Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:03:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTreasure Tomb (scrolling, shooting, puzzling, no match-3-ing!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Treasure Tomb (scrolling, shooting, puzzling, no match-3-ing!)  (Read 11479 times)
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 07:27:13 AM »

I clicked on the thread without looking at who created it, and boy am I glad I did!  Overall, i really liked  the game, definitely a Gauntlet-type vibe to it.  I really can't wait to see how the game develops.  The only major problem i encountered was with the targeting system.  While i really like the idea, it did get stuck on enemies a couple times.  Maybe it because I just wasnt killing them enough, but the cursor would get stuck on a single enemy and would leave it until i killed it, which was kind of an annoyance.

Other than that, I will be waiting eagerly for this to come out!
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 04:29:56 AM »

I don't think we'll be putting in a strafe (though the reality is I'd love to do it). Well, I could try it as an optional control that you don't have to use - maybe hold down shift to maintain current facing? Easy experiment to try. Don't worry about the boxes, there won't be too many of them Wink You might occasionally need to solve a box-pushing puzzle like the pressure activated switch room.

The Pac-Man powerup will be quite rare Smiley And being Bezerk is handy so you can destroy turrets! (And just wait until the later levels when the gidrahs have more hitpoints too - that's when Bezerk will be useful!)

If you find that your target crosshair has locked on to a gidrah and it's run off behind a box - release the trigger! As long as the trigger is held on and the gidrah it's locked on to is alive, it will stay locked on. Release it and it immediately targets the closest visible gidrah. Elegant eh?

Cas Smiley

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 10:52:32 AM »

If you find that your target crosshair has locked on to a gidrah and it's run off behind a box - release the trigger! As long as the trigger is held on and the gidrah it's locked on to is alive, it will stay locked on. Release it and it immediately targets the closest visible gidrah. Elegant eh?

You are a genius, Cas  Smiley
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 11:32:49 AM »

Damn, that -is- sweet. Can't wait to see more!

And I can handle box-pushing when I like the game enough, and 2D box pushing is always much less tedious than in 3D for some reason. Just a hell of a lot faster, and easier to plan out from up above.
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 12:32:39 PM »

Box pushing has to be kept to a minimum because of the probability that a player will permanently screw a level up and be stuck unable to leave. There are already "crate reset switches" all around the rooms with crates in, which return the crates to their original positions.

Cas Smiley

crakkie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 08:41:32 AM »

Not a box reset switch! Shocked

I like the gameplay that's shown. Shooting is easy and fun. Pellet munching feels good and it's easy to clear out a chamber of them. Box pushing feels a little too sensitive; maybe some push resistance or forcing the player to line up more with the box would help?

Also, lots of box pushing really slows down the game's momentum. It's not that big of a deal in Mr. Robot, where it fit's the pace. But in TT, pushing boxes around and onto switches (which I tried, I'm not sure it did anything) just borked the arcade energy of shooting, collecting, exploring, and nabbing powerups. I guess it will fit better when you put some more puzzles in...

Looks awesome! I'm picking it up the day you release. My son especially loves your games, and luckily he's too young to read the naughty language in the high score charts!
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 09:41:47 AM »

Must make a better rude word filter  Cry

Cas Smiley

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 11:51:11 AM »

Hmm... We could make a thread where everyone can pitch in bad words and developers would use them in their filters... Could be fun! :D

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 03:55:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure just playing 'Fuck Typing' would work to much the same effect.

And the block pushing here is fine, I'd hate for it to become the sole concern in the developmental process...ness. In 2D, and certainly from Top-Down, box pushing feels much faster and less like an effort to it's 3D counter-parts. I just don't like it when it's inserted for lack of creating an original idea for puzzles, but here it feels fine so far, though it'd certainly be interesting to see how else they're implemented in the rest of the game.

Seriously. Who played Broken Sword 3? Why the HELL was I suddenly pushing giant crates in that game beyond the reasoning that it was 3D? */rant*
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 04:29:15 AM »

I'm about halfway through the first MoonBase Alpha level now and I've not put a single crate in it Smiley

Cas Smiley

princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 11:54:15 AM »

Hm, strange things are afoot. Behold this conversation with Chaz the other day. I'm halfway through putting all the ammo and weaponry in.

Cas Smiley

princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2007, 03:06:05 PM »

Gave up on all that ammo and weaponry stuff. It was shit. But we've come a long way since that last build: check out the latest build of Treasure Tomb here!

Cas Smiley
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:28:41 PM by princec » Logged

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2007, 04:06:01 PM »

@doomlaser, mark johns
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2007, 04:29:14 PM »

Sorry Lips Sealed Fixed the typo.

Cas Smiley

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 12:20:07 PM »

ah good! Smiley I'll check it out!

princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »

Crashes when you die :/ I'll upload the fix in the mornign when i;m sober.

Cas Embarrassed

Doncommie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 04:13:14 PM »

Oh wow going psychotic is fantastic  Tongue

I like this, it has a nice amount of depth and a good coherent style. My wired 360 controllers analogue stick had the axis the wrong way around but the D Pad worked right, someone else reported that so I know it's not just me.

Didn't notice any weirdness but it needs to give you way more direction, I imagine you are working on this. Love the crazy powerups and stuff, we need more! Random fun is fun.

I think you could really add a lot of depth if you could change the players weapons around like in metroid. Different kind of weapons with different kind of effects instead of just "zap" could be interesting. That might overcomplicate things so I don't know how you'd do it Wink

Gameplay wise, the three problems are direction, motivation ahd challenge. Considering how early this is I'm sure you will already be thinking of this but who am I, why am I zapping funky red robots and why don't they have more personality? Ultratron robots had really cool voices. Challenge wise the game is really easy at the moment. The only time I took damage was trying to run through the fixed turrets when I shouldn't and standing on the green acid without realising it was dangerous.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »

Hey there!
Tried the game a bit, I like the direction its taking.

Right now, as mentionne dearlier, the game is quite easy. I expected more action Wink

Second, I like how the player decides which area he will visit. Very nice! I also like how you die and get to move everywhere in ghost form. Very interesting, it allows the player to explore the level without giving him any rewards except a gem. I really like how it works.

One thing I have to say is that the areas are really big and it's relatively easy to get lost. A map could be nice or something that the player can do to mark the ground, like the remains of the enemies or something like that. Anything that will help the player know where he's been.

Anyway, it's quite interesting. Haven't figured out why I can regenerate and injure myslef using the z and x button... What's the use of these functions?

Good job!
Guert

princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 04:03:27 PM »

A couple of weeks from now you'll find out what the motivation is when we get some more levels done and let the plot unfold! Right now you've got the first three levels of the "moonbase" tileset and they're deliberately easy as we don't want to frighten anyone off. By the 8th and final moonbase map you should be getting a real challenge out of it. There will be 64 maps in all, spread over 8 tilesets, each intertwined with the others via some sort of vague plot. I expect we'll have some bosses in there too.

We were sort of hoping that eating the dots would help you remember where you've been. Maybe not Smiley Maybe I'll stick in a minimap screen somewhere.

Z and X keys are for debugging Smiley Likewise H currently just completes the level you're on. Not very exciting!

Cas Smiley

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2007, 07:01:32 AM »

Ooh, it's shaping up nicely. Seems a much fuller game than your previous titles and is a lot pacier. Nice presentation.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic