Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:52:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChickenSword
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: ChickenSword  (Read 39889 times)
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 03:32:14 PM »

This looks rad, your pixel art is tight and really inspiring. Have you been doing pixel graphics for a long time?

Hey thanks! I have been making game stuff a little over 2 months, but I used to paint 8 years ago....

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 04:11:36 PM »

That's perfect! (the jumping!) Do you mind asking how you achieved that?

Looks like input opposite of the direction of the wall jump is disabled for a short time.
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 08:01:50 PM »

That's perfect! (the jumping!) Do you mind asking how you achieved that?

Looks like input opposite of the direction of the wall jump is disabled for a short time.

Pretty close. When the chicken has the sword equipped he clings to walls which locks your x coord until you hit the ground, jump, or perform some other action that breaks your cling (damage).

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2015, 11:27:19 PM »

Traps

Today I worked on some basic trap structure in code.

I first defined a parent by which all traps inherit from. This included some basic variables, such as enabled/timers/what it wants to kill. At this point I created a basic timed laser trap that runs a timer while toggling enabled / disabled. Anything collides with the trap during its enabled state is obliterated. Pretty neat, albeit simple. I also have trigger objects that allow you to disable these traps remotely, but that doesn't make an interesting gif.

Depending on how much later I stay up, I'll be creating some low-logic turrets. I won't rest until the game is impossible to play.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:55:29 PM by ihatemmorpgs » Logged

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2015, 11:48:43 PM »

FANCY BACKGROUNDS!?

Today I saw some stuff way prettier than my game. As a notorious magpie I focused today on adding pointless polish.

I now have multi-level parallax and smooth-gradient backgrounds to distract players away from the eminent danger they face at every turn. It seems like my background draws are lagging a frame behind the player's motion. Should be an easy fix.

(EDIT: I FIXED THE LAG ISSUE AND IT WASN'T AT ALL WHAT I ASSUMED IT WAS)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:37:27 AM by Mig (@ihatemmorpgs) » Logged

vestage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2015, 12:13:36 AM »

Looks sweet  Kiss

Insignificant so far.
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2015, 01:18:16 AM »

How long have you been making it? The progress looks pretty damn sweet! Awesome work, can't wait to play it. Smiley

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2015, 01:21:55 AM »

How long have you been making it? The progress looks pretty damn sweet! Awesome work, can't wait to play it. Smiley

It's been about 2.5 months since I started "making games". I have about 8 years of professional programming experience, but no games until recently. Glad you're liking it so far! I'm having a lot of fun so far, but if I coded like this at work I'd get fired (it's ugly).

milkbox4344
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2015, 02:37:11 AM »

I love chicken!! grrrrrrr!!!!!!! Addicted
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2015, 03:50:45 AM »

Character Progression
AKA: The bane of my existence

This is why we can't have nice things.

Here's my issue. ChickenSword originally had a basic leveling system by which you gained levels against an exponential and ever-increasing experience curve. The problem with this is, it makes the content completely trivial for a game that is supposed to have twitch reaction. Also, as many things kill you instantly, it can also seem entirely pointless at times.

I've since removed the over-poweredness from the game, but I'm looking for a new way to reflect character growth (outside of special move collection). I'm considering doing this with a zelda-like money system by which you gain up to a threshold and can spend the collected earnings on a finite number of physical trait upgrades (damage/speed/jump height), or possibly pointless hats and stuff like that. My issue with these things is that I hate these types of things :D

Open to suggestions, but It's likely that I'll strip it all out in lieu of Metroidvania style collection (which sort of already exists in the game).

Current upgrades that exist already:

The Chickensword itself
Dash
Dash-Strike (SAMURAI SCHWING)
Double Jump
Air Slash (pictured above)
Poultry Breathing Apparatus (PBA)

Things that may exist in the near future:

Hookshot
Assault Rifle(pictured below)

~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2015, 04:02:45 AM »

I think a good leveling-like system could be finding stars or something. When you find a star the character can improve its stats by 1 point.
Also a chicken with a chicken hat would be awesome.
He won't chicken out the battle for sure.

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »

I think a good leveling-like system could be finding stars or something. When you find a star the character can improve its stats by 1 point.

As it stands, you gain power from downloading programs off computers in ruins. That's not too dissimilar, but stars would be odd for something of this tone.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2015, 12:00:28 PM »

look quite nice and really fills the frogsord shaped hole in my life. i request that you actually finish this game, so that i can play it  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2015, 12:39:09 PM »

look quite nice and really fills the frogsord shaped hole in my life. i request that you actually finish this game, so that i can play it  Hand Thumbs Up Left

I don't know anything about any frogs

~Tidal
Level 1

I live in Hell, with lava and stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2015, 12:55:43 PM »

As it stands, you gain power from downloading programs off computers in ruins. That's not too dissimilar, but stars would be odd for something of this tone.
Stars or whatever you like (I said stars because it was the first thing that I imagined). It was just an example, it's like a "controlled" level-up system, to avoid grinding: you decide when the player will level up, how much and how many times, essentially.
Anyway I really like the idea of the computers  Hand Thumbs Up Left
EDIT: another idea could be golden feathers, or golden eggs.

Legit like pasta al pesto in a Chinese restaurant
Runefrog
Level 0

Hear me roar~

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2015, 01:00:21 PM »

Frogsword (Frogsord?) was a really good-looking game that was bouncing around these parts for ages. The gameplay looked incredible but as far as I know the team broke up and the game is now in limbo.

I haven't played Zelda 2 so I don't know what the levelling system is like in that, but in the majority of LoZ games I've played you upgrade certain tools with rupees, but most upgrades are discovered at key points in the game.

It would be good to have a gradual skill increase but you'd have to make sure players don't linger in one location and max out before moving on, unless that's an RPG element you plan on implementing.
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »

Frogsword (Frogsord?) was a really good-looking game that was bouncing around these parts for ages. The gameplay looked incredible but as far as I know the team broke up and the game is now in limbo.

I haven't played Zelda 2 so I don't know what the levelling system is like in that, but in the majority of LoZ games I've played you upgrade certain tools with rupees, but most upgrades are discovered at key points in the game.

It would be good to have a gradual skill increase but you'd have to make sure players don't linger in one location and max out before moving on, unless that's an RPG element you plan on implementing.

Yeah, Zelda 2 was much like Mario 2 in that it was completely different than the series. I removed RPG leveling because it resulted in the game being way too easy for grinders. I'll likely make many of the zones and upgrades voluntary, since I've personally criticized the industry for avoiding "secret" content.

MAVW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »

wow, pixel art is great, it goes along well with the humor.

and puns, please don't forget to put a lot puns... I can see a lot of potential for funny Transistor references as well

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2015, 07:00:18 PM »

wow, pixel art is great, it goes along well with the humor.

and puns, please don't forget to put a lot puns... I can see a lot of potential for funny Transistor references as well

Hey thanks! I find myself redoing the art often because I'm getting better. As for jokes, the bar is called the other side, and it's across a road. I can't slap people in the face any harder!

SirSwiftSword
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2015, 11:53:25 PM »

This is amazing. I'm not sure feather to love the puns or not.They seem pretty fowl. This game though seems to be the beak of indie development.Good Luck!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic