Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:50:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: ◁ DO NOT CROSS ▷  (Read 38104 times)
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2015, 04:52:17 PM »

A quick rundown of our latest progress:

Siilk spend most of the past days re-coding the whole project from scratch. My hacked prototype had lots of limitations and needed to be overhauled completely.
His goal was to come up with a dynamic input system than can be re-binded easily and works with keyboard & gamepad. He also wrote the first iteration of the collision-system, automated Z-sorting and is now figuring out how to setup the gameplay sequences properly.

I reworked some of the old car sprites to adjust their size. Nothing too fancy.

I also blocked out a few new rooms and finished the detail-work on the interior of the pawn shop today.

Pedro spent some time at the studio to record SFX. He also worked on some rough composition which will be used as a base for later recordings. Hopefully he has something to show in the near future.

Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2015, 05:27:35 AM »

Hey everyone, just popping up to say hello in my first post here as a coder for DO NOT CROSS. =) I will do my best to create an engine to match pixely awesomeness of ZeroTec's art. I do enjoy working on this project as I like it's unusual premise and all those rather unorthodox gameplay elements ZeroTec concocted for it. Making this game already proved to be an enjoyable experience for me from the coding point of view so I am really looking forward to(and also kinda intimidated by Crazy) the perspective of implementing all the fun stuff that is planned to be in this game.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2015, 05:39:45 AM »

The art style is awesome. I love it. Realistic, gritty, dark. Can't wait to see more

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2015, 07:09:08 AM »

Wow. I seriously love the original idea you've come up with, the forensic cleaner adventure would definitely house some great tales and stories. There's an inherent eeriness to your macabre art style that will really play along well with the dark story you've teased us so far. If you ever come to a point where you'd need crowdfunding for this project, I think I speak for a large number of TIG'ers here in saying I will throw money at my screen until you get funded.

Already followed you on your twitter to keep up with your updates. Will be checking back here often to see your progress, best of luck my good man.

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2015, 08:34:25 AM »

This is pretty. I like this. Them pixels be fantastic looking.

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2015, 08:16:52 AM »

Wow. I seriously love the original idea you've come up with, the forensic cleaner adventure would definitely house some great tales and stories. There's an inherent eeriness to your macabre art style that will really play along well with the dark story you've teased us so far. If you ever come to a point where you'd need crowdfunding for this project, I think I speak for a large number of TIG'ers here in saying I will throw money at my screen until you get funded.

Haha, thanks for the support  Gentleman

I more or less finished Jack's apartment today. Here is a small preview. I'll post a walkthrough later today. We finally have a system in place to display assets & rooms correctly. I just have to spend an hour setting up the objects and the room. (In GMS' horrible editor)

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2015, 08:09:55 AM »

sorry, not a lot has happened in this devlog for some days. the main reason is, that we still struggle with coding  functional parts of the game. Doesn't make sense to polish stuff as long as it's not working properly.

Sorry, I don't know why, but the gif is pretty dark in most parts, but at shows that we have a blending system in place when you move from room to room and we are working on the game mechanics. takes longer than expected because there are a lot of unique functionalities that need to be taken care of -_-

Not really related to any actual content but i fooled around a bit to check how it would look like to animate children's drawings in a very simple way. Could be a potential way to tell some story parts in a very abstract way.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2015, 08:22:02 AM »

Wow it's seems really nice! Good luck with the code, I know what it is... Smiley

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »

Haha, nobody told me anything.....but somehow we got featured over at PCGamer ^^

http://www.pcgamer.com/do-not-cross-mixes-investigation-and-crime-scene-cleanup/

Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2015, 04:25:11 AM »

lol, sneaky game journalists. Smiley I bet a lot of game bloggers and journalists lurks around forums such as this one to scoop for fresh new content. BTW, you should totally contact the guy who wrote the article and ask if he'll be interested in an extended interview with you. Wink
muzboz
Level 0

Indie game developer from Melbourne, Australia.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2015, 03:32:35 AM »

Cool!  Looks great.  Love the mood and the art. 

Reminds me of Manhunter (the old Sierra game by the Barry brothers) for some reason.  Something about the pixel art, and the gruesome body in the chair.  Reminds me of the body you find at the beginning of the Manhunter game, and the orbs pop out of the eyes.  Smiley   Who, Me?   Blink

- Murray   Noir
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2015, 05:25:20 AM »

Ha, love this idea!
You might've heard this before, but it reminds me of

, which is a more humorous take on this concept.

Good luck!

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »

Ha, love this idea!
You might've heard this before, but it reminds me of

, which is a more humorous take on this concept.

Good luck!

Nope, I haven't heard of this movie before, but thanks a lot for mentioning it. I'll watch it as soon as possible. Even if it's a funny take on the subject it could be a cool inspiration. There is a for example a split-second scene in the trailer where they cut blood out of wooden floor plating.  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right There is always a lot to draw from references like that.

Thanks again Smiley

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »

Very intriguing concept and love the artwork! Definitely looking forward to seeing more about this.

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2015, 01:00:51 AM »

Sorry for not updating in some time. We are busy, but not working on stuff that's easily presentable. Siilk is currently working on the whole item management system. It's a super important task to keep track of all items/NPCs/object in the gameworld. Will take some time time to finish it and is unfortunately nothing that can be shown.

I layouted a few more locations and I am doing pixel artwork that's shown when you look at objects. Here a few examples. Fun stuff but nothing too exciting.

Besides that I did some portrait studies to get used to pixeling them in the same artstyle. I won't show them here to avoid getting them mixed up with game content Tongue

Ah, btw: We got featured on SILICONERA and KILLSCREEN Smiley

SILICONERA article

KILLSCREEN article

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2015, 01:57:56 AM »

Wow! Love the concept and the art. Your first-person view looks especially great.

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »

Wow! Love the concept and the art. Your first-person view looks especially great.

Wow, thanks :D

I feel really honored that you like it. You work is so super inspirational, because you're willing to experiment with a lot of unique ideas and execute them on such a high level. "Papers, please" was such a fresh experience that showed that games don't have to stick to established conventions. It will always pay off to try something new...

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2015, 01:34:35 PM »

quick GFX update:

i worked on some NPC tests today. creating realistic characters who fit the art-style is the hardest task at the moment. will take a few more tries until I'm satisfied with it

-----------------------------------------

i added the last details to the forensic lab. it's done and ready to get cut up into objects

-----------------------------------------

two more item-detail-images.....starting o get a hang of it ^^

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »

No need to keep trying IMO. They look absolutely amazing.

Are they based on anybody? First and last faces look pretty familiar.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2015, 08:12:43 PM »

god this game is gorgeous

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic