Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:00:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInfinite Oasis - A Buggy Platformer
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: Infinite Oasis - A Buggy Platformer  (Read 16050 times)
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2015, 02:26:13 AM »

Page turn...

http://infiniteoasisgame.tumblr.com/post/134571803739/finally-added-money-into-the-game-not-entirely

Added some sound effects for the coins, I don't know if I like them.  I'm not sure if they sound extremely annoying or something. 

---

http://infiniteoasisgame.tumblr.com/post/134572520110/it-actually-sounds-way-better-with-just-the-higher

Sounds way better with the higher pitch.

I'm not sure if the money fits the theme of the game. What is a bug supposed to do with money? I don't think it feels right. The way you implemented it is flawless, it looks very good. However, i don't have a better idea. Maybe leaves? I don't remember, did you already have a leaf-based ability in the game?

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2015, 05:42:32 AM »

I completely agree.  

What is a bug supposed to do with money?

Well, I need some sort of currency in the game, unless what you mean is "THAT unit of currency(coins) doesn't make sense", which I disagree with a little bit since there's already a ton of other stuff that doesn't make sense, but I do agree that it doesn't look right aesthetically.  I tried to put little leaves on the coins to make them fit more, but it's hard to see.  Maybe golden leaves will work better?

However, i don't have a better idea. Maybe leaves? I don't remember, did you already have a leaf-based ability in the game?
I did have a leaf based ability but I'm fine with making the currency leaves as long as it doesn't look anything like the leaf particles.  Like maybe draw a leaf that has a money symbol on it which is the exact opposite of what I have now lol.  I'll draw some more money to see if anything works better.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2015, 06:37:09 AM »

I mean coins as currency feel "unnatural". Having a currency is okay, i wish it would be more bug-related. Green leaves as currency clash with the leaf-ability, of course. Maybe a golden leaf which does not look like the leaf abilty? Golden maple? Ooh Canada.

Or something abstract, glowing experience points from bug souls.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:42:50 AM by zorg » Logged
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2015, 06:41:35 AM »

Yep, that sounds like a good idea, I'll try it out later Smiley
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2015, 07:27:23 AM »

Or something abstract, glowing experience points from bug souls.
Hmmm that's really tempting, like little orbs or something.  Probably would fit better.

What do you think about something like this?

I'd have to just animate it spinning and stuff.

Pretty much just used the sprite from the ability powerup because I'm getting rid of that anyway.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »

What does it represent? It's pretty big, in my eyes. I thought about something in this direction:

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »

It's just a leaf with a bite out of it, like a caterpillar bite I guess.  I agree it's pretty big.  I like yours way better.  Mind if I steal? Smiley
I'm also thinking about getting rid of the outline, I like how it looks without it.

Have to add Zorg to the credits now Tongue
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »

Ah, a bite! I did not get it, but now i know it it's obvious.

Use it, modify it as you like. I feel honored. You don't have to give me any credit if you don't want to.

You seem to be unsure if you want to use outlines or not in general. Your main character looks good without outlines, i'm sure you could remove all outlines if you want to. Or use colored outlines (like you did for the moth).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:39:40 AM by zorg » Logged
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2015, 02:54:46 PM »

small changes here and there

Added an outline to the player sprite, changed the ground tiles, added a flash and knockback to some of the enemies when they get hit, added a little poof for the double jump.  Changed the coin sprite to the awesome leaf Zorg made, and made a spinning animation for it.

Going to start touching up the art for this area, adding more details like bushes or something, will probably need some suggestions.  Maybe some things to add to the inside of the buildings or something.

Oh yea and I changed the spikes, they looked really boring.  
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:11:08 PM by Tox2000 » Logged
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »

Testing out a new weapon, the vine whip, low range but very powerful.  

Now that I'm tested it, I can see that the hitbox doesn't get smaller when the vine is almost all the way retracted, killing enemies when it's basically disappeared.  Gotta fix that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:50:37 PM by Tox2000 » Logged
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2015, 10:26:50 AM »

Cool concept! The art is adorable, I never knew how much I wanted to play as a ladybug.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2015, 11:30:03 AM »

The whip looks super fun!

And i feel honored you implemented the golden leaf currency. Smiley

So you decided to use outlines for the characters. I like the consistency and your main character's shape does not get lost in the particle effects anymore. I'm not sure if the outlines around the spikes are needed to classify them as 'enemy'. Your environment looks good without outlines, imo.

Do other pickups with outlines exist in the game?
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2015, 12:19:36 PM »

Cool concept! The art is adorable, I never knew how much I wanted to play as a ladybug.
thanks! Smiley

The whip looks super fun!

And i feel honored you implemented the golden leaf currency. Smiley

So you decided to use outlines for the characters. I like the consistency and your main character's shape does not get lost in the particle effects anymore. I'm not sure if the outlines around the spikes are needed to classify them as 'enemy'. Your environment looks good without outlines, imo.

Do other pickups with outlines exist in the game?
Yea, I'm not sure how I feel about the spikes having outlines.  Originally I had them off, but somebody told me that I should have outlines on everything the player can interact with in any way.  I think if I remove the outlines, I need to change the color of the spikes as well, because they look kind of blurry in the outside areas.  But I'm not sure, you guys tell me.  Might be fine.

And yeah, there will be outlines on all the pickups. 

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2015, 02:32:54 PM »

Originally I had them off, but somebody told me that I should have outlines on everything the player can interact with in any way.

You interact with every floor and wall, too. Wink

I like your backgrounds and i wished, the foreground would work without outlines, too. The outlines create a comic look, in my eyes. If you like that comic look, you could add black outlines on everything in the foreground, even the floor, platforms and walls. I don't think it would look bad, just differently. Black outlines are a simple tool to separate (in general). I guess it is harder to work without outlines.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2015, 01:35:57 AM »

Additional thoughts:

Click to zoom!

The feelers need work, they look much better without outlines. My colored version of the feelers is the worst.

Left:
No outlines on bright background do not look good, that's why you started to use outlines.
No outlines on dark background look good (it's the same as black outlines on black background).

Center:
Black outlines on bright background create a comic look and look "hard", IMO. But the separation is absolute.
Black outlines on dark background look good.

Right:
Colored outlines on bright background look less heavy than black outlines, IMO.
Colored outlines on dark background look blurry, if the background color is darker than the outlines. Sad

It's a tough decision...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:47:40 AM by zorg » Logged
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2016, 02:25:41 PM »

Yea Zorg, idk.  I think I will keep with just what I have, the black outlines are weird when I have stuff like grass where it isn't solid until the middle of it and it's in front of the player.  Colored outlines is something I've been doing on the bosses but haven't done on the player or enemies just out of pure laziness since I hadn't done them and I was editing their sprites in game maker instead of what I usually use, so black was the easiest thing to do.  I will see later.

Anyway, I created this boss character sprite, he's a stickbug, and he fires arrows with his own body.  Will be easier to explain when I animate him lol.  And even then I doubt it follows the laws of physics but oh well.

working on a couple juice effects now as well, but I don't have recording software here at my parents house and my laptop is pretty bad.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2016, 04:14:22 PM »

background for the bow bug boss. gonna take a break from this boss and try to make a new weapon now
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »

Making new weapons.  Took me all day to make this boomerang but I'm done with it completely.  Sound effects, animation, particles, etc.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2016, 01:33:15 AM »

new hover ability.  simple, but it does allow for some different strategies in terms of combat lol
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2016, 09:09:45 PM »

Trying to create a new ninja star weapon, but designing the look of it is a pain, I'm not sure if I want to go with flowers, maybe I'll use some sort of weird leaf.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic