Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:14:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuild of Darksteel - Cinematic platformer in a dark fantasy world
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Guild of Darksteel - Cinematic platformer in a dark fantasy world  (Read 29328 times)
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 12:17:50 AM »

Nice to see someone else going to a "real-time" approach for cinematic platformer movements! Smiley
In Wanderer all the movement management was not far from making more than 1000 lines of code, I also refactored everything lately and now it's split into 16 different files with a quite advanced state manager to handle everything... Smiley But I'm really happy of the result, I wish you good luck about it, I know it's a complex topic!

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 01:15:53 AM »

Blekdar: Thanks for the constructive criticism! I will probably work more on that run animation later. For now I need to progress further in the demo for motivational reasons Wink

Fenrir: Yeah! It took me a while to realize it was best for the project to go for free movement. I was still looking at cinematic platformers with rose tinted glasses. What made me realize it was play-testing in festivals and gamedev meetups. Everyone said the same thing: movement is too sloppy. So I tossed the idea and went back to the drawing board. I'm glad I did because it feels more pleasant with the gamepad in hands.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2015, 01:59:56 AM »

Oooh I haven't seen this before!

Very lovely art style, it looks very nice in movement. I like the idea behind the combat system too, can see that getting pretty compulsive!

Will be keeping an eye on this Smiley

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2015, 02:06:54 AM »

Thanks And! :D

mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 05:05:17 AM »

The heat of the battle:
The battle itself is sort of a puzzle game based on memory and timing. The player can attack or parry for a short period of time. Each enemy type will always perform one specific set of actions. The first thing that is expected from the player is to block the enemy's attacks until he understands and remembers the attack pattern.

I really like the animations and mechanics. I guess, after a while you'll feel a like a badass when fighting with the same type of the enemy.

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 10:36:27 AM »

First of all, great work! I really love your art and the overall feel of the game!

I am not sure how frequent the combat will be, but I think in general it will be pretty redundant to have the character enter the combat mode and have the "conflict!" message displayed every-time, it kind of break the experience like a frequent loading screen (if you know what I mean).

I think for your style you can easily transform it into an ARPG (only if it fits your genre), or simply make the "explore - battle" transition faster and smoother.

Keep up the good work!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 01:33:22 AM »

Hi,

mk: yeah I guess. The tricky part is you'll be facing different type of enemies, each with their own pattern. The player will have to remember which is which. I still don't know how that's gonna play out in the final game since I only have a tech demo with one type of enemy. Time will tell.

mzn528: Thanks for your opinion. There isn't much action in this game. the battle system is thought out a bit like it was in early Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests. They're a separate part of the game, hence the transition.

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 04:41:10 AM »

You need to post more updates man, gets better and better.

I do agree with mzn528 a bit though, I'm a huge final fantasy fan but for this game I do get a feeling of it breaking the experience.

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 05:05:54 AM »

Sound real cool! The gif of the movement system looks especially great. How do you control the character? Is a joypad supported? And are you panning to make a public demo? I'd love to give it a try...

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 05:30:43 AM »

Juwdah:
Thanks for the feedback. Now I'm not entirely sure I understand what you (and mzn) mean by breaking the experience. I thought you meant there shouldn't be any transition between adventure phase and battle phase (and I stand by my position there should be or the game is just too spastic and hard to understand, I've tried it xD). But maybe you mean the way the transition is presented breaks the immersion? (there! I used the word immersion :O) If that's the case maybe removing the fade to black would alleviate the issue? Here is a gif without the fader but keeping the Conflict for transition.

What do you think?

BTW I should be able to come to the Indie Game Salon next month (not this one coming up). It would be cool if you could be there to play the demo! I need to confirm I can attend, though.

Lithander:
I'm a gamepad fanatic so I made the game with the gamepad in mind. Of course it's also controllable with keyboard and/or mouse.
The demo I have right now is "publicish". I use it to gather feedbacks at local events. I don't want to put this one online though as it's not yet including the biggest aspect of the game, its narrative. This tech demo is close to finish so I will soon start to work on an actual demo with story and all. I will share that one. I'll be optimistic and say it will be done around end of june! Wink²

I really appreciate you all's support :D *happy*

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »

What do you think?

BTW I should be able to come to the Indie Game Salon next month (not this one coming up). It would be cool if you could be there to play the demo! I need to confirm I can attend, though.

Yeah it's better, but I'd have to play it to actually "feel" it.
Keep in touch for the Indie-game salon and I'll check with the rest if they want to go. (We can try brotaru too, we've never went and want to check it out as well)

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 05:50:34 AM »

I'll be at next brotaru. That would be a great opportunity to meet. (I've seen some of you at GGJam)

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 05:55:55 AM »

I'll be at next brotaru. That would be a great opportunity to meet. (I've seen some of you at GGJam)

Heheh, you've seen all of us at GGJam, it's only three of us. Smiley

Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 05:56:14 AM »

Looks great now, good job. Awesome animations by the way. Smiley
Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »

Juwdah: Nice Smiley Hope to see you three again soon then Grin

Mattie: Thanks, mate!

SrGrafo
Level 0

Artist / Animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »

the pixel art is gorgeous man, just notice, have you check to see how it looks if you get the player and the enemy a bit more closer when they are in combat? that way you can feel the colision of attacks*

besides that this is looking awesome  Beer!

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 12:59:59 AM »

Thanks SrGraffo. The target position of both characters in battle is a bit buggy right now. They are indeed supposed to be closer but sometimes the stop lerping before they reach their target. I need to find out why and fix it. Thanks!

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2015, 06:22:01 AM »

I added a zone title that overlays every time the player enters a new zone.
This specific one is temporary for the tech demo.
I was inspired by final fantasy XII when doing this (and I believe Vagrant Story had that too), but then I realized how much it rather remind me of Dark Souls!

Swifty
Level 2

Must Keep Walking.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2015, 02:02:01 PM »

Love the pixels man, great vibe it's giving off, the zone titles are looking good too Smiley Can't wait to see more of this!

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2015, 04:15:13 AM »

Thanks Swifty! I'll have more stuff to show in the coming days Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic