Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 04:20:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChickenSword
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: ChickenSword  (Read 40276 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2015, 07:45:57 AM »

Will it be acidic rain that eats holes in rusty metal buildings?
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »

Will it be acidic rain that eats holes in rusty metal buildings?

If that were the case, there'd be no buildings left by the time Bawkins gets out of the lab.

jay43k
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »

AIR COMBOS?

Physics are fun.

Stage one of getting things to mesh up perfectly for air combos is complete. The next step will be to add some effects and timed freezes to emphasize the sheer awesomeness of your air combo. Considering a counter, but that's not really the type of game ChickenSword is.....

oo a counter effect would be really cool on projectiles, might be too good for any type of attack.  Either a reflection or standard animation would both be nice.

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2015, 12:27:36 AM »

Ability Synchronizing

A lot of my physics are guess and check based.

When designing combat, my main goal was for players, regardless of which abilities they unlock, would be able to implement them into their combos. For instance, in the pictured gif, you can use dash to catch up to the airslash juggle. There will likely be simpler combos, but this was the one that made me tingle a little bit.

Abilities will be categorized as charged abilities (hold attack) and secondary abilities (alt button push). I originally experimented with double-tap, but given modern control mechanisms there really isn't a solid reason to not just map everything to a button. You can have active one charge attack and one secondary ability at once, despite there being a wide multitude of abilities to choose from.

Good day.

AxezDNyde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2015, 04:59:16 AM »

Have you thought about putting in some air-fight-hang-momentum ( for lack of a better word ) like in LoK:Defiance or Devil May Cry without overshooting it as the latter? You know, ... just a little freeze in mid-air when you hit stuff

Axez, Grant Ed.
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2015, 05:04:44 AM »

Hah damn this is cool, really love the logo by the way!

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2015, 06:51:53 AM »

Have you thought about putting in some air-fight-hang-momentum ( for lack of a better word ) like in LoK:Defiance or Devil May Cry without overshooting it as the latter? You know, ... just a little freeze in mid-air when you hit stuff

I actually started work on this already. I slow movement every hit and refresh dash for seeking.

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2015, 01:07:43 PM »

Working on tilesets that don't look like tilesets because Pixels, Huh is really good and I want to be good too :D

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2015, 02:04:41 AM »

Not Terraria

It isn't. Stop asking.

One of the most difficult challenges when you make a 2D platformer is making the aesthetic not spawn a thousand questions about if your game will have digging. I believe I have countered this by creating a deeper field of view, similar to games like Castle Crashers. While it takes a bit longer to design a foreground, I think ultimately it will be worth the effort. The real hard part will come when I have to take the same ideas and apply them to interiors.

I think ultimately this should result in a far more attractive (looking) game. You be the judge...

Also, here's a stupid comic:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2015, 02:22:42 AM »

Goddamn I love that stupid comic way more than I should
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2015, 02:53:06 AM »

Mini update!

The new depth of view adds more opportunities to make weather look effing awesome!

Your move, god.

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2015, 03:19:55 AM »

Mini update!

The new depth of view adds more opportunities to make weather look effing awesome!

Your move, god.

BY THE WAY THERE IS A NEW BUILD THAT IS JUST A VERY SIMPLE COMBAT TEST TO SEE IF YOU LIKE IT. NO FUSS! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-wbMJ32ZJSUYk5xVzdBajJzd3M/view?usp=sharing

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »

Built a simple tumblr theme to compile gifs because twitter isn't great.

http://chickensword.com

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2015, 02:40:51 PM »

Looking really great dude. I think this could do quite well if you can maintain this rate for a year or two! Smiley

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2015, 02:51:59 PM »

Looking really great dude. I think this could do quite well if you can maintain this rate for a year or two! Smiley

Hey man, it looks like that final Kickstarter bump is happening! Not to devalue the work you've undoubtedly put in marketing-wise, I expect Moonman to overshoot the goal in the next few days.

Thanks for the kind words. This has been hard because the last few months I've been 'remembering' how to draw again so I've had to redo a lot of stuff to keep it all on the same level. I should be able to get back into content soon, which is where I want to be.

TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »

You need to add a second character called bacon... Think about it.

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2015, 07:23:40 PM »

I've been watching this devlog for quite a while from the darkness and you've got something really cool going on here!
I really like launching that guy in the air and then jumping after him to kill and I like the way that in the world map you are represented by a dot ( and I didn't expect getting killed by the sky in the combat test  My Word!, smart move, I was trying to glitch it hahah )

I'm not sure if I'm just not skilled enough but the dash/attack didn't feel so easy to do, is that because of how you changed the attack frames ?
Keep up the good work sir! Coffee
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2015, 07:59:44 PM »

I've been watching this devlog for quite a while from the darkness and you've got something really cool going on here!
I really like launching that guy in the air and then jumping after him to kill and I like the way that in the world map you are represented by a dot ( and I didn't expect getting killed by the sky in the combat test  My Word!, smart move, I was trying to glitch it hahah )

I'm not sure if I'm just not skilled enough but the dash/attack didn't feel so easy to do, is that because of how you changed the attack frames ?
Keep up the good work sir! Coffee

Nothing is super easy right now, but I'm working on some ways to freeze the physics temporarily during midair combos and facilitate crazier things.

Thanks for the kind words though!

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2015, 08:06:08 PM »

if freeze = false
{
everything
}

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2015, 11:41:18 PM »

if freeze = false
{
everything
}

Feelings... Nothing more

Today was a big 'feels' day.

Thanks to constant criticism from RatCasket, I've added some camera freeze to the game when hits happen. This helps (not much) you plan your next strike in midair craziness. I'm also trying to fine tune the dang directional whacking system so you can predict what an enemy is actually going to do when you whack them directionally... I suppose my next step would be to have ever increasing sound on contact followed by Mike Tyson style star noises when you go over a threshold... because retro.

I'll be posting the same updates both here and on my website (chickensword.com) from now on, until I no longer feel like transparency helps the game (when all the updates are is spoilers).

Also, bouncy walls...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:25:00 AM by Mig (@ihatemmorpgs) » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic