Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:13:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGifty [Dev Thread]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Gifty [Dev Thread]  (Read 5985 times)
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:46:52 PM »

Hello TIGSource!

There's this game, you see. Creating a development thread sounded to me like the fun thing to do, and so here we are. Wink

You may or may not have played Nifty, and in fact I'd rather you not to have played it. It was... mediocre, at best. A little over a year ago I posted a topic in Feedback for it, you can find it if you're curious.

Gifty is a sequel to that game.

Here's your basic description of the concept. Each stage consists of a hint box, a "work area" (I don't really like that name, but it'll be sufficient just to explain the concept), and a finish button.

The hint box contains brief, vague instructions. You interpret and complete these requirements in the work area. When you're done, you press the finish button.

Very simple, very general. Anything could happen. Well, hello there!

Who's this? His name is Gift. If you happen to press that finish button without having completed the instructions, well... pain ensues in the form of an increasingly powerful electric shock.

Like Nifty, a lot of Gifty's gameplay will revolve around files, generally text files. The "open" folder you see down there is a way for you and Gifty to communicate. That is, it's sort of a "messaging" system with text files, where you may place a file/edit a file to send a message, and messages are sent back in the form of files as well (i.e. the game may prompt you to change a recently sent file or something). It'll be important for some of Gifty's puzzles.

The happs folder holds Helper Apps. Helper apps do things. What kinds of things? Nobody knows - FOR NOW.

As far as gameplay concepts go, that's all I will explain for now.

I intend to have a bit of fun with the graphics. 16 colors available total, but only 4 may be used at any given time. It feels like a rather fun limitation.

And for music, well, I've been inspired in a way after Mistress Increpare's Music Challenge. The music will be consistent in that it will all be incredibly low quality. Cool

Music sample 1
Music sample 2

I'm going for a creepy, eerie experience here. Expect some surprises, perhaps.

Nothing done in terms of coding yet, but I'm going to be starting that very soon. For now, expect updates in regards to graphics, music, and of course gameplay. And mockups, too. Mockups are pretty cool.

Thank you, sirs! That is all... for now. Gentleman

- Me
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:25:02 AM by Mr. Yes » Logged

The-Imp
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »

That... Sample... Was... AMAZING.

I'm looking forward to more.
UncleJoe
Level 0

You don't like this guy, but you're not sure why.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:01:51 PM »

I have never been more excited for this!

Really looking forward to seeing some progress.

Neither Epic, Rad, Nor Awesome.
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »

sorry guys but I FUCKING LOVED NIFTY.  Mock Anger Mock Anger Mock Anger

I really really loved Nifty. I have been telling it to all my friends for a while now, most of which kinda give me a funny look when I turn it on, but we end up playing through the game (while I give them a lot of hints). But still, I loved it all the same. Ever since my first beta test I was hooked on development. I even made my own officially unofficial sequel that sucked, More Nifty, and am working on a spinoff of sorts called Nifty Adventure, and yet another spinoffy thingy that's under wraps. So it's no secret that I love it to death.

So obviously, i guess the point of this post was to say that Gifty is a Best Good Thing!!™
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:31:19 PM »

Wow, interesting! This looks like a game to watch out for.

Blink
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:04:44 PM »

Thanks, guys! I appreciate it very much.

A mockup, demonstrating the vagueness of a typical stage's instructions. (I didn't put much thought into this particular puzzle in the mockup, but I won't be using it anyway).

More to come!

jute
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:09:10 PM »

I like the low-bitrate music a lot!  You know you could get it down to 8kbps if you wanted, right?

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:14:09 PM »

You may or may not have played Nifty, and in fact I'd rather you not to have played it. It was... mediocre, at best. A little over a year ago I posted a topic in Feedback for it, you can find it if you're curious.

Mock Anger

HOW YOU SAY THIS THING? I really liked Nifty! It was, dare I say... unique. I've never played anything like it, before or after, and the fact one had to derive logic from the utter confusion presented ensured every puzzle was satisfying. The presentation was slick, you continually changed the rules, it was a little disturbing and, to be frank, it made me wonder why more people don't venture outside what is normal for a "puzzle" game.

What I'm trying to say is that whether or not you acknowledge it, Mr. Yes, you understand game design. In a strange, backwards manner. The best kind of understanding.

So, this looks pretty exciting. I dig the limitations you're imposing, and the fact I just know it's gonna be weird. The low, low quality music is appreciated.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »

This thread:

yes YES YES
increpare
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 11:18:08 PM »

i like the 'finish' idea
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:48 AM »

Shocked Wow, once again, thanks guys!

I like the low-bitrate music a lot!  You know you could get it down to 8kbps if you wanted, right?

I have indeed done that with a few of the songs! Usually I choose between 16 and 8 to see what's better for that particular song.

Mock Anger

HOW YOU SAY THIS THING? I really liked Nifty! It was, dare I say... unique. I've never played anything like it, before or after, and the fact one had to derive logic from the utter confusion presented ensured every puzzle was satisfying. The presentation was slick, you continually changed the rules, it was a little disturbing and, to be frank, it made me wonder why more people don't venture outside what is normal for a "puzzle" game.

What I'm trying to say is that whether or not you acknowledge it, Mr. Yes, you understand game design. In a strange, backwards manner. The best kind of understanding.

So, this looks pretty exciting. I dig the limitations you're imposing, and the fact I just know it's gonna be weird. The low, low quality music is appreciated.

Thanks! Smiley Though my reason for believing it was mediocre was more the execution of the idea. I liked the idea, which is why I'm creating this new game.

One example of a flaw in its execution is the first ten or so levels. It didn't really give a good introduction to the game, and they're all based on clicking blocks to change them (which is what the whole game was originally going to be about until I thought of the idea of making the levels vary a lot more).

Anyway, I'm very happy with these good responses, and I feel even more motivated now!

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »

Well, 'tis the first step, folks.

I drew a tile... on the screen. Epileptic

Anyway, AWESOME TIME:

Like Nifty, a lot of Gifty's gameplay will revolve around files, generally text files. The "open" folder you see up there is a way for you and Gifty to communicate. That is, it's sort of a "messaging" system with text files, where you may place a file/edit a file to send a message, and messages are sent back in the form of files as well (i.e. the game may prompt you to change a recently sent file or something). It'll be important for some of Gifty's puzzles.

The happs folder holds Helper Apps. Helper apps do things. What kinds of things? Nobody knows - FOR NOW.

alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 11:01:09 AM »

I'm totally overjoyed to hear that there will be more nifty type stuff, as I too loved Nifty.  In fact, I still have it on my desktop!  My only suggestion is, the Helper Maker didn't work at all for me, no matter what I tried.  Either make better hints about its use or make it (or a similar application if you're intending to include one) more accessible, as I hit a brick wall there.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »

I'm totally overjoyed to hear that there will be more nifty type stuff, as I too loved Nifty.  In fact, I still have it on my desktop!  My only suggestion is, the Helper Maker didn't work at all for me, no matter what I tried.  Either make better hints about its use or make it (or a similar application if you're intending to include one) more accessible, as I hit a brick wall there.

Really? Interesting, I hadn't heard anything like that from anyone (the helper maker being confusing, that is).

There will be similar programs in Gifty, and I'll keep what you've said in mind.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 03:56:48 PM »

HELLO AGAIN

Nothing special right now, just testing things out. Here's what I've gotten done:

• level editor finished
  • buttons! and thank goodness, 'cause that pretty much covers 50% of the game :D
  • delicious pixelly text

And, so I at least have something to show in this post, here's another song:

SONG SAMPLE #2

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »

And, so I at least have something to show in this post, here's another song:

SONG SAMPLE #2

That actually sounds pretty cool, kinda like music you'd hear in a futuristic third-world country.

null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »

The second song sample reminds me greatly of Throbbing Gristle's song Discipline.
Gr.Viper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »

Heh. Smiley There is some similarity with TG.
But not many people are going to notice, I think.

Now in his mid-forties and still unusual Hubert had learnt many important things, when he was young... ...most importantly, that sanity is a compromise.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 06:06:46 AM »

Haven't heard that song before (until just now) so I can't say I was influenced by it. Pretty neat though.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 05:32:19 AM »

I guess I'll take this time to show my progress:

* Saving/loading stages
* Backgrounds (that scroll to the left)
* Exit buttons, reset buttons, and finish buttons all work
* Gift-shocking (yay)

Without yet worrying about the other stuff I'm needing to do, I can begin creating stages now. Grin

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic