Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:02:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChickenSword
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: ChickenSword  (Read 39870 times)
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 05:29:23 AM »

That's perfect! (the jumping!) Do you mind asking how you achieved that? I tried fixing the problem of perpetual single wall jumps with forced velocity in the other direction but it did not match the feel.

I have a few ways in mind of how to achieve this but in my head they all seem kind of hacky. :p

Also I love that you're putting so much effort into the polish, it really makes the difference man and I think will pay off big time. I absolutely love the character, and your logo is one of the few, especially of indie games that I really enjoy.

Not sure what polish you mean, but thanks! Basically I just limit the velocity of jumps when you're jumping while holding your cling direction. It's all hacks, but this is my first game and I drunk code A LOT. Let me know if you need more specifics, but I'm in bed atm.

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 06:35:45 AM »

That's perfect! (the jumping!) Do you mind asking how you achieved that? I tried fixing the problem of perpetual single wall jumps with forced velocity in the other direction but it did not match the feel.

I have a few ways in mind of how to achieve this but in my head they all seem kind of hacky. :p

Also I love that you're putting so much effort into the polish, it really makes the difference man and I think will pay off big time. I absolutely love the character, and your logo is one of the few, especially of indie games that I really enjoy.

Not sure what polish you mean, but thanks! Basically I just limit the velocity of jumps when you're jumping while holding your cling direction. It's all hacks, but this is my first game and I drunk code A LOT. Let me know if you need more specifics, but I'm in bed atm.

Was it imperative to have a band in the cantina at this point? :p You mentioned "fluff" earlier, which in my head I translated to polish. The areas aren't empty looking, you have nice backgrounds, good particle effects, animated UI elements, etc. I haven't seen any placeholders, etc.

In regards to the wall jump, is it tough to do in the opposite direction? For example in my game if I pressed right unless it was frame perfect the next step the player would no longer be clinging to the wall.

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »

Was it imperative to have a band in the cantina at this point? :p You mentioned "fluff" earlier, which in my head I translated to polish. The areas aren't empty looking, you have nice backgrounds, good particle effects, animated UI elements, etc. I haven't seen any placeholders, etc.

In regards to the wall jump, is it tough to do in the opposite direction? For example in my game if I pressed right unless it was frame perfect the next step the player would no longer be clinging to the wall.

Ohhhhh, yeah I lock X when colliding with walls and release it on jump.

autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 11:37:56 AM »

I like that you've introduced random encounters on the world map, as I'm still a bit of a fan of them. It could be a great way to introduce random characters, too.

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 11:57:35 AM »

I like that you've introduced random encounters on the world map, as I'm still a bit of a fan of them. It could be a great way to introduce random characters, too.

My goal is to have numerous non-combat encounters that lead you to secret areas/powers.

autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »

Hell yes. Spank that chicken. Was that weird? It was. So it goes.  Crazy

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »

voom voom voom

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 05:51:26 PM »

This is so cool, I really wanna play this game. The random encounters on the map remind me of Breath of Fire IV  Smiley
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 06:20:58 PM »

This oozes style. Great sound effects, art, and humor. I'm just curious why the controls are kb + mouse when you only use the mouse button? It would be a lot more comfortable for me to not have to use the mouse button to attack. Unless you are planning to have the mouse location mean something in the future.

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 07:09:48 PM »

This oozes style. Great sound effects, art, and humor. I'm just curious why the controls are kb + mouse when you only use the mouse button? It would be a lot more comfortable for me to not have to use the mouse button to attack. Unless you are planning to have the mouse location mean something in the future.

WASD feels more natural to me, but I also put in SOME gamepad support. Holding right click currently locks your facing, but it will be a tool in the future that could be sensitive to location (grappling hook).

Still new and obviously subject to change. thanks for the feedback

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:05 AM »

Water Levels!

Ever since Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I've wanted to torment gamers with
electric seaweed and terrible physics. I know, my bubbles are horrid.

OH THE HUMANITY!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:51:17 AM by ihatemmorpgs » Logged

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 03:06:49 AM »

I like when the chicken makes chicken noises

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »

The Cast

ChickenSword has a diverse cast of random people I talk to on Twitter.

polkm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 03:20:12 PM »

Those faces are going to make this game so funny!

autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »

Is that an orange in the upper right corner? If so you should check this out: http://www.benjaminrosenbaum.com/stories/orange.html

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »

Is that an orange in the upper right corner? If so you should check this out: http://www.benjaminrosenbaum.com/stories/orange.html

it's a chick named lil peeps

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2015, 03:46:40 AM »

Tonight I worked on my personal art-style and shifted the character portraits towards goofy. PyxelEdit is pretty rad, btw.

UPDATED TEST BUILD WITH NEW PORTRAITS. Sword got love, but I like the new player portrait the most BY FAR:

That chicken though...

polkm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 06:09:45 AM »

Nice changes, I like no-outline pixel art these days, it comes off cleaner.

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 03:01:28 AM »

Tonight I didn't do anything but create characters. I've got a bunch of them, and I'm making sure that I keep notes so that I can keep dialog consistent. Lil' Peeps is a mutant shapeshifter who pretends to be whatever he thinks you won't kill. Under notes, I wrote, "is a dick."

Lil' Peeps

Isn't he cute?

I created a simple dialog system in the beginning of the project that I made sure could import plain text. That way I can write stupid things like this from my phone when I have inspiration. My intention is to have some simple branching dialog options, but in the end the goal is for me to make dumb jokes and people are more likely to see them if I don't give them choices :D

Alike Studio
Level 0

Game Developers of Love You to Bits

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 03:21:28 AM »

Looks really promising! I love the main character. Congrats!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic