Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:23:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC: So it begins again.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Print
Author Topic: GDC: So it begins again.  (Read 186308 times)
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2014, 04:51:13 AM »

I'm not going but I always recommend trying couchsurfing.org, if you are traveling and don't want to spend any monies, I think we wrote 20+ people (depends on the city san fran isn't so bad) but you'll most likely get a place to stay if you write enough ahead (now's a good time).  Stay in touch before you arrive.  Hosts are usually pretty cool just be cool, grateful & courteous too, bring beer or something.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »

Geti -- cool; thanks!

EDIT: Looks like they're full for the week already?

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2014, 09:56:11 AM »

Yeah, the good one is basically full.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: February 05, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »

Hmm, that's too bad.

Different question: Does anyone have any recommendations for services I should choose to print my business cards (either websites or brick-and-mortar shops work)? I recall a whole thread about business cards from a previous year, which I will probably look up -- but maybe some new and great service has come up since then.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Jodediah
Level 0

New here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: February 08, 2014, 12:20:13 AM »

Different question: Does anyone have any recommendations for services I should choose to print my business cards (either websites or brick-and-mortar shops work)? I recall a whole thread about business cards from a previous year, which I will probably look up -- but maybe some new and great service has come up since then.
I just used Vistaprint, it seemed to work just fine. I forget how much I paid, but it's one of those sites that always has a huge deal going on to trick you into thinking you're saving a bunch of money, haha. Plus I think they always give away 250 free vistaprint branded and less complicated business cards, which is kind of cool.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »

I can't stay where I was going to stay for GDC, and now I'm homeless for my trip. The indie hostel looks booked, but are any of you guys staying anywhere else? I'm looking at the city center hostel, and it'll cost me around $40/night and it's like a 15 minute walk from the Moscone Center. There are also AirBNB postings for the Moscone Center for like $50/night...

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Chris Pavia
« Reply #326 on: February 13, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »

If anyone knows of any IGS passes up for grabs, I'm interested. I live a short train ride away (Sunnyvale) so I'll be going to a bunch of the parties either way.
Jodediah
Level 0

New here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: February 13, 2014, 12:12:51 PM »

If anyone knows of any IGS passes up for grabs, I'm interested. I live a short train ride away (Sunnyvale) so I'll be going to a bunch of the parties either way.
Hey, I'm in Sunnyvale too! :D

Chris Pavia
« Reply #328 on: February 14, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »

Hey, I'm in Sunnyvale too! :D

Nice! Where at in Sunnyvale? Do you go to any of the gamedev meet ups in the area?
Jodediah
Level 0

New here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »

Nice! Where at in Sunnyvale? Do you go to any of the gamedev meet ups in the area?

Yeah! I went to one of the Tobiah Marks meetups @ Microsoft in January. I couldn't make the most recent one due to a prior engagement, unfortunately.
I live right next door to the Lucky supermarket on Mathilda and Maude. :}

How do GDC parties work? My goal this year is mainly to make friends with as many developers as possible, and I feel like the outside parties would be a fantastic opportunity.  Panda

Chris Pavia
« Reply #330 on: February 15, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »

Cool, I'm at El Camino and Fair Oaks, so I'm only a few miles away.

To find out what's going on with GDC Parties, I recommend The Fellowship of GDC Parties Facebook group, or Brandon Boyer's calendar of parties. I had fun at the Venus Patrol/Wild Rumpus (tickets may already be sold out) and the DNA Lounge parties. I've also heard good things about the Touch Arcade party. Went to the IGDA one last year but didn't like it, felt more like an advertising opportunity for all their partners. Most will require you to RSVP or buy tickets, so figure out what you want to do as early as possible.
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 03, 2014, 06:10:28 PM »

Yeah the IGDA parties are generally pretty tame, but (IME) that means it's easier to start/maintain a conversation, so it all depends on how you want to balance your networking with your fun.

If you <3 music and/or just want to party your face off, the DNA Lounge is stellar. The lineup looks a little sparse this year, but if nothing else there's Virt.

Has anyone heard of jams happening outside of the indie hostel?

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
keywiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 04, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »

Hi,

I will be at GDC Play 2014.
Visit us and take a look at Project Root.
Looking forward meet developers around the world.
Can't wait? Download the demo now!
http://www.opqam.com/download

alexis
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 04, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »

(Hah, creepily also in Sunnyvale at Fair Oaks and El Camino!)

Can anyone tell me, did I miss an announcement about another Denny's Art Jam?
Last year it was a bit awkward at first, but, really a nice (productive) use of an evening.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #334 on: March 05, 2014, 04:22:37 PM »

Which apartment complex are you at in Sunnyvale? I'm in Arbor Terrace.

Denny's art jam has been going for a few years now, hopefully someone will get it together (or maybe everyone will just show up anyway).
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: March 11, 2014, 05:35:48 PM »

Hey guys - so it looks like I'll be in town during GDC.  Private message me if you'd like to meet up and hang out.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2014, 11:31:31 AM »

Sadly, some of us (me) won't be getting to attend GDC this year. For all of you who are there, be sure to post plenty of pics/stories of your experiences here on TigSource. Let us non-attendees share in your experience vicariously. I am very eager to hear about all the goings-on and developments, and getting accounts from people on the ground is always the best way.
ink.inc
« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »

just saw themsalltook outside the monaco talk

currently hanging out with bobo and xion and panda outside the reg center
ink.inc
« Reply #338 on: March 17, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »

im the asian guy with longish hair and a black tigjam shirt
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: March 17, 2014, 03:45:25 PM »

Damn, would have been good to meet up with some people (really haven't done that much in previous years, though saw themsalltook at the LD thing) but we're not there this year. Hope you guys have fun.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic