Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:11:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPhantasm RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Phantasm RPG  (Read 3588 times)
UncleJoe
Level 0

You don't like this guy, but you're not sure why.

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2009, 03:54:09 PM »

So, Where to begin?

Phantasm is an Idea I've been building upon for a fair bit of time now. The idea is to tell this incredibly dark, oppressive, depressing story of loss and betrayal while filtering it through an obnoxiously cartoony world. The game would take players to a variety of locales, each featuring different art styles.

Phantasm will feature duel screens, similar to how it would look if it was running on DS hardware, though almost no attempt would be made to integrate any touch screen functionality. The two screens are there simply to reduce clutter and provide easy menu access.

Battles will feature something I'd like to call the ENCOUNTERMELODY!
When attacking as Bob (our protagonist here) the game will prompt you to enter a series of button presses with relation to the background music, basically having you play along. The better you play, the more effective the attack. There will also be a decent number of party members to assist Bob over the course of the game. You're only allowed to have one out at a time and they can not use the Encountermelody system. However, they do each possess unique skill sets, something Bob lacks. He is entirely reliant upon them for almost anything outside of regular attacks.

Right now though, before any real production begins, I'd like to get an informational Wiki set up to better organize my ideas/provide easy access for developers. If there's anyone who'd be willing to help me out with that, it'd be much appreciated, as it would help things run much more smoothly.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:59:22 PM by Killerraven » Logged

Neither Epic, Rad, Nor Awesome.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 04:09:33 PM »

Finally you posted about the project. Smiley

I still think the idea of a music-driven battle system in an RPG is pretty damn sweet. I'D PLAY IT.

Can't wait until you have some more to show.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 04:44:35 PM »

Finally you posted about the project. Smiley

I still think the idea of a music-driven battle system in an RPG is pretty damn sweet. I'D PLAY IT.

Can't wait until you have some more to show.

Mother 3 has the same system, actually, just with one button. It is how you deal combos.
UncleJoe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 05:05:51 PM »

It should be evident that this game is slightly influenced by the mother series based on that concept image I posted.  Wink

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:11:37 PM »

Ah, I didn't know that. Regardless, I like the concept! Should be fun.

Cheesus
Level 0

sup.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »

Anything Earthbound influenced is fine by me. Even though their gameplay was ho-hum Dragon Warrior knockoff quality, the first two Mother games I played had such great atmosphere, story, and dialogue. I still haven't gotten around to playing Mother 3 extensively for some reason. Sad

Ah, anyway... It's nice to see Indie RPGs being developed, since they seem to receive some hate in these parts. Keep up the awesome.
UncleJoe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »

Thank you, and I should mention that the battles will be a little more involving than they were in the Mother games. I use the word influenced for a reason!  Smiley

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 05:52:58 PM »

Thank you, and I should mention that the battles will be a little more involving than they were in the Mother games. I use the word influenced for a reason!  Smiley

Nice! Yeah, because in M3, you only pressed one key. And, I can see the inspiration from the ghost, too.

But, this game looks fantastic regardless. I lie the idea of filtering depressing story through cutesy graphics. Great idea!

(Nice avatar too, but overused!)
UncleJoe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 06:09:36 PM »

Ha ha, well I'm glad you like the looks of it so far (Despite how little I've talked about it). And yeah, I started using this avatar before I realized how much it's been abused, and I've grown attached to it over the years.

SteveXT
Level 0

Raging OCD Machine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 03:37:57 PM »

Aww man, I thought this was a thread about a game based on the 90s horror flicks Phantasm.  They were so hilariously good!

Interesting concept though.

http://gamerdx.blogspot.com
         -SteveXT-
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic