Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:39:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopSeeking some feedback.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Seeking some feedback.  (Read 1427 times)
Circuitbomb
Level 0

Stache

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2015, 01:15:58 PM »

So I wanted to jump in to share and seek some critique.  I've been doing pixel art for about 3-4 weeks now and would appreciate some feedback, tips, tricks etc.  The most recent is the tree/gnomehome; I wanted to try my hand at shading and lighting in larger pieces.

Thanks for any feedback!

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:31:35 PM »

Pretty good shapewise, but I'd look into picking a palette and instead of a darker/light shade of a colour, shifting hue instead.
Check this out for more info: http://androidarts.com/pixtut/pixelart.htm

Circuitbomb
Level 0

Stache

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:28:33 PM »

Thanks, I'll check it out.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »

I'm not great at this either but here's my two cents Smiley

I like your characters. The simple shading works I think.

The mechanical orb and the other scenario-like objects are too flat in my opinion though. Think less in terms of outlines and more of light and shade. Here's a quick paint-over I did on your orb to illustrate what I mean:

Circuitbomb
Level 0

Stache

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:46:34 PM »

Thank you very much.  I do like your paint over of the orb much better than my own, I feel the contrast there and it pops much more. 

I admit that, I think that the single biggest issue for me is colour management with palettes and understanding hue, saturation, luminosity, and contrast.  I am picking similar colours out of the picker in my program(s) Embarrassed so I'll just have to break myself out of that habit.

Like I said, I am new to creating pixelart so I fully expect there's more to learn than just that too; that's why I'm here.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:54:21 PM »

When it comes to pixel art specifically this tutorial always comes to mind: http://androidarts.com/pixtut/pixelart.htm But if you're a beginner to the whole world of visual arts you can learn a lot by looking for painting tutorials. You can learn about color, values, composition, shapes, lights and all that stuff. The reason I say this is because if you restrain yourself to pixel art tutorials there isn't much material online, that tutorial I linked is one of the few I like. And if you learn how to draw and paint you can be sure that everything can be applied to pixel art.

Circuitbomb
Level 0

Stache

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »

Thanks, I've got that tutorial opened in another tab  Smiley  I've also been reading a number of posts on http://finalbossblues.com as well.

I have been studying general painting and sketching too, following along with the stuff presented at www.ctrlpaint.com that's been hugely helpful.  I used to draw a lot a long time ago but because I didn't keep up with it I lost that muscle memory so to speak and just end up with everything being a pretty rough, rough looking, rough draft  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic