting, I see the car & 3 cubes (they're black - completely unlit) and I don't see the environment at all. On the 'Fantastic' graphics setting, I don't even see that. I just see some small green cubes in the top right hand corner of the screen.

When I can see the car, I can get it moving. But obviously since I can't see the environment it's a little wonky.

thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 04:16:59 AM »

I updated the RacingGameBuilds.zip (http://www.warsoup.com/RacingGame/RacingGameBuilds.zip), so if you download it again, it now also has a native Mac Build in it - hope that works Smiley

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »

Gave the Mac build a try. Looks fine, but controller bindings still don't work.

In Unity, the Mac input bindings for XBox controllers are different than on Windows. Check out this link for the different Mac settings.

thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »

Small update:

http://www.warsoup.com/RacingGame/RacingGameWeb.html

I quicky modeled that cute Stunt Race FX car and added a different boost mechanic. You drift with RB and build-up the boost bar. When it's orange, you boost with B!

I think I'll go for this kinda style:

That'd bring it a bit closer to the Super FX games or Virtua Racing, etc. and would look stunning @1080p 60.

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »

That style looks great. I've always loved smooth-shaded, artistically low-poly graphics like that.

I didn't have my gamepad plugged in this time, so I tried the keyboard. Wasn't sure what the boost key was, but Control acted as both acceleration and the button for firing "green shells" that bounced around. A bit weird to have both on the same key, even for testing. I was happy to see that I could have probably a hundred of those things bouncing around without any slowdown whatsoever, though.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »

Have you look at this?
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/polyworld-for-unity.239365/

plus I go through the track in the proto

phillipfoshee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 08:22:11 AM »

Your prototype worked fine for me aside from some collider issues, and I don't think it was counting the laps... That may have also been related to the colliders though. That music was oddly familiar..  Wink

Keep going with this! I'm also a big fan of the Super FX games, especially Stunt Race and Star Fox. Did you ever play Dirt Trax? It had good moments, the framerate was just terrible. I'm coincidentally working on a project with similar influences (only with hoverbikes) if you want to check it out. =]

B-12 (Brantisky Mk. 12) - https://brantisky.itch.io/b-12 - Free alpha download
Hoverbike Joust - http://www.indiedb.com/games/hoverbike-joust - Free alpha download
SpookyCat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 06:14:21 AM »

That is a great fun demo, looking forward to more updates, love the style.

MegaFiers - Mesh Deformation  Animation
MegaShapes - Advanced Spline  Lofting
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »

@Gimym: Thanks for the link! Looks interesting, but I think I'll just build the tracks in Maya, should be a bit easier.

@Phillip: Yeah, I still only use one raycast to track the ground, so sometimes the raycast might not be accurate enough and you'll fall through (You can press Y on your controller to restart) - I'll try to get to that soon. Haven't worked on the wallcolliders yet, right now I've just been dabbling around with the actual car 'physics'.

@Spooky: Cool, glad you liked it!

How do you guys like the controls now? It takes a bit of time getting used to the RB Drifting / Boosting, etc., but I think it's already quite fun.

I have almost no time right now to work on this thing, since we're getting super close to shipping Ori and the Blind Forest, but I updated the WebPlayer Build. I worked on the controls a bit, made the gravity stuff work quite a bit better (still quite far from feeling just 'right') and made the actual race track stand out a bit more. This is still an ugly prototype track right now, I'll try to get to model a real race track soon Smiley

TjTownsend
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »

Looks like a good framework for the start of a racing game. I also agree with the art style you mentioned, that would look awesome. I also think the button choice for the throttle is fine. I did the same thing for my game to try and be cross compatible out of the box with controllers that lack triggers. For arcade style action it actually might set the tone to not use simulator type axis controls for break and gas.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 06:05:15 AM »

Its a little awkward at the start that I can turn left, but not right again. Also, no walls work. It looks cool, and might be nice if fleshed out into a game like the image you showed. Overall not much to say atm though.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 12:42:56 AM »

Its a little awkward at the start that I can turn left, but not right again.

Huh? Could you elaborate? I don't think I know what you mean, you should always be able to steer into any direction.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 05:07:43 AM »

If you accelerate a little bit then turn left, then let go of the acceleration button, the car just sticks in a left-tilting position, even though it is not moving at all. If the car slows down I think it would be more natural to go back to the original position.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 05:28:22 AM »

Ah, thanks, yeah, I didn't get to that yet. Also implemented a rough wall collision system Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic