Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:14:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInterSection - v1.01 released
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: InterSection - v1.01 released  (Read 22565 times)
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »

Now Available On Steam!
InterSection Steam Page

Your world is dying.
Your predecessor gave his life to link you to a young world; now you must use this link to save your people.

Trailers!

Old Trailer:
old trailer

Play the Demo

PCGamer article on InterSection!

This is InterSection:

Demo builds can be found at the playtest thread

Original Post:

Two wrongs don't make a right, but two 2D's do make a 3D....sort of
-Lame tag line

Intersection is a game I've been working on; it started as an entry to the Ludum Dare 30, where it won 3rd place in innovation and tenth place in theme(Connected Worlds). I've since updated it a bunch and am starting a devlog.
The basic mechanic is that there are two 2d worlds that you travel simultaneously on. Progress in one is needed to progress in the other.
I've got a friend making some music, so hope to add that soon.
No idea where to go with the graphics, 3d isn't my thing, and neither is visual design. Tips would be greatly appreciated.
In terms of mechanics, I'm thinking of turning it into a somewhat 3d platformer, with traps and stuff to dodge around, and maybe some puzzley elements.

Link:
Intersection
Controls:
WASD - move
Mouse - look
Space - Jump
Shift lock - axis
Scroll Wheel - Zoom in and out

The current level is the same as the one from the jam, going to add more soon and split them up (right now it's just a big mega level)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:17:07 PM by Miziziziz » Logged

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »

Bump: added gif
(and Bandicam is not my friend)
Also, thinking of changing the name; current ideas are Torrynt, Gmae, and Theyest Thou
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:20:30 PM by Miziziziz » Logged

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:30:03 PM »

I like the concept.

I'd prefer it if my directional movement were locked to an axis, so that left and right traveled solely along whichever axis is most horizontal, and up and down solely along whichever axis is most vertical.  If it's relative to the camera there's an inevitable fight between movement (which is usually along one axis) and viewing both axes (which is best from an intermediate angle).  (So when I want to move in just one direction, I have to look down the other axis, and so as often as not that puts a big block right in front of the camera.  So I move it, but then "left" now walks me diagonally, causing me to fall.)

Actually, a fixed camera might even be best.  Or one that just has two or three positions (blue-wards, red-wards, and maybe intermediate).

Graphically, I think I would enjoy it most if the two worlds were visibly and thematically different.  Like if one axis type was a lighthearted Mario-type platformer, but the other were a realistic cityscape, or an asteroid field with aliens, or a monster-infested cave.  Using the elements of one kind of world to overcome challenges in an entirely different world would be really neat.
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:19:40 AM »

Hey,thanks for the response!
The axis-locking you described is in the game already(hold shift)

Also, I've fixed most of the visibility issues by replacing the starting wall that prevents you from going off the map with the transparent barrier you see in the gif.(havent uploaded that build yet)and splittig the level into multiple smaller ones helps, too.

When I first made this for the Ludum Dare, I tried the fixed view thing, wih multiple views. Was a little awkward since parts of the level were always covered, making so that you had to constantly switch views, which was confusing.

That's a good suggetion for the different worlds, I'll definitely think about that

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:34:09 AM »

This mechanic sounds really fun and I can see it going a lot of different directions (that gif you made explains it perfectly).

I agree with valrus that the two worlds should remain distinctly different. As a pure puzzle platform I think the simple red and blue voxels works well. It might help if you had a story for the game in deciding what the two worlds' aesthetics would be. Why does the character have to go between the two worlds? Are both worlds aware of each other? Maybe questions regarding story could give you direction on the visuals.

For what you have right now, you could play with multiple point lights/direction lights with slightly different hues to make your world more dynamic. You could also add some color correction/vibrance camera filters to really make your level pop.

One thing you haven't really touched is the background. I know in architecture (I'm an architect by trade) if we really want an object to pop we put a subtle texture on the background. This makes the foregrounded object become even more distinct.

Looking forward to this game's development!

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »

ooh, those are good tips, thanks
Yeah, visuals are my next step

I added Some skyboxes I got off the Asset store and it really makes a difference:

Also, new build up! (check OP)

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 03:30:07 AM »

this makes my head hurt, but in a good way. i like it! i can't wait to see where this goes.

INITIALLY i was not a big fan of how movement works when axes are not locked, honestly; part of me thinks it makes way more sense to have the axes locked by default, but perhaps that's just me? but i got used to it and it started to gel a bit. i think that being able to toggle the default to one or the other would be nice, though.

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 04:48:33 AM »

The skybox does give a nice feel, but I'm also inclined to think something richer than cube, red, and blue could be nice. Maybe still abstract. Not sure. But yeah the skybox definitely gave me a different attitude than without it.

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »

Thanks rj!
I'll change it to toggleable axis lock.
going to be adding spikes into the next build, should make for some more interesting puzzles.

Also, Concept art!

One is a dying world, one is a green, young one. Both are littered with curious runes, which you must solve the puzzles of to help your people escape to the green world.

Not exactly the feel I want, but almost there. I think it needs to be more simplistic, and need to experiment with architecture and more varied terrain. Also want to put more water in the green world. Definitely going to keep it low-poly with the models
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:56:36 PM by Miziziziz » Logged

clewcat
Level 0

clewcat on the fly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 05:35:20 PM »

Yeah you should have the axes locked by default.

I like the idea of lifeless and lively worlds. Keep it up!

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 05:47:21 PM »

Alright, I'll change it to that in the next build.
and thanks!
also, how does the camera feel? It's currently set to lag behind the player a bit (using smoothdamp), but do you all think it would be better if it exactly followed the player?
(It does this in the older build linked to in the original post if you want to compare)

ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 06:44:28 PM »

Wow man, this is such a genius idea! I was watching the GIF, and when you started moving I just went
NO. WAY.

And those concepts! Jeez, if you can achieve this, I will happily fund this game a million times over!

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 01:09:38 AM »

honestly, and perhaps this is just me thinking as a composer/sfx guy, but the potential for the sound design and music is what's making my head spin when i look at that visual concept; i'm picturing some really great duality here, likely dynamic music and sfx; depending on which world's platform you're standing on, it'd lean one way or the other, etc

i'm excited to see what the intersection between worlds (which is occupied by the player) ends up looking like

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 02:37:14 AM »

that's a great theme idea.

honestly, and perhaps this is just me thinking as a composer/sfx guy, but the potential for the sound design and music is what's making my head spin when i look at that visual concept; i'm picturing some really great duality here, likely dynamic music and sfx; depending on which world's platform you're standing on, it'd lean one way or the other, etc

this is great too.
tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 04:49:50 AM »

I agree the proposed theme sounds really good.

Mya
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 06:06:05 AM »

Fantastic idea Smiley Love the whole dying/vibrant worlds idea & really like the way the whole thing is reduced down to something very simple.

Do you think you'd have enemies or hazards?

Looking forward to more!

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 01:09:07 PM »

Thanks everyone!
That's an awesome idea! WIll definitely try that out! (as soon as I get some sound equipment :/ )

i'm excited to see what the intersection between worlds (which is occupied by the player) ends up looking like
That's the part I'm dreading :/, no clue how to make it interesting, yet readable. Maybe I'll have some more ideas after I mess around with shaders. Anyways, that's far in the future for now
Do you think you'd have enemies or hazards?
There will be obstacles, but I'm getting a lot of design inspiration from Fez, like no-death, free exploration, etc. So the obstacles will be Teleport Stones that teleport you to the beginning of the level(instead of spikes that kill and respawn you)

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »

New build up! (check OP)
added teleport blocks, toggleable axis locking, and press 'f' to invert w and s keys (it made sense at the time)
and what I was saying about fez inspired design? lol, just get to level 6, this isn't 'casual exploration' at all.

there's something really frustrating about watching your character phase across the map if you move wrong. REALLY frustrating. idk if that's good or bad. I'll let you decide

screenshot of level five (first with tele blocks)

need to work on the camera some, sometimes you get weird movement if you're at a certain angle, since it'll flip between two directions for axis locking, need to add some dead area

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 07:00:24 PM »

Wow, this really looks amazing.

How do this even work? Is the cube you control actually moving or does the intersection move with you?

I've been mindfucken.

Looking forward for more! I also participated on the Connected Worlds Ludum Dare and I'm happy to see it brought this!
Phasesaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 07:45:46 AM »

I love this idea! What language are you coding it in?

Mainly a Java coder, though I dabble in websites.<br />https://github.com/Phasesaber
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic