Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1401054 Posts in 67847 Topics- by 61382 Members - Latest Member: lolapaluuza

May 27, 2022, 10:33:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)System Specs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: System Specs  (Read 3232 times)
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:21:25 PM »

In terms of system specs, I was wondering what people are shooting for these days as minimum requirements? I use Valve's Steam Survey as my foundation:

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

While this is indicative of a different genre than most indie games, the fact that it's derived from over one million players seems like it's still relevant in terms of defining an average gamer's specs.

I'm thinking somewhere around 2.0GHZ Intel, 512MB ram, 64MB vram, and 1280x1024 feels about right for a 3D game. Thoughts?

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 03:00:21 PM »

That spec seems about right. I generally target machines in terms of Apple hardware generations; I am just starting to leave the mid-model G4s and move onto the late-model G4s and early-model G5s in terms of recommended performance spec.

I always implement my renderers to be fairly portable, so they spend a bit of time warming up and detecting what hardware they're running on at the moment.

For instance, my framebuffer class will drop from FBO to PBO to CopyTex to "return pink" depending on what capabilities are exposed by the device. The only problems I run into are when the device responds with one set of capabilities but is missing a whole other set (this often happens with early-model Radeon 9xxx series drivers, who claim various SM versions but don't implement the actual functionality).

I'm hoping to extend this to the gameplay as well... something I want to do for my next game is have particle physics on a second core and offer some other effects  that can be ramped up and down depending on performance levels.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 03:03:01 PM by ravuya » Logged

Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »

Keep in mind that the Valve specs are for people who use Steam and play Valve games (and games like those that Steam is distributing). If you want to make a game that is going to be played by people who don't generally play these games (f.e. a classic adventure game), these stats lose their usefulness a lot

~bs~
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »

(and games like those that Steam is distributing).
Steam has such a wide variety of games now its hard to make this generalization.  You can get everything from Bioshock to Gish to Peggle to Civ 4 on Steam, not to mention older games like X-Com and Wolfenstein that will easily run on 10 or 15 yearold hardware Smiley. The games have wildly different hardware requirements.  It is probably still safe to say that most people that use Steam are HL2 or CS players and have hardware that can run those games decently.
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:36:37 PM »

Steam added these games (there is a special "indie" category :-)) just for added value, but it's not a hidden secret that Steam means mostly hardcore action gaming (although i don't want to base it on personal experience, i can't help but note that all the games i've bought from Steam are FPS's).

Doom and Wolfenstein can indeed run in 15 years old hardware, however when run from Steam they use Dosbox, which requires a lot of processing power to emulate a whole system from this era :-).

~bs~
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:31:09 PM »

It'd be nice to filter that list by what games the machines have registered to them.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »

I know the list is a bit biased towards gamers who play higher end FPS (keep in mind HL2 is 3 years old now) but the fact that over a million people were surveyed means you're getting a pretty wide spectrum of players. There just isn't anything close in terms of raw data out there to pull from.

I'd love to see a hardware survey done from indie gamers to compare and contrast with...

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:45:41 AM »

I know the list is a bit biased towards gamers who play higher end FPS (keep in mind HL2 is 3 years old now) but the fact that over a million people were surveyed means you're getting a pretty wide spectrum of players. There just isn't anything close in terms of raw data out there to pull from.

I'd love to see a hardware survey done from indie gamers to compare and contrast with...

lol...I can run games that were great looking three years ago...I have 1.4GB of memory but only have a 64mb video card (nowadays it seems you have to have 128 and up) but for indie gaming my computer rocks!

Man, another reason I love indie gaming soo much....but I wish I could play Bioshock and Oblivion and maybe Starcraft 2? *sigh*

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 04:25:28 AM »

Man, another reason I love indie gaming soo much....but I wish I could play Bioshock and Oblivion and maybe Starcraft 2? *sigh*

Blizzard have said that Starcraft 2 is going to be 'very scalable'.  This is my flickering candle of light in the darkness.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 05:02:23 AM »

I hate games that don't work on the GeForce 4 MX. I know it's a horrible video card, and I know it's old, but a lot of people have them (including me and I think Tim W), for a time it was the most popular videocard on the market, so tons of people still have them, and cutting them out cuts out a big portion of your audience.

Part of the reason I originally got into playing independent games is because the modern mainstream ones don't work on my computer. Even Psychonauts doesn't work on my videocard, which I found out after buying it Sad

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic