Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 04:12:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEki Apocalypse and Operation: Bear Drop
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Eki Apocalypse and Operation: Bear Drop  (Read 1926 times)
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:32:18 PM »

Hi people, here's two games I've finished and would love to get some criticism on. These are my first two finished Game Maker games (although I've had a few other projects I've abandoned). Let me know what you think! Both of them are posted up on yoyogames and are entirely mouse-controlled, so keep your hands off the keyboard.

The first one is Eki Apocalypse. It's a casual-esque game of indirect violence. Scare the nice people into oncoming trains! Drop a few in front of the same train and you'll get a combo bonus. I've gotten a couple of people addicted to this one, so I think it turned out pretty well. Things can always be better, of course, so give me your thoughts.

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/54518

The second one is Operation: Bear Drop. I don't think it has the lasting appeal of Eki Apocalypse, but it should be good for a laugh. Let me know what you think!

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/64257

Thanks in advance!
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:35:40 PM »

I personally like Bear Drop more. It feels like a proper arcade game, and nothing is better than throwing bears at zeppelins.

Both are good, though!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:32:36 PM »

Bear Drop is surprisingly compelling. Made it to the third boss before succumbing to my lack of bullet hell skills. Fun game! Only issue is that I'd recommend a "click to start" screen or overlay for each wave, since it's easy to get disoriented and hit a wall since your mouse isn't likely to be over your new position.

Eki Apocalypse is a decent idea, but the balance is skewed to being too easy in the early game and just alternating between defending each exit in the late game. I'd also like to see some kind of indicator as to what the next trap is so I can plan ahead a bit. 4180 on my second try.

pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:39:32 AM »

Hey, this forum is great! Thanks for the feedback, guys!
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 01:28:28 AM »

I really liked Eki Apocalypse.

Scaring the little people away with crazy monkeys or... sick people (?) was really fun.
porousnapkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »

Bear drop is a blast. I loved the idea of both games, but I liked the execution of bear drop a lot more. I think it should ramp up in difficulty faster, or the player should have less health. I felt like I got really far before I even died and was then surprised how forgiving death was. I really liked the control scheme, though, which surprised me because initially I thought it would be difficult.

Saw what I think is a bug once in bear drop where I got stuck on a corner and had to waggle my mouse around before I got unstuck. Can be a death trap.

Eki Apocalypse is really funny but gets pretty frustrating towards the end when more guys are on the screen. I'll just say my experience was the same as Noybs.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 03:28:31 AM »

Yeah, I kind of chickened out on the difficulty in Bear Drop (too many lives), and I agree with you guys about the beginning of Eki. I think what I should have done is scale the rate of spawning based on points instead of time, so people who were better at the game could get to the more difficult stuff faster.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic