Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:30:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInfinite Oasis - A Buggy Platformer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Infinite Oasis - A Buggy Platformer  (Read 16054 times)
A Strange Bird
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2015, 07:39:42 AM »

I love those colours in the sky and cave levels! Incredibly well done!  Smiley
lobstersteve
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2015, 08:30:37 AM »

uh, yeah. sky levels look fluffy and the cave levels moody  Smiley
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2015, 01:00:18 PM »

Thanks guys!  I'm not sure how I feel about the sky level colors though, especially how the castle looks, it doesn't look very "realistic".  Not that the rest of the game looks realistic at all, but the sky level looks like a dream almost or something lol.  I might keep it but who knows, I might change it to more day time colors.  Not sure.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 07:19:46 PM »

Testing out parallax with my forest levels.  The art looks so much more unfinished in-game lol.  I'm going to go back and clean it up now, hopefully tomorrow I'll have something that actually looks nice.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »

Just one more level art to add to the game, at least to get the basic coloring down because there is still a lot of detail to add to each one of these, though the beach level is probably 100% finished.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2015, 11:54:50 PM »

I noticed you attached the biggest trees directly to the ground parallax layer. I did not see this in the last gifs of the beach level. The first layer did not have any trees, only buildings. In my eyes the big trees are good, because it lets the player (bug) look smaller. The palm trees could be much taller, too.

What will buildings in the new levels look like?
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2015, 02:30:51 AM »

I noticed you attached the biggest trees directly to the ground parallax layer. I did not see this in the last gifs of the beach level. The first layer did not have any trees, only buildings. In my eyes the big trees are good, because it lets the player (bug) look smaller. The palm trees could be much taller, too.

What will buildings in the new levels look like?

Yeah I'm thinking about changing up the art for the parallax layers, and make the palm trees bigger but I'm not sure if it will clutter the area too much from seeing the ocean and islands in the background which I like.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do for the structures in the new areas, they won't all be buildings for the most part, probably only the sky levels now.  But for the forest and cave levels I might just do some sort of natural looking structures like trees to jump off of but I don't know if that will look good.  I'll have to do some experimenting.  What do you think I could use?
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2015, 04:31:37 AM »

To prevent clutter you could always reduce the number of palm trees.

I thought about natural structures, too. For example clouds (instead of grass) in the sky level, roots/leaves in the forrest level, stone/crystals in the cave level. Maybe you could tweak the beach structures to look more like sandcastles (test a sand ground)?
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »

Roots and crystals are really good ideas for platforms in the forest and cave levels.  I'll probably do that.  As for the sky levels I might do clouds but I'll probably also use buildings like the beach since when you're on the sky levels you're on one of those sky islands.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »

Running on grass makes sense if you see a floating sky island in the background. I did no see it that way. Facepalm However, you could make it 100% clear that you are on one of those floating island by showing some clouds at the bottom of the screen:

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2015, 01:28:33 PM »

That looks pretty cool, thanks for the suggestion. What if there was another layer of clouds in the foreground as well?
lobstersteve
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »

That looks pretty cool, thanks for the suggestion. What if there was another layer of clouds in the foreground as well?
Please do that, yes.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2015, 07:24:53 PM »

Alright so I'm starting to design the bosses in the game, and there will be many, probably around 15.  At first I was going to make the bosses generic monster bug things, but then I decided I'd give them more character and personality, so I came up with this guy.

He's going to want to beat you up and he'll never let you reach the king.  I'm also considering giving him boxing gloves and a stadium behind him full of cheering bugs.  Cheesy
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »

Just getting a sense for what I want the boss fight to look like more or less.  Plus a new font I'm using that looks kind of like handwriting.  Maybe a little Mario-esque as well.
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »

I really like the art style  Grin

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2015, 04:23:13 AM »

Thanks Smiley
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2015, 05:42:57 PM »

Just getting a sense for what I want the boss fight to look like more or less.  Plus a new font I'm using that looks kind of like handwriting.  Maybe a little Mario-esque as well.

boxing bug is so cute! loving the forest parallax and air mockups.  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »

Thanks James!
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2015, 12:34:53 AM »

Going to try to add a Smash Brothers-esque splash screen for boss encounters, this will be fun creating high res portraits for each boss, will be time consuming though lol.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »

Alright so I'm having some trouble here.  I'm trying to create these high rez boss splash screens before boss fights sort of like Borderlands/Super Smash Bros/ Binding of Isaac and this is the first time I've ever created these kinds of high rez sprites and it's just not looking good.  I'm not exactly sure how to make it look better, there is some shading missing but I've honestly never really done dithering before except for on a few dirt/sand tiles in the game and that's a totally different texture.  The character looks super plain but I'm not sure where to add detail/lighting.  I think I'll make a post about it in the art boards but yeah, this looks super amateur and really ms paint-ish.  Doesn't look like proper pixel art I guess.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic