Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:02:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesCottage... OF DOOM! [finished]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Cottage... OF DOOM! [finished]  (Read 103270 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 12:16:04 AM »

I am getting an error message:
"CLR error: 8004005.
The program will now terminate"

I installed it to program files twice.

How are you trying to run the game? I've looked up this error on the web and some people are getting it when trying to run software in compatibility mode for windows 98. Try installing it and running from the directory it installed to instead of using the shortcuts (or removing all checked compatibility mode options from the shortcuts), see if that works. You could also try reinstalling the .net 2.0 framework.

I was really looking foward to playing it but...

1. Setup? I don't really like setup files. A zipped folder with an EXE would be optimal, in my opinion. School computers don't like people installing things on them.

So I went home and downloaded it (that's how eager I was to play it..) and installed it. During installation

2. It asked me to download .NET 2. So I downloaded .NET 2.

Then

3. it said I don't have Windows Installer.

So I can't play it.  Angry pity, 'cos it looks really neat.

Hey there duder,

1. I have to use a setup file because I want the installation process for the game to be easy. The game requires Microsoft's .NET framework 2.0 to run, and stipulating that in whatever download instructions and linking to it is a pain for me and a hassle for the user (not to mention error-prone). The setup file tries to download and install it when it runs, which I figured would save me a lot of hassle. So far it hasn't been so bad.

3. You can download Windows Installer from the Microsoft site here. I don't know why it wouldn't already be present, or why dotnetfx.exe requires it as it's not a .msi file. I suppose it could contain .msi files...

Hope that helps. Sorry for annoying you with a setup file, but it doesn't really do anything eldritch and takes a lot of the hassle out of installing the game for everyone Smiley

CFreq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 01:24:43 AM »

This is fun! Solid gameplay, great concept, nice sounds and graphics, good work!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »

I don't man,  I think you're going to lose... this game is too good!  :D

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 01:42:37 AM »

Haowan, with which language did you write this?

C++?

Also, the vista reader software sounds funny :D

And, this is really awesome

I got 328691.. without hiding at all.. I just got outside and went crazy, only got in to replenish ammo... So I got an outside-cottage record :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:07:31 AM by NaYoN » Logged

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007, 01:52:05 AM »

Thanks guys :D

C++?

It's written in C#, on top of a framework I've been building with the help of another dude for about a year now, which runs on top of SDL.NET. The framework used to be XNA, but I ported it to SDL.NET after having problems with XNA in terms of rolling out version and compatibility with older machines. XNA is still awesome, though, and I should have really made the game framework cross-library so that I could compile XNA versions of it.

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2007, 02:08:50 AM »

Thanks guys :D

C++?

It's written in C#, on top of a framework I've been building with the help of another dude for about a year now, which runs on top of SDL.NET. The framework used to be XNA, but I ported it to SDL.NET after having problems with XNA in terms of rolling out version and compatibility with older machines. XNA is still awesome, though, and I should have really made the game framework cross-library so that I could compile XNA versions of it.

I'm gonna take a look at the source, btw, as I edited in to my previous post,

I got 328691.. without hiding at all.. I just got outside and went crazy, only got in to replenish ammo... So I got an outside-cottage record :D

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2007, 02:15:23 AM »

I should have a second high score table to track survival time, as I think that's a pretty good challenge.

The framework source (wuwei) isn't too bad although some of it is a bit hasty and uncommented (and some of the editor code is shocking). The COD game code is all rushed and hacky as you can probably guess :D

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2007, 10:09:08 AM »

Woo! I made it to "dude!"

Hello forum, btw - hopefully I'll remember that I registered here and post some constructive shit!  Grin

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2007, 10:20:55 AM »

I should have a second high score table to track survival time, as I think that's a pretty good challenge.

The framework source (wuwei) isn't too bad although some of it is a bit hasty and uncommented (and some of the editor code is shocking). The COD game code is all rushed and hacky as you can probably guess :D

is it catrpg at sourceforge? if not, can you give me a link please?

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2007, 10:34:35 AM »

Yep, http://sourceforge.net/projects/catrpg

Movius
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2007, 10:56:02 AM »

I approve of this game, particularly the part about killing the zombies.

The intro is pretty rad too.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2007, 11:01:36 AM »

Either this or gunlimb wins in my opinion. More like this, because there's more work put into this, it seems.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2007, 01:00:37 PM »

Oh my god Haowan. This is excellent! SO DAMN EXCELLENT.
Also,

Beat that, bitches!

The late game is INSANE, when there are ten times more zombies then there are bullets, and most of the zeds just stand in the house, so getting ammo once they break through your cades is tough as shit.

GOOD JOB MAN. This has gotten a permanent place on my hard-drive, sho' nuff!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2007, 01:02:23 PM »

Oh my god Haowan. This is excellent! SO DAMN EXCELLENT.
Also,

Beat that, bitches!

The late game is INSANE, when there are ten times more zombies then there are bullets, and most of the zeds just stand in the house, so getting ammo once they break through your cades is tough as shit.

GOOD JOB MAN. This has gotten a permanent place on my hard-drive, sho' nuff!

Try to do a "don't hide in the cottage, go outside and fight them" record like me! The rule is that you can only go into the house when you have 0 ammo, and whil inside, you cannot kill any zombies!

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2007, 03:30:29 PM »

I feel so embarassed about my score now! Embarrassed
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2007, 03:35:53 PM »

Hehe, you guys don't wanna see my high score!

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2007, 03:42:40 PM »

Woo! I made it to "dude!"

Hello forum, btw - hopefully I'll remember that I registered here and post some constructive shit!  Grin

Woohoo! This guy is solid. CONCRETE

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2007, 06:40:45 PM »

This game rocks!!! My high score sucks though...7500...meh, it looks like I need to kill some more Zombies...lol...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »

Goddamn. I was trying to make my own level, but without a map editor ground tiles are a total bitch. Cry
Attached are my notes. Pretty much a list of every object you can have. If anyone wants to make their own maps simply gotta open the XML in resources\levels\.

Er, wait, you don't mind this being posted, do you, Haowan?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2007, 12:26:38 AM »

Not at all, though you will run into the problem that the only things on the tile map are wooden floor and grass. The walls are all entities, and adding them onto another map layer won't do anything for the gameplay.

I CAN, however, supply a build with the map editor and animation editor built in. I'll do it once I get to work. Don't expect a great user interface Wink the sprite editing is HORRENDOUS.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic