Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:42:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTemple Raiders
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Temple Raiders  (Read 3136 times)
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2015, 02:45:21 AM »

2020 Update

Hey everyone, I've been returning to this project recently, it started out in 2015 as a 3D platformer. I quit back then because I had so much trouble with making a level editor. I'm pleased to say after gaining much more experience over 5 years, I'm back and I've coded a level editor successfully!

I'll leave most of the original post here for nostalgia purposes. Coffee

So what is it?

It's a 2 Player (online only) platformer where your vision is swapped with your partner. This means you control your character but only your partner can see them.

I have 7 levels complete so far, and I'm working on more mechanics other than moving platforms and switches Wink.

You can download the game here although keep in mind you need 2 players and preferably a VOIP program like Skype.

Controls: (Xbox controller preferred)
Keyboard:
W/A/S/D - Move
Q/E - Tilt View
Space - Jump

Controller:
Left Joystick - Move
L/R Triggers - Tilt View
A - Jump

Thanks for reading guys, I'll be updating soon.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:21:27 AM by Excy » Logged

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:03:02 AM »

Update #1:

I've decided on a theme, I want it to be sort of a temple/Indiana Jones style game collecting gold statues or gems. It seems like it would make for a good atmosphere and could lead to a bit more depth. I've done an idle and jump animation for the player, next is walking Smiley

Ninja edit/Update #1.1:

I have a walk animation down. Not entirely happy with it but I want to take a break from the player now, the animations are in place, they just need updating sometime. Onto treasure art :D Also this gif showcases gravity switches!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:36:03 AM by Exception » Logged

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:12:22 AM »

Update #1.3:

Okay, so networking the animations took a while but it's down and working perfect now, also redesigned the points to gems. I want a harder treasure to get though, like a grail or golden statue or something and put them in really tricky places. As of now, there's no consequence to dying other than being reset and there's no function to actually reset the level in there so that's something I'm going to have to work on.

I also added a little light flicker just to add a little more atmosphere, may need some tinkering but it looks cool.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:10:28 AM »

Update #1.4:
(Trying to keep update numbers at 1 per day so sorry about spam)

So I was messing around with textures and popped back into Unity and it's already looking like a different setting.

I'm currently modelling a little ladder and I also want to change the switch textures.

Okay, done! Now they look like a retired version of their former selves Smiley Quite happy.

Another quick ninja update...
The game on my other monitor looks a lot darker and I realised how dim the whole thing was so I put a directional light in there and it helps, I also turned on shadows, I think I'm liking that.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:16:36 AM by Exception » Logged

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »

Update #2:

Made a new puzzle mechanic which I can't wait to see people try. When player 1 stands on the green tiles, the yellow platform mimics the player (and snaps to a 1x1 grid for ease) while the other player has to try and stay on the platform Cheesy

No gif of it in action yet but I'll keep the updates coming!

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 04:28:32 AM »

Update #3:

Made some water drops and a water flow thing, I feel like something's missing in them at the moment but they're coming along.

I've also been thinking about a single player version. Probably wouldn't be as expanded as the multiplayer content but I'll add some anyway.

GemLettuce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:34:30 AM »

Wow, I love the style of pixel art used here. The functionality of the switches are pretty awesome too!

Can't wait to see more updates!  Kiss
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 05:32:55 AM »

Wow, I love the style of pixel art used here. The functionality of the switches are pretty awesome too!

Can't wait to see more updates!  Kiss

Haha thanks!

airn4116
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »

I really like the art as well. I know you said you're mainly a programmer but I think you've done a good job with it.

Your game has a really cool and interesting idea I can't wait to see what more you add to it!

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 09:52:58 AM »

I really like the art as well. I know you said you're mainly a programmer but I think you've done a good job with it.

Your game has a really cool and interesting idea I can't wait to see what more you add to it!

Thanks Smiley It's the first time I've ever touched models

DixumGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »

I looks really great! I specially like the hat bobing  Gomez when you walk around. Keep it up Smiley
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 10:27:31 AM »

I looks really great! I specially like the hat bobing  Gomez when you walk around. Keep it up Smiley

Thank you! I need to make his hat fly up when falling too Smiley

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 05:26:18 AM »

Update #3.1:

Okay, I'm not a modeller whatsoever and over the course of this game I may be replacing a lot of the models Tired

Anyway, here's a water chute! Just for aesthetics.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 12:00:53 PM »

Update #4:

So I have a good standing in core programming of the games gameplay. It's taking me around a few hours to build a level though and I've been thinking about a level editor which I could also release with the game which in turn would be extremely fun to see what people come up with. This will have to be really in depth but here's a start!

You can select blocks, now I need to make it so you can add blocks, should be fun.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 12:04:10 PM »

It's looking good Smiley
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 02:53:49 PM »

It's looking good Smiley

Thank you! I appreciate the comment :D

This was harder than I thought but basic blocks are down v.v now for complicated blocks Evil

(Sorry I had to draw a penis.)

Edit: This is what I mean by complicated...

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »

You could build everything in basic blocks and combine them to complex blocks later, for example holding ctrl key and select two blocks.
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 03:52:21 PM »

You could build everything in basic blocks and combine them to complex blocks later, for example holding ctrl key and select two blocks.

Holy .. that's an amazing idea. I have to give this a shot at least.

Also another quick update:

(Sorry about the amount of gifs on this page..)

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 08:11:55 PM »

Update #4:

Okay so I've been working pretty hard on this and this is the first time I've ever truly attempted a fully fledged level editor, feels like I'm getting somewhere.

I've added player spawns which you can move around.

Selecting a block will now bring up its position and rotation which you can change and.. you can now add a trigger!

So when you add a trigger, it becomes a "Wired" block. You can give it either a switch or a button trigger and set its offset when that selected trigger is on. The "None" bit drops down with all the current switches in the level you've made. Pretty neat.

Oh you can also add blocks and scroll to change which block you're adding. Apart from that, I've actually made a lot of progress on saving and loading levels. I plan for people to be able to publish their level to a server that holds all of them and for players to browse and download levels (automatically, of course). Good progress today, I need to make some UI elements but I'm getting excited to use this level editor!

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 02:51:47 AM »

This looks really cool! Reminds me of a 3D Spelunky Smiley Will there be enemy types?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic