Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:59:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: ◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷  (Read 38173 times)
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »

Art and concept look awesome. I love murder mystery games and would buy this without hesitation.

A 'friendly' appearance might work in your favor in some places by providing a contrast to the potentially horrible situations you might uncover.

I agree with recommendations to work on gameplay before you nitpick the art too much - depending on the kinds of missions you offer, or the specific tasks the player is given, the gritty style might be good for camouflaging items of interest, or could be a pain because it makes the player waste time trying to tell if details are significant or arbitrary.

Are you taking inspiration from the Miles Edgeworth games (if you are good, because they're excellent)? I'd also recommend looking at the forensic missions in Trauma Team to give you some ideas of how you could structure the game mechanics.
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »

Are you taking inspiration from the Miles Edgeworth games (if you are good, because they're excellent)? I'd also recommend looking at the forensic missions in Trauma Team to give you some ideas of how you could structure the game mechanics.

Hehe, sorry. I have to admit, that i haven't played the Miles Edgewoth games.......but most of the Phoenix Wright games. What's the main difference when it comes to gameplay?

Actually I really like your idea. It's really unique, but it still works as a game we can all understand. I think your mockups on are spot on. You need to write an article on how to make mockups because I honestly thought it was just screenshots for your game. If your on twitter please reach out to me, I'd love to keep in touch.

I think there is not much to say about mock-ups. They are simple photoshop-file in game resolution. This way I can try a lot of stuff and move layers/folders easily. If I am satisfied, I export the individual objects as PNGs and load them into the game engine.

I don't have a twitter account. Maybe I'll create one, but updating a devlog consumes enough time....and starting an indie-DB page has a higher priority atm ^^

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »

Hehe, sorry. I have to admit, that i haven't played the Miles Edgewoth games.......but most of the Phoenix Wright games. What's the main difference when it comes to gameplay?

The game is played from a three quarters perspective that looks very nearly like yours. You move with the d-pad (instead of a point and click interface like the Wright games) and inspect things or talk to NPCs to gather clues. You can combine related clues together to create new clues, which you use to solve each case.

Like the Wright games, it hinges heavily on mysteries where the obvious meaning of the clues is revealed to be wrong and simple murders turn out to be complicated plots.
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »

just a small update for today. fooled around with some placeholder-graphics to check how i could set up "cutscenes". it's necessary to show some detailed closeups to tell the story a bit more dramatic. additionally i worked on some FX and on the interior of the first apartment (hope i can show it soon).

Zenvalley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »

This is such an awesome concept, the art style compliments it really well also. Cant wait to see more progress!

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 07:26:10 PM »

great stuff- can't wait to see more Smiley

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 01:45:36 PM »

thanks for the nice feedback Tongue

yesterday i worked a bit on the crime scene of the first tutorial-apartment

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:10:34 PM by ZeroTec » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »

I don't have a twitter account. Maybe I'll create one, but updating a devlog consumes enough time....and starting an indie-DB page has a higher priority atm ^^
Can be a good idea for those extra interested tho. I tend to post more WIP's and small things from my game on Twitter and bigger updates in my devlog thread here on TIGS. Good place for people who are not here to find out of your game, and good place for you to find things that interest you.

Love that animation inside the car btw! Very, very, very nice style.

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »

Here is a small outlook how the crimescene-cleanup will work. You have to select the appropriate tool and clean the contamination step by step. A bit inspired by "Trauma Center". More puzzle driven, less stressful ^^

---------------------------------------------------------

Example #1 / bathroom floor:

1) disinfect the pool of blood

2) remove the dried blood with your scraper:

3) scrub the tiles

4) remove tiles at areas where the blood seeped in the gaps and couldn't be removed completely

---------------------------------------------------------

Example #2: bed

1) remove contaminated areas with your cutter

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 02:00:21 AM »

That shadow really helps.

El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 05:55:30 AM »

Wow...just wow! Spectacular!

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2015, 06:34:57 PM »

Finished most of the pixel work for the first small tutorial-apartment Smiley

I also had some time to think about how i want to present the characters in dialog sequences.....decided to go for a view of the upper torso instead of a simple portrait. This way you're able to connect a lot better to the characters.

Rolkus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2015, 06:48:09 PM »

This looks awesome!

@rolkus

Crockets!
Break and Enter
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »

I'm interested in how you're thinking of the game progression will work. I imagine the player will be given insight into the crimes that occurred in each location as they clean it - will the player need to use these in some manner to advance the story, or are they treated as rewards for successfully performing each of the cleaning minigames/puzzles and are not required for progression?

Still looks like fun! I love mechanical style puzzles. Even when they're easy it's fun to manipulate the objects and slowly put things in order.
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 05:28:52 AM »

I'm interested in how you're thinking of the game progression will work. I imagine the player will be given insight into the crimes that occurred in each location as they clean it - will the player need to use these in some manner to advance the story, or are they treated as rewards for successfully performing each of the cleaning minigames/puzzles and are not required for progression?

It's hard to tell at this point how it all will play out exactly. The main idea behind this whole game is to use the basic scenario only as a start for an overarching storyline that goes into a different direction (i'll tell more about this at a later point in time). The cleanup sections are mandatory, because it's the protagonist's job, but it's up to you to explore the surroundings and check the victims belongings. You are working alone...nobody is watching what you do inside the apartment or if you steal stuff.

When you arrive at a crime scene, you will get a briefing what happened. Police was at the location before you, took the bodies etc. They should know if somebody was shot/stabbed etc....but it's up to you to find out about the backstory of the persons involved in the crime.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 06:12:19 AM »

I can't help but wish that the main characters role was that of a cleaner for the seedy underworld. Cleaning up the crime scene before the police ever arrived...

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »

I can't help but wish that the main characters role was that of a cleaner for the seedy underworld. Cleaning up the crime scene before the police ever arrived...

I also thought about an approach like that, but it would have a lot of downsides. If you are part of a criminal organization, the murder cases would be pretty similar. The victims died because they had to be silenced. There is no element of mystery.

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2015, 01:49:20 PM »

Hey there.

I decided to update the title of this thread, because I am looking for a coder to cooperate on this project.

The problem is, that I have to handle a normal job and working on the art for this project takes quite some time, because it's rather detailed. I am not very experienced when it comes to code, which means every functional bit takes me too damn long. If I continue this way, there is just not enough progress.

I started to setup the basic prototype in GMS, therefore somebody with GML experience would be a perfect fit. If you are confident that you can handle such a project and have some experience with previous projects, please write me a PM or an email. If you are really interested in a cooperation, but only under the circumstance of using another engine, I am also willing to talk. Changing framework is definitely an option if there is a good reason for it ^^.

arrebeat
Level 0

Game Designer/Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2015, 03:45:53 PM »

I don't know exactly why, but I'm getting a pretty strong 'Se7en' vibe from this. You know, the movie by David Fincher. If you're not using it as reference or inspiration I suggest you do! Each one of those intricate crime scenes has its own color schemes, art direction and all that stuff.

A question: will the player be dealing with crimes of a single serial killer or other kinds of "regular" crime as well? Like some kind of side mission to level up your rank, get better tools and such.

I also have to compliment you on the art, man... these pixels are making me thirsty! Loved the front of that old building! Keep up the amazing work!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 03:56:54 PM by Collarblind » Logged

I make the stuff you hear when playing games! Shazam!

YouTube
SoundCloud
Tumblr
pinkduh
Level 0

ya blew it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »

very cool idea. gonna be keeping an eye on this Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to: