Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:26:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure [Funded on Kickstarter!]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure [Funded on Kickstarter!]  (Read 20747 times)
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2015, 12:41:51 AM »

Looks very crisp! Love the writing I have seen so far.

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2015, 12:09:46 PM »

Thanks! Doing our best.

Finally got some parallax up in here. Walking is sped up for some reason that's beyond me, and characters' relative sizes are a work in progress. 

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2015, 01:19:54 PM »

The animation quality is impressive! Following Cool

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2015, 05:24:35 AM »

Main Menu Revealed

Well, we're happily slavering away at introducing gameplay conditions now that pretty much everything is up and running in the demo - we're rapidly approaching alpha and can't wait to start bug testing this baby!

Until then, well, it might be a small reveal, but it's something, goshdarn it - click below for our main menu!  Gomez

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2015, 05:29:58 AM »

Menu looks great. When do you plan on going live with your KS?

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2015, 05:58:37 AM »

Thanks! Well, I've said a lot of months before and was proved wrong, but right now it's really starting to look like October, and we really, really, really wouldn't want it later than that.

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2015, 10:01:15 PM »

Looking great, guys! I especially love the color design (and everything that has to do with Kitteh). Are you guys going to maintain this yellow-orange/purple color palette throughout the game or is that limited to the first area?

And man, I absolutely love the music on the main menu.
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2015, 11:08:55 PM »

Thanks! Well, I've said a lot of months before and was proved wrong, but right now it's really starting to look like October, and we really, really, really wouldn't want it later than that.

Yep I would really advice to not miss October, as November and December are bad periods for campaigns, then you'll need to wait until next year.

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2015, 11:56:49 PM »

@nnyei: Thanks! Purple is definitely going to be a recurring motif throughout the game, but also different areas will have different dominant colors (e.g. Fishmouth, our version of Innsmouth, will probably be a lot more green and brownish, etc). I love how you can add dynamic colored lighting to a scene in Unity, so we'll be playing with that a lot more later in the game.

Happy you like the music - I'm usually a bit shy to showcase it since I have zero music theory knowledge and do everything by ear  Embarrassed

@Fenrir: Yup, you're absolutely right, we really want to avoid doing a campaign that's close to the holiday season, they're notoriously harder to pull off.

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2015, 10:07:52 PM »

Small musical update

Hey guys! We're now finishing up demo logic, adding extra animations and trying to QA test it as well as possible, but what we're REALLY excited right now is that we finally bought a suite of excellent-sounding VSTs (virtual musical instruments and sound bank). We're thrilled with how game music sounds now. Oh my God, is that a real vibrato violin? No, no it isn't!  Well, hello there!

Check out the very first piece of music in the demo, called "Darkham At Night", best experienced in a dark, damp alley under the shimmering light of a gibbous moon.

https://soundcloud.com/gibbous-439457744/darkham-at-night

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2015, 03:32:40 PM »

Purple is definitely going to be a recurring motif throughout the game, but also different areas will have different dominant colors.

I mostly asked out of curiosity so I would've been fine with either, but that's honestly the best answer I could've gotten. Grin

The new piece of music you posted perfectly fits your description. I wish I could be that good at music with zero music theory knowledge. Tears of Joy
Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2015, 01:12:35 AM »

In case you guys were curious about how a background looks in its earliest phase (the danky, rot-ridden streets of Fishmouth), here's 1 hour's worth of doodling:

...and here it is, 3 hours of work later:

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:10:13 AM by Mr Underhill » Logged

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2016, 03:46:46 AM »

DEMO DONE AND IN TESTING!

It's been a while since I've posted any progress here, woah! Well, like I'm convinced a lot of you are forced to, we had to take some paid work in order to continue financing the demo, but both are done and we're now in the process of thoroughly testing the demo.

More good news - Kickstarter will probably happen either in March or April - that's like two months away, right? And we'll probably be releasing the demo publicly a bit sooner than that. We're so excited and we just can't hide it!

Peace and Lovecraft.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2016, 12:24:42 AM »

Really enjoying seeing all the in-progress art shots, it's definitely looking lovely.

Here's something I'm interested in, how much of the game will be in the demo? It's taken a year or more to get this far (with breaks doing contract work, I know), so with three people on the team, does that mean you'll need to Kickstart for a quite a lot of money in order to finish the whole thing to the same degree of polish?

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2016, 01:03:45 AM »

Hey DizzyDoo!

Depending on whether you take your time or dash through it, the demo is anywhere between 20 minutes and an hour long, which is pretty meaty for an adventure game.

If I had to approximate, it was something like 6-7 full months for 3 people, with occasional help from a junior programmer here and there. As to how long it'll take to complete... For us, there were two huge time consumers, in this order: learning to use the dedicated adventure game plugin and additional programming stuff, and art. Now, we want the background art to be detailed enough to make you want to spend time exploring, so that aspect will remain the same (painstakingly long, if satisfying, process). Thankfully, though, on the programming side, now that we've successfully created a full vertical slice of the game, it will become a simple matter of adding new content - in other words, implementing will take a fraction of what it used to. Hopefully Smiley Also, main character movement, specials etc. constitute the biggest part of the gameplay animation load, and that's more or less done for now.

It's hard to approximate, but we're hoping for a substantial increase in development speed now that we've completed a vertical slice. If and when our campaign is successful, I hope we can bring more creative people into the fold, because no matter how passionate and dedicated me and Cami, our other artist, are, there's still the matter of painting tens of backgrounds, writing tons of dialog, making tens of minutes of music... Tell you the truth, it's gonna be a bitch to pull through, but I can't wait!

The Kickstarter - well, we didn't want to do this initially, but we'll probably have to compromise and ask for a decent amount of money for Act 1 initially. I'm not a big fan of episodic gaming, but it's VERY hard for veteran, renowned studios to fund full-length adventure games on KS, let alone a virtually unknown Eastern-European studio. So that's probably the way we'll go, and our ask will be, I guess... realistic. We haven't decided on a number yet, but it will definitely be under $50k.

Thanks for your interest in our little project.

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2016, 02:17:14 AM »

Hey guys! Just dropping by to share a .gif with the world:

Ironing out the various kinks is taking some time, along with putting the finishing touches on the website and preparing for the Kickstarter campaign,  but I expect we'll release the demo publicly in a couple of weeks.

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2016, 06:49:50 AM »

Hey guys! We're still plugging away at this thing, Kickstarter coming in the following weeks!

In the meantime, here's a Kickstarter teaser:

And our new and shiny website:

http://gibbousgame.com/

Woohoo! Please let us know what you think, don't be shy! Thanks a lot.

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2016, 01:47:45 AM »

Hey guys!

We are gearing up for an unpcoming Kickstarter campaign, and we could use some feedback on our draft page.

Here it is: Gibbous Kickstarter Draft Page.

Note: About 95% done. Demo links not active yet.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »

Fantastic video, will definitely back this game. Cheesy Hand Money Right I suggest to translate the money in other currency like Euro.
Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2016, 12:58:48 AM »

Thanks Schotti! That's a great idea, we'll be adding Euro and UK Pounds to the reward tiers. Cheers!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic