Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:52:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChickenSword
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: ChickenSword  (Read 40180 times)
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2015, 12:03:27 AM »

This is amazing. I'm not sure feather to love the puns or not.They seem pretty fowl. This game though seems to be the beak of indie development.Good Luck!

No

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2015, 01:17:15 AM »

RANDOM ENCOUNTERS

The Cybersmith

Many points of interest in ChickenSword will be voluntary random encounters. I'm trying to model the ratios after classics like Baldur's Gate where you find yourself going looking for trouble in order to discover interesting content. The drawback of this type of design is that there will likely be more content available than many will see on their initial playthrough.

That means a lot more time creating content... which is fine. I like writing content... obviously........

That red dude is animating too quickly so it looks like he's up to something nefarious behind the cart......

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2015, 01:57:21 AM »

Aw yeh I love a chickenswors!

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2015, 01:58:08 AM »

Aw yeh I love a chickenswors!

Thern yab?

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2015, 02:01:38 AM »

That chicken is cute.

And I'm a sucker for cute things so I'm gonna follow this.
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2015, 02:02:12 AM »

I haven't posted in here yet. I am the drummer for Space Cop.

This is also the first time that I've seen the ChickenSword title/font. I love that the 'K' and 'D' make the logo shaped like a sword. That's neat.

Ok, back to trolling each other on Twitter.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2015, 04:11:56 AM »

Open to suggestions, but It's likely that I'll strip it all out in lieu of Metroidvania style collection (which sort of already exists in the game).

I like the idea of metroidvania style upgrades (as another person suggested, sprinkle the levels with collectables that boost stats). You can then balance it by adding in-game rewards for low% runs (possibly just a bonus splash screen at the ending) or a hard mode where you do not get boosts, or boosts are significantly reduced (eg, reward 2 points bonus instead of 5).

Also consider a system where the player receives equippable passive upgrades that force you to use a limited number of slots. Since many of the upgrades can be lateral boosts, that allows you to increase the number of hidden items without making the player become trivially strong. Consider something like the Navi Customizer from the Megaman Battle Network series, but add your own twists to make it unique.

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Navi_Customizer

Adding lots of upgrades to an easy mode is a great way to make the game accessible to players who don't want a challenging game, but do want to play a silly game about a chicken.
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »

you had me at chicken.... you had me at chicken  Cry

On STEAM ยป
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »

Open to suggestions, but It's likely that I'll strip it all out in lieu of Metroidvania style collection (which sort of already exists in the game).

I like the idea of metroidvania style upgrades (as another person suggested, sprinkle the levels with collectables that boost stats). You can then balance it by adding in-game rewards for low% runs (possibly just a bonus splash screen at the ending) or a hard mode where you do not get boosts, or boosts are significantly reduced (eg, reward 2 points bonus instead of 5).

Also consider a system where the player receives equippable passive upgrades that force you to use a limited number of slots. Since many of the upgrades can be lateral boosts, that allows you to increase the number of hidden items without making the player become trivially strong. Consider something like the Navi Customizer from the Megaman Battle Network series, but add your own twists to make it unique.

Adding lots of upgrades to an easy mode is a great way to make the game accessible to players who don't want a challenging game, but do want to play a silly game about a chicken.

Starbound does this effectively I think. The only flaw is I can't have puzzles that require certain abilities without letting you swap them easily.

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2015, 12:20:16 AM »

Projectiles

The blood is from failed gif attempts.

In order to make a platformer fun, I'm fairly certain it needs a wide array of death beams and murder balls. For this reason, I've engineered a few ways to deal with them...

a: under
b: over
c: deflection
d: destruction

In ChickenSword, all methods will be required for you to survive because projectiles will commonly be combined with other traps and enemies. The first (practice) boss for instance can be destroyed easily by deflecting his own pimp juice back on him. Some projectiles will explode upon deflection, however.

You may have also noticed that I moved from a vertical slashing motion to a horizontal. This is to increase the difficulty of projectile deflection. It's no fun when you can just bat them from a safe distance.

Also, it looks cooler with the dash:

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2015, 05:45:32 AM »

im going to skype you about this

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2015, 10:20:38 AM »

BTW, any connection to Dinosword?

Other than technically being its evolutionary descendant by a few dozen million years.
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2015, 10:30:22 AM »

Wow these gifs made my day!

Does he use his sword at all while dashing? I got confused, it looks like he thrusts his body and enemies explode  Shocked

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2015, 10:38:44 AM »

Does he use his sword at all while dashing? I got confused, it looks like he thrusts his body and enemies explode  Shocked
Look carefully and you'll see the green-fade line, so the sword is aimed sideways during the dash.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2015, 11:55:49 AM »

Why no *nix support?

Looks so fun too, the chickens in Zelda have a bit of a cult following, it seems apt that they have an outing like this Smiley

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2015, 11:58:28 AM »

Look carefully and you'll see the green-fade line, so the sword is aimed sideways during the dash.

Yeah, I actually was swinging while dashing. The frames on the gif seem to drop out.

RE: Dinosword: no. Considering changing name to Poultryknight

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2015, 11:02:29 PM »

Starbound does this effectively I think. The only flaw is I can't have puzzles that require certain abilities without letting you swap them easily.

You could keep it less puzzly, and have the abilities make some sections a little easier or less annoying, but still passable without them. You don't need the double jump, but it makes you feel safer on some of those tricky jumps, etc. Allowing runs where people avoid getting some of the power ups to add to the challenge.

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2015, 11:34:21 PM »

FOLIAGE

Don't get poked.

This might seem like a BS update on the surface, and it kind of is, but it has questions attached. Should plants yield hearts (corn) or something when you swat them, or does that tend to lead to cheesy gameplay? Corn makes a good health potion because it's probably pretty rare in the post-apocalyptic wastelands....

macepoodle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2015, 11:50:56 PM »

ChickenSword looks f-in fantastic mate! Love the character animation and the overall style and feel of the game. Keep at it!

Mig (@wtfmig)
Level 1

Butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2015, 11:56:48 PM »

ChickenSword looks f-in fantastic mate! Love the character animation and the overall style and feel of the game. Keep at it!

Thanks, yo. Originally I chose a chicken as a test because it is the easiest animal I could think of to animate. I was correct.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic