Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:13:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMASOCHISIA | The Long-Tail (Fall, Christmas & Lunar Sale Stats)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: MASOCHISIA | The Long-Tail (Fall, Christmas & Lunar Sale Stats)  (Read 70633 times)
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »

I'm not a fan of the scanlines, i'd prefer grain/noise. Vignette looks good.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:29 AM »

I'm not a fan of the scanlines, i'd prefer grain/noise. Vignette looks good.

Thank you for the feedback. I've received mixed reactions to the scan lines. Reactions seem to range strictly "for" or "against". I feel, the best selling point of simulating the aged television is that the game will feature several "meta" moments throughout and there could be opportunity to exploit the television theme, particularly for elements surrounding the player's sanity.

That being said, I should probably temporarily put the environmental visuals on hold and revisit them in the near future to get some fresh perspective. I was sidelined with some sort of virus last night that is leaving me physically drained. This is unfortunate as I was really feeling in a groove.

I think my next steps will be to visit the character design and see if I can get some of these visions out of my head... More to come. Assuming the sickness doesn't take me first...

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 06:57:46 AM »

DEVLOG 6.

I think at some level, we were all afraid of the shadows as child. The shadow under the bed, in the closet… That pile of clothes on your dresser that now suspiciously remind of you of a tyrannical monster. A kidnapper. A murderer. A child-snatcher. A Boogeyman.

We all had different monsters. Your Boogeyman was not like mine. But then again, no one’s was like mine. “How?” you may ask? Because mine was the original. The first. The inspiration. The name-sake. THE Boogeyman.

It’s hard to describe to you how he looks. He is tall. An older gentleman. Thin. Very thin, actually. His complexion is pale, almost gray in nature. I can still hear him mumbling. I don’t know what he is saying, but I know it’s about me.

CASE 0.1

CASE 0.2

SO HOW DOES THIS WORK IN GAME?

Run out of pills? The Boogeyman is one of hallucinations who will follow you, and hunt you, and kill you. And no, you can't kill a hallucination. You may be able to bury him for awhile by taking your pills, staying focused... But eventually the pills will run out. They always do. Then, what are you going to do when the Boogeyman comes for you?

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 07:40:38 AM »

That's creepy. Also, is that what's haunting your avatar? Tongue
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »

Osteel: Keen eye. Yes, except this is the final piece. And creepy is what I'm aiming for. Thanks for the feedback.

DEVLOG 6.1

Despite being bed-ridden by this virus, I've been sorting through old files, trying to find the inspirations. Digging through my old pieces and found this, which is my earliest rendering of the "grayman" and how I remember him looking.

Funny to see a lot of similarities despite polarizingly different approaches to the art. Looking back at these, it's clear to see what I remember the most-- I seem to have obsessed over his hands. I remember those quite clearly.

Moving. They’re always moving. Twitching. Cracking. Gray hands. Strong hands...

It's important to note though that I don't feel this "style" would work with the art for Masochisia. Mostly because I want to "humanize" the Boogeyman because after-all, he was a human. I think this style falls into "horror cliche" and may be mistaken as some variation of the "slender man" or other such nonsense. But I've been wrong before...

What do you think?

airn4116
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 09:04:41 PM »

I really like these character designs! I think i agree with you though, the older pieces from your collection may not necessarily jive with the style of masochisia. On the other hand though the juxtaposition of this aesthetic against the brighter visuals might be really jarring in an interesting and creepy way.

Maybe as you lose your sanity he appears in the more ethereal forms to you, hinting that he's coming before coalescing into the awesome human form you posted earlier?

Either way keep it up. I'm enjoying following your progress immensely.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 09:29:34 PM »

I like the one in the middle, but the spirit dudes on the left and the right have odd proportions, they don't look "creepy" like the other one does.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 10:21:14 PM »

This DevLog has some incredible style, I'll give it that.  Very reminiscent of Lemoney Snickett.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 06:47:36 AM »

Thank you all for the compliments and feedback. It's very encouraging, particularly when I'm in the middle of sweating out a fever...

It's also encouraging as this is an odd "game" that I don't really believe actually has a market. Some may call it a "vanity project" because I have no reason to make this other than that I simply want to. But regardless, I'm quite motivated to complete it. I've given myself an intensive deadline of 6 months to wrap up the project, so my sights are set on a June completion. I suppose you will all find out if I successfully meet that target.

@airn: That is certainly an interesting idea. A big determining factor on if that would be viable really will come down to how the insanity effect looks and feels, it may be able to stand on its own feet. But if not, could be an interesting blend.

@turkey: I agree. The one in the middle was always my "favorite". Using the term loosely as I never actually enjoyed creating any of them.

@FK: That is a great compliment as I've always considered Daniel Handler to have a unique writing style, particularly in consideration that his works are aimed at children.

I can feel the heat from my eyes as if they're melting from their sockets. I must rest. If I survive this virus, I will attempt to get some more content out this weekend...

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 07:37:47 AM »

I hope you're starting to feel better.

It's also encouraging as this is an odd "game" that I don't really believe actually has a market.

Well, I think the "odd" factor is a hit or miss feature depending on how you exploit it. If it is truly unique, it'll help set the game apart (ex.: The Stanley Parable). If it's meant to be different but actually just a clone of something, that would be more risky.

Remember how "Hotline Miami" took the gaming world by storm? It had some psychadelic music and it was heavily influenced by psychology and neurosis. I find psychology to be a fascinating theme to explore, creatively and game design wise.

The "insane" protagonist reminds of "Hotline Miami" in a good way.

Regarding the art, I find that your style is also fairly unique, which is a good thing. The hallucination "Boogeyman" has some European comic book influence which I like. Especially the first version, oddly enough. The second version, while aesthically more pleasing, is less unique and more "common". If clashes with the idea of a psychopath (for me). If you could have art which is perceived through the eyes of someone insane, you could really exploit something interesting there.

Also, the design of the other "shadows" is cool. I wish there were more... original? They are designed like Slender the game, long arms, long legs and so on. I wish you could push the envelope and go for something really batshit insane you know as opposed to a humanoid shape with glowing white eyes. That's just my preference though, I'm just saying this as food for thought or possible inspiration for you. Feel free to disregard, just putting this out there.

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »

wow the characters are coming along pretty well, good job man.
And don't think i was criticizing your work in any way, i was just pointing out something that bothered me personally, after all, this is your game, you name it however you want, am i right?
keep going btw, im lurking.  Coffee
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »

@zizka: Thank you for the feedback. You bring up interesting points. Some notes that are in line with your suggestions are (1.) the Boogeyman will not be the only hallucination you encounter. Some will kill you. Some will talk to you. Some will just make you more insane. (2.) Visually, being insane will also be very different, so the world will not appear as it does in the screenshots.

@Edd: I didnt feel you were criticizing the work, and would not have been upset if you were. There is no room for improvement without feedback. I appreciate the feedback.

DEVLOG 7.

The fever has broken and I am hoping for a return to "normalcy" next week (or at least as normal as can be expected of me). I had hoped for some sort of fevered vision to help enhance my game but found that the fever instead brought only intense pain. Such is life.

I spent this morning really thinking about "horror" and if that is the true objective for this game. I've come to the conclusion that scaring the player is really not my primary objective. I'd much rather have the player feel uncomfortable with the subject matter they're interacting with than to be scared by it. A player who quits the game because they don't feel comfortable continuing would be more ideal to me than one who quits from fear. This is not to say that things won't or can't be scary, but that it will not by my ultimate goal.

This makes me wonder if labeling it a "horror" is doing it a disservice? But if it is not horror, then I don't know what other label should apply to it.

I've begun to play with the idea of what being insane looks like visually. To define, "insanity" is the struggle that the player must battle throughout the game with it continually creeping in as you progress throughout the game. Insanity can only be kept at bay through the consumption of medication.

In the event that medication is not available, then a player will fall into Insanity. Once insane, hallucinations will begin to appear as you attempt to progress further. One can not be insane for very long before they will be killed by their hallucinations. The only hope for survival when insane is to either locate more medication or to summon help from a mysterious "being" through some forms of masochistic self-mutilation. But more on this mechanic later...

I need the player to feel physically uncomfortable while insane, this unease will be accomplished with both visual and aural changes. Ideally, once a player has "gone insane", they will be quite confident that they do not want to do it again. Not everyone can handle my life... The fine line here is insuring that the player does not get TOO physically uncomfortable with the insanity so as to not continue. Mentally uncomfortable is ideal. Physically uncomfortable is not.

I will post more content on this once I have some early iterations in place.

A very early test of the Boogeyman idling. I was never much of an animator, so I will definitely be taking a "less is more" approach to animation throughout.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 07:49:29 AM »

's ok i was never intending on EVER sleeping again

Really effective artwork! Those older grayman sketches are absolutely terrifying. Maybe you can incorporate the black aura into the new design somehow? That'd be really creepy.

Agree on the last tree in the question put forth on the first page btw, but I suppose you're already done with that decision now.

Very interesting project, anyhow!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 07:15:05 AM »

@Prinsessa: Thank you for the feedback. We've received a few comments saying similarly we should try to incorporate some of the darkness into the current characters. Think its a great idea and been tinkering with the idea that perhaps once the hallucination attacks, you get a glimpse of a darker version. Will have to see.

DEVLOG 8.

Insanity. That is what I will speak of today. I’ve touched on the topic in other responses so I’m not going to get repetitive here--

You’re not insane. Your mother is. Your brother is insane. You’re just perverted…

Yes Father.

I’ve been often asked: “How did you become a psychopath?”

It’s far more genetic than you may realize, but I didn’t just “snap” and become any different than you. My brain simply just doesn’t process the way yours does. More specifically: my neural response within my Amygdala simply doesn’t function correctly. My brain does not process emotions properly and when presented with moral “dilemmas”, I see no dilemma. If my doctor were to tell me that killing you would be therapeutic, nothing within me would trigger a repulsion to this idea because I operate as if my Amygdala simply didn’t exist.

The sadomasochistic tendencies however, THAT was a process. A very slow process. But that is a whole other topic. The one thing about insanity that most of you simply don’t realize is just how lonely it is. “What makes it lonely?”

Imagine being 12 years old. And already, at this age, you’ve reached the point in your life where you can no longer talk about whats going on in your head because the thoughts are so brutal, and the desires are so intense- that telling anyone would instantly ostracize you from them. Your friends, your family, those you wish to love. You learn to not talk to others because, what I have to say-- you simply are not capable of hearing without triggering a negative response.

In Masochisia, when you’re insane, hallucinations begin to occur. Sometimes these hallucinations will hurt you, other times they won’t. In addition to bringing hallucinations, insanity also creates visual and aural changes to the world around you.

This is my first test at:
● Levels of insanity (from light visual/aural changes to heavy)
● Summoning a hallucination and going insane
● What does that sound & look like
● I want the player to be uncomfortable when insane w/out being too uncomfortable

Ignore the devconsole commands, they make it easier to change settings in the game. Check out this short clip on YouTube, its in HD so feel free to adjust the video to HD to get a better feel for the visuals and hear the audio. Recommend over-ear headphones.

Feedback? Too much?

Here is a GIF for the lazy, but will need to see the video for SFX. Please bear in mind this is early prototype and I'm looking for feedback.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »

DEVLOG 8.1

Aural

Thoughts?

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »

DEVLOG 9.

Have you ever hated all of the work you've done?

I spent the weekend working on more art assets to build out more "rooms". Rooms are the areas which connect one area to the next, generally numbered and part of a particular theme (e.g. "Valley Room 1-3, Woods 1-5 etc"). These rooms are of varying sizes and can be both interior or exterior rooms.

As I put together the series of rooms, I've been struck with the unfortunate realization that I don't like the art. This is a most unpleasant feeling.

A SHED. Where your journey begins...

Most disconcerting of all is simply that I don't know what I don't like.

When each piece is viewed in singularity, I have no issues or concerns with it. When I put all the pieces together, they simply do not coexist as they do in my head...

HOME. There is truly no place like home...

And here things begin to fall apart...

I do feel the buildings have become "too detailed" and that this is leading to part of the conflict. But I find myself even starting to doubt my choice of color palette and general aesthetic. I'd certainly hate to waste a month of art but I'm not sure how to proceed visually at this stage.

I will continue to play with the assets and find a way to make them work or simply find a new solution. Either way, this is certainly unfortunate.

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »

I'm loving this devlog! Can't wait to see what this game develops in to.  Grin
Also, the way you write your devlog is so very different from anything I've read before. I love it, every post you make is like reading a new fantastic short story.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:06:50 PM by Lemoncreme » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 09:08:38 AM »

@Lemoncreme: Thanks for the positive feedback. Always encouraging.

DEVLOG 10.

After spending a few days going through the rut of questioning all of the aesthetics, I've decided to move on and just continue with the direction. This has always been a personal project verses one I saw with real "commercial potential" so it shouldn't really matter whether I doubt the style or not. I will simply continue down the path I started.

Last night I returned to the overpass where I found the homeless Angel a month ago, although, I don't know why I went back. I assume I was looking for affirmation of some sort? The weather has been warmer for this time of year so I was surprised to find a larger number of homeless there than I found on New Years. Unfortunately, none of them were Michael and none seemed to know who he was. I find it aggravating that he seems to have disappeared. Maybe I wont put him in the game now--

Currently, I'm working on some interior pieces and the early stages of "exits". Which is the ability to move from one area (or room) to the next. I now have exits that connect to different rooms and allow me to choose the placement of where the exit places me within the connecting room. As the game grows, these exits will become confusing so I've given myself a map of connecting rooms to eliminate confusion.

Other than a fade in, there are no real "transitions" at this stage but the functionality is fully there now.

Currently when I move the cursor over an exit, some text appears to show which room I'm moving towards. I dont know that this will stay in the game, currently- it exists simply to make it easier for me to know what Im connecting to. But if I never get around to implementing a map feature, would be an alternative to make it easier for people to navigate the rooms. Other areas that could be improved:

Transitions. Currently just fades in and out. Would like to tie SFX to this and potentially have different types of transitions for "indoor" vs "outdoor" rooms.
Exit Highlights. Currently the exit area highlights to reveal where you can exit a room but I'd like to update this to being tied to a specific sprite layer which would look much cleaner.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 06:15:15 AM »

Ah awesome! Pretty neat indeed, but you should edit your very first post with more graphic material because it's not really inviting the forumer to scroll down at first. My 2 cents. Smiley

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 07:13:32 AM »

@ephoete: Yeah, I probably should update page 1. I like the idea of being able to start at the beginning and see how the game evolves from an idea into something else as you move through the pages but I understand some want to just click the main page and see what its all about. I'm torn. We'll see.

DEVLOG 11.

Will attempt to spare my usual ramblings--

Oh the things you will find in the Cellar if you look. What kinds of things can you unearth? Perhaps a "message" for your Father. Also playing with particle effects.

The Cellar

The Cellar : Insane

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic