Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1401670 Posts in 67939 Topics- by 61482 Members - Latest Member: Domais

July 05, 2022, 07:14:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLive on Steam - http://QuantumPilot.me -- Kill your Past Lives
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Live on Steam - http://QuantumPilot.me -- Kill your Past Lives  (Read 11875 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2017, 07:03:22 AM »

I re-read the nw.js distribution guide and automated my build creation.

Builds uploaded to http://QuantumPilot.me  Cool

mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2017, 08:02:27 AM »

And now it works!!
Well done.

Very nicely polished since last time I say it.
And as intriguing as usual. Such a cool concept, really.
Sound and graphics progressed as well.
Sound is just amazing, graphics is adequate, and each is so much fitting!

As a minor note: I already said it and I know you the author don't agree, but I feel like would enjoy it even more if winning was a matter of devising a smart strategy (and patching it quickly with improvised plan Bs), and managing to accurately align on the X axis (aka aiming) didn't get in the way. The aiming task is just mechanical, boring, and (when it fails) frustrating; I find I don't enjoy when I menage, and I don't enjoy when I don't. It's just not a fun mechanic, in my opinion. Failing one shot in the first few rounds compromises the game, yet I don't feel challenged because I'm too aware that this task would be automatically won with trivial visual aids.

In other words: how would the gameplay be, if players always exactly knew where their shots are going to land? I don't think it would be any less interesting or trivial.

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »

Glad it's working!
Thanks for the positive feedback!

What are you suggesting, mechanically?

If you are trying precision-aiming and missing, hm, yeah that's pretty hard. I shoot in short bursts while moving horizontally (covers a larger space).

"The aiming task" is positional, and it's your Y position that matters too, not just X. Since being closer to the enemy means your shot reaches further faster. Being forced to dodge enemy bullets impacts your aiming. This is a core part of the game.

If you are thinking the ship should have an indication "your shot will hit".. then should it also have an autofire? Or should you play it frame-by-frame? Because it might be you move into a position where you can, only for a frame or two, be able to hit if you fired there (without moving). Impossible to react to.

I disagree with "failing one shot in the first few rounds compromises the game".. I shoot dozens of bullets each round, and there are only max 7 clones in the first game.

If all you had to do was line up your shot in the X position and press fire, which is maybe what you are suggesting? -- you are saying bullet should move very fast or instant.

I have tried faster bullets and when clones shoot very fast it's very frustrating - you can't react, can't dodge them.

^my responses to what I think you're suggesting; but I could have misunderstood you.

mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »

If you are trying precision-aiming and missing, hm, yeah that's pretty hard.

ahah you're right; the fact is that the core mechanism at the base of this game offers so many drastically different strategies to the players, that it feels like we are speaking of different games. Which is so cool by the way.

So, here's what I meant. Among my favorite strategies, one is to try to be the easiest opponent for later stages (especially at the beginning). So I would keep afar, align, stay still doing nothing, and then fire a single fatal bullet as late as I can. Basically I try to be the least aggressive opponent, and the most sitting-duck target, for later. I try to keep doing so in subsequent stages, but clearly it is more and more difficult. When I have to move and dodge the occasional bullet, I try to immediately move back to my previous position as soon as the bullet is past, so that my future reincarnations will not effectively dodge of _my_ bullets later on. Only at in the final round, I go full rampage and "happy trigger" against my less energetic, but more numerous, past-selves: long swipes, ample evasive maneuvers, etc.

In this strategy, what fails most often is that the few, delayed precision bullets I fire at the beginning can fail to meet their target, often only by a few pixels; then the game is immediately over, because I'm out of time to try again, or, even if I do manage, the strategy is ruined because I had to move, fire twice, etc.

The point is, it is really difficult to reliably hit a target with one bullet, or a short two-bullet burst, even if the target stays completely still. The mechanism I would need is a visual clue, and can take many forms: for example, the background could be a pattern of vertical lines (or a tiny grid). I think that it could be effective even if it was so faint to be barely visible, and aesthetically non-disturbing -- as long as the background is not completely uniform as now. OR, it could be a kind of "laser sight", a line projecting out of your nose and going straight up, to see where it is that I am aiming at. These clues should probably be optional, because I understand that other playing styles do not need it.

mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »

Minor: does the "best solo onslaught" count work? Mine is stuck at 124 when I scored above 440 (reached the pale blue stage!)

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2017, 01:13:51 PM »

Ok I see what you're saying -- you're saying it's difficult to aim -- even at a stationary target -- because of the aesthetic (and ships are skinny).

I thought about doing a grid bg -- tried it in Combo Rockets too -- but found it too distracting. Sorry but I'm going to stick with the empty space here.

So, here's what I meant. Among my favorite strategies, one is to try to be the easiest opponent for later stages (especially at the beginning). So I would keep afar, align, stay still doing nothing, and then fire a single fatal bullet as late as I can. Basically I try to be the least aggressive opponent, and the most sitting-duck target, for later. I try to keep doing so in subsequent stages, but clearly it is more and more difficult. When I have to move and dodge the occasional bullet, I try to immediately move back to my previous position as soon as the bullet is past, so that my future reincarnations will not effectively dodge of _my_ bullets later on. Only at in the final round, I go full rampage and "happy trigger" against my less energetic, but more numerous, past-selves: long swipes, ample evasive maneuvers, etc.

In this strategy, what fails most often is that the few, delayed precision bullets I fire at the beginning can fail to meet their target, often only by a few pixels; then the game is immediately over, because I'm out of time to try again, or, even if I do manage, the strategy is ruined because I had to move, fire twice, etc.

Well, I like that emergent property (As described in an earlier post). It's very difficult to play that way. If you do, yes it makes dodging the easiest. But it's difficulty means that you probably have to sacrifice accuracy for speed and I like that.

Maybe the game would be easier to aim horizontally? I'm considering making mobile ports horizontal focused.

I recommend trying to shoot a tracer bullet - 1 bullet - then adjusting left or right if it missed your stationary target.

If your target moves, however, well, that's your clone dodging Smiley

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »

Minor: does the "best solo onslaught" count work? Mine is stuck at 124 when I scored above 440 (reached the pale blue stage!)

Sick score!

It.. should. So you died from the deadline, 440 showed up, and your highscore didn't update? Sad

I'll check on that..

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2017, 01:33:17 PM »

Hey mtarini.. can you do a fresh download of the Windows version, and see if there are highscores pre-set?

Because I'm seeing them on the Mac version -_-

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »

Sick score!

It.. should. So you died from the deadline, 440 showed up, and your highscore didn't update? Sad

I'll check on that..

Hey.. try reloading the game. I just played, saved highscore, quit to title, score wasn't there. Quit + restart, new high score was there. Oops! I will fix this, thank you for testing!

I will reset the highscores before builds too.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2017, 02:15:40 PM »

Highscores reset.
New build on http://QuantumPilot.me loads highscores each time the title screen loads, so playing and setting a highscore then quitting to Title you will see your new high score.

Added a Quit option to menu + a thank you message from me Smiley

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2017, 04:18:17 AM »

There's a bug in Coop! Getting hit too many times can show 0 clones.

I fixed this morning. Will upload build soon.

There's another minor bug on the menu where 2 controllers in you can hold X to toggle sound or music repeatedly instead of press once to toggle. I'll fix that too.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2017, 03:35:20 PM »

Someone bought Quantum Pilot! Thank you, whoever you are, for your support!

Update: Coop mode removing clones will not remove if there are only 2 left.

New build up on http://QuantumPilot.me .

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2017, 08:28:53 PM »

Updates:

* In coop, a player getting killed with the 2nd weapon (that paints bullets on screen with a delay before they move) had their bullets stay stationary. Fixed so they move forward, just like clone bullets do when the clone is killed

* Hold start or ESC to quit and show "Quitting" text to prevent accidental quitting

* Submit highscore when quitting game

* Hide ships when paused to de-clutter and mitigate pause-scumming. Moved pause screen down halfway between score display + www.QuantumPilot.me at the bottom.

* Fixed toggle sound or music spam in title - holding X on controller no longer toggle super fast.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2017, 06:33:51 PM »

Versus mode is in!

www.QuantumPilot.me

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »

I'm trying to follow the Steam instructions. Their video is outdated for the current website + CLI tools.

I got past one error and ran into another one.

I'm awaiting Steam support or forum sopport to hear back on why my build isn't uploading.

Meanwhile, I submitted www.QuantumPilot.me to the IGF 2017.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »

Steam support response time is  Shrug

I figured out the problem, it was a  No No NO mismatch of their instructions with actual SDK download.. plus on mac instead of windows.

Next problem: 0 bytes were being uploaded to Steam.

Fortunately developer forum on Steam someone helped out and I successfully uploaded Mac & Windows builds today!

So next steps are:

* Implement Achievements
* Test Achievements
* Upload Linux, Mac, Window builds
* Store hygeine: screenshots, logos
* Release on Steam

I may be starting a new contract gig next week; I'm hoping to get most of this done this week.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2017, 05:35:31 PM »

I'm able to download & play Quantum Pilot in my Steam client!

Achievements are.. well, according to the docs they should be working but I get an error when it runs. So that's WIP.

A new bug came up due to nw.js compatibility.. working on it so players don't see an annoying message each time they play - but it might just be my machine because I don't know where the cache is. Obvious folder deletes didn't help.

WIP Smiley

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2017, 10:43:25 AM »

Profile warning is due to a newer version of nw.js being used - easy fix for me is delete the game's local data and it's fine, so fortunately this won't affect players.

I fixed a bug where pressing Start in Duel mode could cause the game to be paused without showing a pause text after the Duel intro finished.

Found a glitch where the main title color changed if you quit out from the last weapon installed. I turned this into a feature so if you get to the second level then quit (or lose and quit), the title screen will have the pink text. A cool reminder of "hey, you made it further".

The bottom URL text also changes color after you advance levels and remains when the game resets (this has been in for a while) - so you have a reminder after you lose that "yeah, you made it this far!"

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2017, 05:41:24 PM »

Achievements! 24 total.

6 weapons * 2 solo & coop * 2 difficulty modes - each one is for beating that phase flawlessly (take no hits).

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2017, 08:12:52 AM »

New Trailer:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic