Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:06:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Toaster X: Learn Japanese RPG: Devlog 99: Resource Management
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Super Toaster X: Learn Japanese RPG: Devlog 99: Resource Management  (Read 78314 times)
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 06:42:02 AM »

@oodavid:  Evil Poor bread boy.

Day 7th: (might not be able to post tomorrow).
Yay! Already one week in development! Go Super Toaster Guy, go! Plenty of progress already. Beer!

Still looking for a programmer. If you know someone, tell your friends. If you’re interested, remember to PM me your fees so that I can adjust my KS accordingly.

Graphic wise, here’s what I got:

First attempt at a health bar.

Then I thought, since the health pick-ups are batteries, I should make this coherent with the health bar! So I did this instead, which I think looks much better. I’m very happy as to how it turned out and how it’s related to the game.

Finally, the big battery, which will fill up a lot more health than the small one (but less common to find):

Canned Turkey
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »

Too cliché. I want something more original. Too bad because I liked the coin animation.

You could make the money butter cubes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:57:57 AM by Canned Turkey » Logged
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »

I didn't read everything because I'm an asshole. BUT.

this game needs a butter level (acts like ice in other games)
a jam level (slimy)
a peanut butter level (sticky?)
and a sandwich level (sandwichy)

if not levels, these need to be mechanics.

also it needs cheese

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 10:50:05 AM »

Day 7th (cont.):

Hello guys!
It’s currently a quarter to nine in the morning in Quebec as I’m writing STG daily update (well, more than daily in this case Cheesy).

First things first.

I create a little “support” tag:

I will be adding the names of people who provided their support to the game through their ideas/feedback/criticism. It’s *very* useful for me so I thought I’d make the thing official. As mentioned before, this will be added to the game’s credit at the end. If you’d rather not have your name there, let me know and I’ll remove it.

I created the main (uncharged) projectile. It’s a little bullet of electricity, crackling with energy (keep in mind that although stationary here, it’ll be moving in game of course).

I ended really liking the butter cube for a currency so I took it! Thanks Canned Turkey! I tried 4 different versions of the thing before settling for number 3:

@alvarop:
I’m not sure where cheese would fit in but maybe in the kitchen level.

Now that I’ve already selected butter as a currency, I don’t think it would make sense to use it as something slippery on the ground (although it’s a good idea).

I like the sandwich idea, so I’ll keep it on the back burner. I wouldn’t want to implement it as a level though. I need to find a way to use it in a different way. Status effect? Extra armor? Don’t know yet.

I also like jam and peanut better concepts. I’d like to translate those as abilities for the main character.
Thanks for your input.

I’ve also decided to call the main character “Pan”. It’s bread in Japanese. I thought of “pain” (that’s in French) first but people would confuse it for the English meaning. I like “Pan”. It’s short and representative here. I won’t be going all japanesingly though, just the name.

I’ve also done the lives left for the HUD. Each slice of bread is basically one life:

Finally, I’ve started getting offers through PM for contributors to the game so this had me starting to draw a little bit for the Kickstarter (‘cause those things cost money). I just had some inspiration this morning. You get the idea:

Aaaaaannnnd… that’s it for today  Coffee.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 12:00:56 PM »

Look'n good.  Hand Point Right
I like how your designing and planning stuff before just charging ahead into development.
May I suggest the projectiles be a tad bigger? I can imagine that at that size it would be kinda hard to see them on screen.
teefal
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »

Loving this dev log.  (My first)

Has me thinking of the toast song:

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 08:04:15 PM »

Haha! This sounds fantastic!

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 05:42:08 AM »

Day 8th:

@Leo J:
 Gentleman Hand Metal Left

@Canned Turkey :
I’ll look into the size of the bullet a bit later, once everything else is in place. We’ll see how it looks in game anyway. Thanks!

I’ve been working on enemies concepts, drawing sketches and so on. Nothing I feel comfortable showing (I’m not satisfied with the sketches).

I’ve done the “taking damage” animation:

I’ve finally updated the support “board”. This will be added to the first post of the thread too:

I’ve done the death animation. I’m hesitating between version 1 and version 2.
V.1:

V.2:

There's a bug right now. Normally, the second version should be without the soul leaving the body. Don't know why it's not displaying properly.  WTF

(the death anim' took a while).

In other news I'm still looking for a programmer.  Cry Wink

Annnnnnd that's it for today. See you tomorrow!  Gentleman

Trev
Level 0

"beeeep" - a synth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »

Hurray support team!!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

And his death animation is amazing! Maybe some crumbs could fall out too!

These web letters will take your internet hole to my ear-paintings!! http://www.trevorblackmusic.com/
nachobeard
Level 0

a beard made of nachos

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 05:10:20 PM »

lovely animations!!!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2015, 05:40:10 PM »

Day 9th:

@Nachobeard & Trev:  Coffee Gentleman

Hello fellow Toasters.

I’ve been thinking a lot about level design these days. I’m slowly getting closer to designing the actual design of the level. I need to identify everything I’ll need in order to do so. Some sketches:

Toilet Guy’s stage will be filled with pipes and water. Since water is going to be harmful for Pan (the toaster), this offers a fertile ground for all sorts of hazards. Also, bubbles to jump on.

One of the “sort of” official enemy is the “Pyranax”, a mechanical fish which jumps out of the water to grab a bite of Pan. The sketch is done but you’ll need to be patient until the pixel is.

I’m also pondering as to what Toilet Guy’s pattern could be. I’ve never had to think about that sort of thing before, so it’s a nice challenge.

I also had a go at the design for Toilet Guy, it’s still wip though but to give you an idea:

The weapon you acquire by beating Toilet Guy is the turdpeedo. It’s also a weapon Toilet guy will be using as part of his pattern:

As a weapon you can use, it will be your slow and costly (albeit powerful) weapon.

Kickstarter: (trying to put this in bold as I realize this doesn't interest everyone).
I’m also starting to count how much a musical score is going to cost me (I want exclusive rights). It’s ramping up pretty fast and it’s something I need to take into consideration for the Kickstarter.

What I find particularly difficult is setting up a basic price for the game. On one end you don’t want to ask too little and look cheap and on the other end you don’t want to charge too much and be hacked to death (and rip people off).

It’s still very early too think about that but I need to take this into consideration to cover my future expenses, plan ahead if you will.

I’m also interested in what you would have in mind for the stages of the game.

For instance, one of the stage is: Bathroom: Toilet guy.

What I’m basically looking for are parts of a house with related boss.

For example:
Kitchen: Blender Guy
Garden: Lawnmower guy
Etc…

It can be anything like a bedroom, a living room, the computer room (office)…

I’d like for people to pitch in about this. I’ll eventually be picking my robots roster, I’d like to be eight in total.

Gameplay change. I changed the function of butter. Instead of being a currency, it will fill up your butter meter. Butter is spent to use special weapons. In Mega Man, you would select your special weapon and they would each have their own supply. In STG, you have only one supply of liquid butter and using any of the 8 special weapons will deplete that supply, to give you an idea:
(look at the animation of the liquid, didn't take me long to do but I think it's a nice touch  Kiss).

Now you might be wondering, won’t that mean that you`ll always run out of butter? Nope. Part of your butter will regenerate over time (much like mana in most rpg games). Not all of it though, but part of it.
I find that using butter as part of this mechanic is much better than my other idea.

Aaaaaaannnnd, that’s it! I’m glad of today’s progress.

I'm still looking for a programmer and I'm starting to think this might turn out to be more problematic than I had planned. So if you're interested, PM me! I don't bite and I'm open to negociation.  Giggle

Trev
Level 0

"beeeep" - a synth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 12:43:29 PM »

Looking good!
I sort of pictured toiled guy's mouth just being a flapping seat, but I love his eyepatch!
Maybe the turdpedo has a deadly blast radius, and then another larger radius that stuns enemies with the smell.

Other stages/enemies, maybe:
Master Bedroom: book-light, heat blanket, alarm clock, back massager?
Kid Bedroom: any number of robot toys/remote control cars/dolls
Living Room: remote control, TV, vacuum/dust buster, radio
Work Out Room: treadmill (could be cool for platforming/running), ...shake weight?
Garage: power tools
Patio: awning robot?
Tree House: bugs?
Attic: fishing poles or old toys?

The kitchen seems to have so many potential enemies, maybe it should be more than one stage?
Electric can opener, food processor, rice cooker, bread machine, microwave, crock pot, REFRIGERATOR GOD. Shocked

Maybe the final boss is the actual house's security system.

These web letters will take your internet hole to my ear-paintings!! http://www.trevorblackmusic.com/
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2015, 12:46:31 PM »

Day 10th

@Trev: thanks for the suggestion Trev. Toilet Guy will have a flapping seat for sure, the perspective is all wrong at the moment, it's still very wip  Giggle.

Hello!

So I had had a few comments about the running animation and come to think of it, it did sort of suck. Considering it’s such an important animation since we’ll see it so often, I decided to work on this today.

So I redid part of the thing and got something which looks like STG is running. This had been bothering me for a while so I’m glad that’s done.

Another comment I had gotten was how the idle animation was too static (which is true). So I gave this one a go as well.
Being critic of your own work is just so important to progress, in my opinion.

Annnnnnnd that’ it. That might not look like much but that idle stance is 28 frames so it took a while to do.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »

Oh man all your little animations are so cute and full of character, I love it.
Pezomi
Level 0

swag swag swag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 01:48:16 PM »

The new animations look great! It actually looks like he's running now haha. If butter isn't currency does that mean you're looking for something else to be currency now? or  ditching the idea of collecting currency?

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »

So it's progress but it's not quite there yet, something missing still... but it's better, it's better.

@Canned Turkey: thanks, I'm having a blast making them that's for sure. The idle one I kept adding frames and I had to force myself to stop.  Cheesy

@Pezomi: I'm not sure. Upgrading is something fun but I'm wondering if grabbing a currency and spending it is the most fun way to go at this. I know I don't want a level up system (although it would probably be the most popular choice). I'm thinking of either hiding upgrades or using a currency. How fun is having a currency, not sure. Also, it can lead to "cheating", having people grind for money right at the beginning and that would take away the challenge of the game (although there would be ways to circumvent that). So that's a good question which I'll need to think about some more.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 07:24:40 AM »

Day 11th:

Today I’d like to go back on some suggestions made by Trevor. I was a bit curt in my previous reply BUT I wanted some time to think about it.

The Attic is a great idea for a stage. I would picture this stage to be sort of the “spooky” stage. You know, the “undead” theme stage with undead robots and things like this. It would give me the opportunity to design a great necromancer/undead kind of boss robot and that’s awesome, so I’ll keep that stage.

Tree house & patio: I think the tree house can fit in the backyard stage, could be part of it. Bugs is a good idea, mechanical ones. This will be the outdoor stage, I’ll keep that one.

Workout room: I’d like to include the treadmill idea. I find that the content of this room would be very limited however, I mean, I don’t have much inspiration regarding the actual content. Treadmill idea I keep though.

Garage: awesome idea. Plenty of machines there. This will be the clockwork-theme stage. Circular Saw Guy for a boss is very tempting here. Keeping that stage.

The kitchen: definitely a keeper for its wide assortment of appliances. I don’t see how I could split it in two stages though so I’ll keep it as a single stage. Another stage added.

Bedroom: I’d rather have both type of bedrooms in the same stage. So the bedroom will be a stage for sure, only not two stages.
So, so far I have:

1. Backyard: (?)
2. Attic” (?)
3. Garage: Round Saw Guy (?)
4. Bathroom: Toilet Guy
5. Bedroom: (?)

I’m missing two more stages.

Possible stages :
Office: I’d like a stage heavily influenced with computers. Printers, computers, laptops, mouse, phones, etc… This will be the office.

Living Room: I’m having trouble finding things unique to the living room which is why I’m hesitant.

Reading Room: An oversized library of some kind. Again, finding machines for this stage is difficult.

Basement: Too similar to the attic or garage. Would make a nice spooky stage but it’s that or the attic.

Cold room: an ice related stage? Not convinced…

Game Room: A place where you can play all sorts of games. Pool, video games, etc…

Music Room: Room with musical instruments? Some potential here.

Dining room: A stage which takes place on a huge table, dodging cutlery and exploring an environment with food.

Right now, I’m tempted by:

Dining Room & Music Room for stages 7 & 8. What do you guys think?

Day 11th
Today I’d like to go back on some suggestions made by Trevor. I was a bit curt in my previous reply BUT I wanted some time to think about it.
The Attic is a great idea for a stage. I would picture this stage to be sort of the “spooky” stage. You know, the “undead” theme stage with undead robots and things like this. It would give me the opportunity to design a great necromancer/undead kind of boss robot and that’s awesome, so I’ll keep that stage.
Tree house & patio: I think the tree house can fit in the backyard stage, could be part of it. Bugs is a good idea, mechanical ones. This will be the outdoor stage, I’ll keep that one.
Workout room: I’d like to include the treadmill idea. I find that the content of this room would be very limited however, I mean, I don’t have much inspiration regarding the actual content. Treadmill idea I keep though.
Garage: awesome idea. Plenty of machines there. This will be the clockwork-theme stage. Circular Saw Guy for a boss is very tempting here. Keeping that stage.
The kitchen: definitely a keeper for its wide assortment of appliances. I don’t see how I could split it in two stages though so I’ll keep it as a single stage. Another stage added.
Bedroom: I’d rather have both type of bedrooms in the same stage. So the bedroom will be a stage for sure, only not two stages.
So, so far I have:
1. Backyard: (?)
2. Attic” (?)
3. Garage: Round Saw Guy (?)
4. Bathroom: Toilet Guy
5. Bedroom: (?)
I have a few ideas of my own.
6. Office: I’d like a stage heavily influenced with computers. Printers, computers, laptops, mouse, phones, etc… This will be the office.
I’m missing two more stages.
Possible stage :
Living Room: I’m having trouble finding things unique to the living room which is why I’m hesitant.
Reading Room: An oversized library of some kind. Again, finding machines for this stage is difficult.
Basement: Too similar to the attic or garage. Would make a nice spooky stage but it’s that or the attic.
Cold room: an ice related stage? Not convinced…
Game Room: A place where you can play all sorts of games. Pool, video games, etc…
Music Room: Room with musical instruments? Some potential here.
Dining room: A stage which takes place on a huge table, dodging cutlery and exploring an environment with food.
Right now, I’m tempted by:
Dining Room & Music Room for stages 7 & 8. What do you guys think?
For those of you who are wondering why there’s no art in this blog, I’m investing time in finding a programmer at the moment. Those are hard to come by for sure. I hope I’ll find someone soon.

Kickstarter:
I’m getting closer to figuring out how much I’ll be asking for the Kickstarter. This is something really important for this project. I need this to fund the music for the game, pay for the software and pay the composer and programmer for their work as well as keep a budget for advertisement. I find that including money for hardware is something I am not comfortable here (not to mention that it isn’t necessary).

It’s a fine thing to balance and something which worries me. I teamed up with someone before in a Kickstarter and it failed quite badly (although I wasn’t in charge of it).

I’m trying to study successful KS in order to determine how to best go at this. It’s also something delicate to discuss, everyone want to milk that cow (so to speak) and it can get annoying to be over exposed to Kickstarter ads.

In my opinion, Shovel Knight has a perfect KS campaign (or close to it). There so much to learn here.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:39:28 AM by Zizka » Logged

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 07:28:23 AM »

i love the new animations for the protagonist, so much personality  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley
Donutttt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »

I like the main character... I hope you can make it into an awesome game. I hope to see more.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »

I like the design for your toilet dude but I think it might work better if he was much larger than the protagonist.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic