Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:46:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsComputer Virus Simulator - Patreon is live!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Computer Virus Simulator - Patreon is live!  (Read 56850 times)
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »

Development progresses as expected. Unfortunately can't go into widgets/camera territory just yet because I've forgot I need also a system to spawn/despawn object selectors based on selected category. Whoops.

Anyway, progress on this is getting done, had to reimplement category metadata in a more robust way so it could be used both by level editor and actual game systems. Anyway I sure hope to get to more interesting stuff soon, ui work gets so boring and tiring.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 02:53:29 AM »

Bare version of GUI for the level editor is done. There are few issues, such as slight lag when selecting different objects, but they'd be ironed out. I am very happy about progress I am making even if it's tiny bits of it. Tears of Joy.

I'd post a shot of level editor, but it's just gui now, there are no way to spawn object in the game world yet, let alone move it around. But everything will be done, still have some time to do so Wink.
 Toast Right

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 02:00:11 PM »

Started to implement camera that lets you move around the level. Wish me luck Smiley

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »

Within a hour or so I'll start implementing movement/scaling/rotation widgets. Probably will be GUI-based for now, but eventually I want them to be replaced with Unity-like handles (any Unity user should know what I'm talking about).

Be a computer virus!

RaconteurNick
Level 1

Business Dude @ Raconteur Games

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 09:50:17 AM »

A neat idea for a boss or something like that could be infecting a hard drive, and you have to defend against anti-virus programs after getting through a firewall!

This looks really neat, and I can't wait to try it out. Best of luck with the project. Smiley

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 10:38:52 AM »

Happy to hear that. I don't know about the bosses yet, for now I'm making a level editor.

I have one rule though: Everything I can do when designing levels, player has to be able to do as well. To the point actual campaign levels will be made in said editor.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »

As of the moveset, the only thing I can confirm right now aside of regular stuff like moving, jumping, etc. is that the Virus will be able to shoot short beam that will hurt enemies and consume MP-like bar that'd recharge over time (sorta like in Dark Souls albeit easier dramatically as this isn't meant to be hardcore game).

For movement, I may add wall jump, double jump or gliding in, but I'm not sure if I'll do.

This isn't meant to be collectathon either, albeit there will be some things to be collected, that would be completely optional (think "treasure" in Wolf3d).

Game's art style is pretty much defined and since, no matter if it's simple 2D game or 3D game like this, I tend to pass on placeholder phase and go with final art if possible, whatever you'll see in screenies, will be in the final game unless I specifically say otherwise.

Sent an e-mail to RPS about the game yesterday about the same time I'm posting it on, let's see how it'll turn out.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »

I don't know if I should keep going this path. It just seems like no one cares about this game, 90% of posts in this thread are my own. I don't even know what I'm doing wrong! Like, people like devs of Cloudface or dev of that Jack The Ripper game are getting tons of feedback.

But I will try to go this path, if only to see how fast I'd get homeless because of all gamedev expenses.

I don't care that you don't care. I'm launching Unity editor NOW.

Be a computer virus!

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 10:25:01 AM »

It's easier to emphasize with a devlog that contains pretty screenshots or that have something original(that catch you the moment you look at it) . People love gifs.
In my case all i see here is something related to space invader (which is not exciting) and i don't understand how the game is played.

Development progresses as expected. Unfortunately can't go into widgets/camera territory just yet because I've forgot I need also a system to spawn/despawn object selectors based on selected category. Whoops.

Anyway, progress on this is getting done, had to reimplement category metadata in a more robust way so it could be used both by level editor and actual game systems. Anyway I sure hope to get to more interesting stuff soon, ui work gets so boring and tiring.

for example, only established fans would react to a post like this otherwise it seems useless.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 03:58:41 AM »

Gifs? I may give you gifs. But since AI isn't yet implemented, there would be only character running around. Frankly need to take a break from deving level editor, so I may try to do some gifs.

Thank you for your feedback, by the way! It was very useful!  Grin

Be a computer virus!

bkslsh
Level 0

one woman gamedev army

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 06:54:59 AM »

Dariusz, take heart, it takes time for people to notice your posts – the internet is a noisy place. Your works looks promising, keep it up.

I see you are working hard on a level editor, but have you made much progress on the camera and character controller? In my experience that will make or break your game and it is also the most difficult to get right, so consider focusing on that before advanced features like a level editor. That will also give readers a clearer idea of the gameplay you are offering, which will increase their interest. And try to keep an open mind when it comes to people's feedback on the game. Good luck!

Working on Astroman 2064: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45912.0
pixel pusher + coder. on twitter @backlashblues. on instagram @bkslsh.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 10:21:40 AM »

Character controller is good enough for the type of game I'm making. May add more features like wall jumps, but that's about it, and it should be easy to do so as the controller is 100% physics-based.

Camera would need more work, but this has to wait until I'll do IGG campaign as I don't have money to hire second programmer and know nothing about making good 3D camera. Currently I'm using (almost) stock script from Unity's wiki, which technically doesn't go through walls but goes through ceilings and such. Asset Store isn't helpful either, the only type of camera found there are MMO cams which doesn't fit 3D platformer.

And I agree that cam/character movement will make or break 3D platformer.

As for level editor, it's not "advanced feature", it's absolutely crucial to the game's development as all campaign levels will be made with it. This is to make sure I can do everything future map makers can do. I always hated when game had modding tools, but it turned out I couldn't replicate cool feature I've seen on level X because modding system was disconnected from the system that handled main game. I want to avoid that.

As for hard things, I can see integrating AI to be a problem. I'm most likely are going to be using RAIN AI. This wouldn't be a problem if I'd have "static" game, but due to nature of every level, I'll need to generate navmesh at runtime so AI would work correctly and not get stuck everywhere. There are very little info on how to generate RAIN navmesh at runtime.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »

Here's new screenie from the editor:

As you can see button for different kinds of transforms are lied down. I hope icons are descriptive enough Wink Additionally you don't see the menu that was there before. That's because I got around to coding top-right button that turns on/off the menu.

As for inspector, bottom half will be occupied by HSV sliders, so you can recolor things. Not everything will be able to recolor, enemies being one of the cases. At bottom-right, there will be Advanced button as well, giving access to advanced object settings such as if it is a trigger, if it is passable (so you could make ghost walls holding secrets), if it is rendered, etc.

Triggers will work quite like triggers in games such as Doom - there will be few trigger types, each doing different things.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 09:10:13 AM »

Object Inspector for the level editor is finished:

At least components are lied out. It isn't programmed yet and doesn't have Advanced tab done. In the next few days I'll be doing coding for it (transform and coloring, then likely delete button) and then will start laying out Advanced section.

Some FAQ about the inspector:

Why HSV and not RGB?
Well, the reason is simple. Using HSV makes more sense from level designer's standpoint, especially when you operate on pure colors, without ability to apply a texture. With HSV model, you just select what hue you want (with S and V sliders set to max), then adjust saturation and value as needed.

Why don't use transform widgets similar to Unity's?
Maybe in future (and maybe). At the current time it will be easier and faster to code it the way it is now.

Why Inspector is in 3D?
Because it looks cool and I don't have to figure out where I'd fit it without obscuring other things like objects or categories panels.

What will Advanced tab hold?
Well, too many things to mention! I'll leave you with structure that describe every level object in the level. Level file is basically one huge stream of level objects (actually, a little more complicated than that as it has own header and other data, but this is basic gist):

Code:
public struct LevelObject {
int ObjectID;  //these are needed to correctly put objects.
int CategoryID;//Current categories are -1: MissingNo. 0: LevelParts 1: NPCs 2: Enemies

ulong GroupID; //GroupIDs are useful with certain trigger actions such as 2 or 3.

float posX; //position on X axis of the object
float posY;
float posZ;

float rotX; //rotation on X axis of the object
float rotY;
float rotZ;

float colorR; //since we don't use textures, we need to at least give some color
float colorG; //so the levels won't be so bland
float colorB;

bool passable; //we need it for setting passability so we can do cool stuff like secrets.
bool rendered; //invisible walls or bridge of faith, anyone? No? Didn't think so either.

bool isTrigger; //trigers are removed after player touches them. It doesn't have anything
//with Unity's understanding of trigger, i.e. unpassable object can be a trigger as well.
int triggerID; //ID of action trigger is supposed to do. Currently planned are: 0: do nothing, usable when you just
// want to delete trigger in question, 1: play certain sound effect (set in triggerParam), 2: toggle
//visibility of certain object group, 3: show certain object group, 4:hides certain object group
//5: toggles passability of certain object group, 6: makes certain object group passable, 7:makes
//certain object group impassable, 8: killer, 9: to be decided, 10: executes dialog.
//Note that triggers work only for level parts (category 0).
int triggerParam; //required for certain triggers to work
int triggerParam2; //several more params just to be sure (so we won't have to change level format
//and break compatibility with older levels)
int triggerParam3;
int triggerParam4;
string triggerParam5;
string triggerParam6;
string triggerParam7;
float triggerParam8;
float triggerParam9;
bool eternalTrigger; //trigger isn't removed after performing the action.
}
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:31:34 AM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2015, 04:38:18 PM »

Today I had quite productive day. Started work on transform script (you'll soon be able to move things around in level editor! Yay!) and implemented auxiliary datatypes (mostly enums) needed by it. Going to sleep soon Yawn.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2015, 04:39:00 AM »

Computer Virus Simulator will let you at the very least change the color of your virus and name it. Which means... EPILEPSY WARNING, YOU'RE ENTERING HERE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 11:47:51 AM »

Those of you who check up on the thread regularly (not that there are many of you out there) might've noticed change of header pic in the OP of this thread. That's because Computer Virus Simulator has now the Facebook page that will be updated every Friday with a progress update (don't worry, this thread will be updated as well).

Why won't you just like it now? https://www.facebook.com/ComputerVirusSimulator

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »

Almost done with the transform section of the object inspector, you can use arrows to change values by 0.1 (need to figure out how to do that as long as button is pressed), you can also change values directly using input fields (for scale only currently).

Tomorrow I'll finish it off and start working on the rest of the stuff, such as recoloring objects. Then I'll add object spawning and start doing Advanced tab which holds important stuff that let you mess with object's behavior in the game. Basically, with few exceptions such as when it is already covered by the regular inspector (transform/color) or really isn't applicable (object/category ID), it'll give you access to the values from the following structure that is actually object's guts:

Code:
public struct LevelObject {
int ObjectID;  //these are needed to correctly put objects.
int CategoryID;//Current categories are -1: MissingNo. 0: LevelParts 1: NPCs 2: Enemies

ulong GroupID; //GroupIDs are useful with certain trigger actions such as 2 or 3.

float posX; //position on X axis of the object
float posY;
float posZ;

float rotX; //rotation on X axis of the object
float rotY;
float rotZ;

float scaleX; //scale on X axis of the object
float scaleY;
float scaleZ;

float colorH; //since we don't use textures, we need to at least give some color
float colorS; //so the levels won't be so bland
float colorV;

bool passable; //we need it for setting passability so we can do cool stuff like secrets.
bool rendered; //invisible walls or bridge of faith, anyone? No? Didn't think so either.

bool isTrigger; //trigers are removed after player touches them. It doesn't have anything
//with Unity's understanding of trigger, i.e. unpassable object can be a trigger as well.
int triggerID; //ID of action trigger is supposed to do. Currently planned are: 0: do nothing, usable when you just
// want to delete trigger in question, 1: play certain sound effect (set in triggerParam), 2: toggle
//visibility of certain object group, 3: show certain object group, 4:hides certain object group
//5: toggles passability of certain object group, 6: makes certain object group passable, 7:makes
//certain object group impassable, 8: killer, 9: to be decided, 10: executes dialog.
//Note that triggers work only for level parts (category 0).
int triggerParam; //required for certain triggers to work
int triggerParam2; //several more params just to be sure (so we won't have to change level format
//and break compatibility with older levels)
int triggerParam3;
int triggerParam4;
string triggerParam5;
string triggerParam6;
string triggerParam7;
float triggerParam8;
float triggerParam9;
bool eternalTrigger; //trigger isn't removed after performing the action.
}

Still no idea how I'll show trigger IDs in a convenient way. I guess I'll just show bunch of textfields for trigger ID and params and document trigger in Editor's docs.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2015, 02:24:08 PM »

Finished transform controls, you can now easily rotate, move and scale objects. Now I'm brainstorming some ideas for the enemies and npcs, will post some pics if I can think of something cool.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41:02 PM »

OK, here are some ideas (link, because pic is kinda big): http://i.imgur.com/J2gBQvf.png

To think up those enemies and NPCs, I've first drew what I have now (Virus, RAM cell, AV Agent, in top left corner), to get general feel how things should look like. Then I've though what would be good idea for enemies that could live inside computer systems and sketched them out.
As and added bonus, I've also drew up some pickup ideas.

Keep in mind that some of these enemies and pickups may not make it into the game or look different than the concept art presented.

Like the game? Then why won't like game's Facebook page as well? You can also follow @thedarkhog on Twitter for the game-related tweets (and other as well).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:52:39 PM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic