Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:24:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsComputer Virus Simulator - Patreon is live!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Computer Virus Simulator - Patreon is live!  (Read 57259 times)
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »

Object inspector for the level editor is almost complete on the coding side, you can delete objects now (object spawning is the next thing), now figuring out how to code that HSV color selector, so it will give out data required to save level made with editor.

I must also say that I absolutely, definitely, LOVE any person who sticks with me and read those posts. Because you're amazing and I need to thank you for that.

Also sorry for not updating the devlog for a while. It's just that I'm going through some... personal stuff that I don't want to bore you with. It's nasty, but I'll manage.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2015, 07:55:18 AM »

Today I'm adjusting player's physics, since I've deemed them to be a bit floaty. Not by much, but they aren't as tight as I want them to be.

Also, character is sticking to the walls for some reason. Maybe I should make walljump ability? What do you think?

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2015, 05:07:51 PM »

Okay, physics is quite improved and ironed out a couple of bugs.

Also The Virus has new move in his/her/its moveset: Wallhugging. It's quite different than "ordinary" wallhugging, as here as long as you press forward key towards the wall, you can move left/right - virus is just sticking to it, which gives possibility of few fun platforming challenges.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »

Okay, work on level editor continues!

Today:

- started implementing level object data, which is important both for saving level and modifying it (contains things like object's color, transform floats for rotation, position and scale and things that affects object's behavior once it's in scene)
- Partially implemented object coloring (no actual color changing yet, but foundation is here)
- Started work on object spawning and deleting.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2015, 12:05:38 PM »

I'll be coding level editor in few minutes again. Won't stream it, because of lack of interest in coding streams, but I'll get it working no matter what.

After I'll finish the object inspector, including the Advanced tab, most "fun" part will begin, making object prefabs that contain all of the necessary code for the level editor to understand them. It'll be easy, but tiresome as hell. As tiresome as making license plates probably, lol...

If you like this game and want it to succeed, please Like game's profile on Facebook.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2015, 02:37:24 PM »

Okay, I'm on the right way to get where I want. Had a little hurdle, since one of classes didn't have property I needed it to have, but that didn't stop me and I've worked around that. Man, that coloring thing is hard to get right, but it will be darn worth it.

I'm on the right path, however and not before long I'll have something workable, then I will start on making prefabs required for the level editor and do some concept level designs. Also will create video tour of the level editor once it's more or less complete.

Hope you'll like it. Now, getting back to work...

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »

Promised video showing off object inspector:

As you can see level editing is going to be easy. Delete button is working as well, but couldn't use it since level object spawning logic isn't done yet. This is my next step.

On Advanced tab you will be able to configure advanced settings regarding specified object, things that affect level's logic.

There's that thing called "triggers" which are modeled after Doom's/Doom's II linedef types.

Quote from: From game's docs
Currently planned [triggers] are:

0: do nothing, usable when you just want to delete trigger in question,

1: play certain sound effect (set in triggerParam)

2: toggle visibility of certain object group

3: show certain object group

4:hides certain object group

5: toggles passability of certain object group

6: makes certain object group passable

7:makes certain object group impassable

8: killer

9: to be decided

10: executes dialog. Note that triggers work only for level parts (category 0).

As you can see, those things will help to make interesting levels without having to write any code.

Additionally, some triggers can accept parameters, both string and int, which allows to customize trigger's behavior even further.

For example I'm thinking about, for trigger #8 (killer) for any bigger than zero parameter put into triggerparam8 field (float) to activate "progressive damage" mode, where 0 and smaller will be insta-kill.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 09:18:01 AM »

Level editor is coming along nicely. Object spawning and deleting is done.

Now I just need to finish off the Advanced tab in the inspector. And make all the prefabs for objects... Ugh, that last part will be boring Easy, but boring.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 12:28:54 PM »

Today I'd like to present you video of my game's level editor. The reason I've made it is twofold: First of all, I wanted to show it how levels in Computer Virus Simulator will be made.

The second thing was to check for any bugs which may crop up during usage of the editor of which I've noticed quite few. Nothing I can't fix though. The video is presented as speedbuild, because original recording was over 1h long.

The video:

So what do you think?

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2015, 08:19:57 AM »

Today I'd like to show you part of the game's HUD, Virus' healthbar to be precise. Now, it is important to remember that this is a mockup, however it will look pretty much the same in the game.

As you fight enemies and get damaged by them, the health will go down:

Under the health bar, at the free space on the right name of your Virus will be displayed (you'll be able to change its color and name before you start the game).

What do you think?

Be a computer virus!

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 01:05:57 PM »

Kind of depends on the background but the colours are extremely strong, they kind of hurt my eyes on the standard grey tigsource background. Do you have an actual screenshot mock-up?

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 03:06:43 PM »

Not yet. Also I prefer to not make "screenshot mockups", I prefer to have actual screenie Wink.

But I can confirm that in game those will be set on dark background. It'll look great and if it won't, I'll beat those HP bars with a pogo stick until they look good Wink.

By the way, how did you like video of level editor that is going to be in the game?

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 04:04:28 AM »

I am devastated by Iwata's death. But I'm doing the game still. Currently I am working on the Advanced tab of the level editor's Object Inspector, then I will start work on level header editor (Mission name, mission description, mission type and direction of the skylight).

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2015, 03:22:12 PM »

I've done more work on Advanced tab and tomorrow I'll start coding it and doing finishing touches. Then I'll have to do level header editor and saving/loading levels. Looks like fun and relaxing job.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2015, 10:49:34 AM »

Advanced tab's layout is done:

Code that will handle it isn't yet created, but this is obviously the next step. Then I'll start cranking out level's header editor and level goal one. Then saving and loading levels.

I've decided to drop "mission types" thing. Don't get me wrong, there still will be various missions, but actual "type" won't be set in the header. Instead I'm going to create a "level goal" editor where you can set how many enemies player must kill to open level's exit, how many datagrams he or she has to collect, that sort of thing.

This way, you could make so much more complex levels than the ones where you're locked to certain "level type".

After level header editor, goal editor and level save/load is done and bug-free, I'll start work on actual gameplay, implement triggers, powerups and enemies.

Also figuring out RAIN AI's navmesh generation and working around certain issues that I foresee to crop up will be fun.

Anyway, after gameplay is implemented, I'll once again return to the editor, to implemented dialog editor, so I can give more personality to The Virus himself. By the way, isn't he cute?

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »

I have interesting news to share. Today I'm ready to publish first public test build of Computer Virus Simulator.

What are those? Aside of the obvious, these little test cases are designed to test (and get feedback on) one specific feature at a time that I don't think I can get right on my own.

This test case is designed to test movement system. For this purpose I've designed a simple scene with really nothing except main character and a fountain (so you have some relative point to look at so you won't get disoriented). I'd like to get as much feedback on this as possible. Also don't worry about quality of the fountain, it will be changed and won't stay that way.

Download links:
Dropbox MEGA

After playing around, please fill out this simple form:

How much, on the 1-10 scale would you rate how The Virus was moving?

If you didn't like the way Virus was moving (above answered with less than 5), why do you think it was that way?

If you were in charge of movement design of The Virus, what would you change in the way it is moving?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:18:19 PM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2015, 01:31:35 PM »

Still need your opinions on movement (you can dl testbuild and fill out short form above so I can get as good movement as I can do!)!!!

Today I've continued work on Advanced's tab code, despite feeling very bad lately (common cold probably). Should've been in bed, but I just want to get as good products as fast as humanly possible!

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »

I am very happy to announce that I'm done with Object Inspector for game's editor  Smiley. Both main one and advanced tab are finished! Here's what the smilies have to say about this awesome development:

Grin: That's awesome!

Cool: You have still more work to do, carry on!

Concerned: There's something about that build. You still need feedback on Virus' movement, but no one want to download it and help you finetune it!

My sights are now on the level header and goal editors. Then saving routines. Fun!

Be a computer virus!

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2015, 06:49:22 PM »

How much, on the 1-10 scale would you rate how The Virus was moving?
2/10
If you didn't like the way Virus was moving (above answered with less than 5), why do you think it was that way?
The staggering, the shaking, it's not visually smooth. The acceleration deceleration , will it work for a 3dplatformer shooter? Is the virus some kind of ship?
If you were in charge of movement design of The Virus, what would you change in the way it is moving?
no acceleration deceleration , constant speed.

your game needs some art.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:56:28 PM by bakkusa » Logged
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2015, 06:27:23 AM »

Thank you for your feedback, bakkusa.

The jittering is a problem, yes. However I now have more important things to do such as finishing level editor and implementing actual game mechanics (enemies and whatnot), so it has low priority as you can imagine. But yes, it WILL be fixed eventually.

As for your other points, I'll wait for other people's opinions on the subject to make informed decision.

And as for art, the game is inspired art-wise by games like this:

and this:

so it looks that way on purpose.

Keep in mind that all things you saw in the technical build, except Virus itself are not final and was only put together to make good "playground" for testing features, movement in this case. In fact, the scene used is known internally as virusplayground.scene
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:42:30 AM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic