Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:12:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Author Topic: SOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure  (Read 94814 times)
AnotherPlace
Level 0

Seize The Day

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 11, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »

Looks great, superb graphics!

JOHNMCLAY
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 11, 2016, 06:43:24 PM »

WOW! Somerville is love at first sight man! It puts me in mind of Deadlight by way of Counter-Spy, if D-Lite had a competent animation system and Counter Spy was a tad more organic in its exploration. 

This is by far my favourite project on TIG, and I can't wait to get my hands on it! :D :D :D
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: April 11, 2016, 07:33:16 PM »

@JOHNMCLAY - Thanks brother!  I never played Counter Spy but I enjoyed Deadlight and finished it in one sitting, despite some gripes.  Yeah it's worth noting that this portion i'm working on is an example of optional encounters when you veer from the main path.  My intent is to have the player discover tasks/people along the way that pay off later down the line in a small but noticeable way.  This guy for example will be found milling about at your main hub if you opt to help him out.

@AnotherPlace - cheers man!

@bejkers - Glad you found the third and final resource of stuff!  I need to start thinking about mailing lists in the future.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: April 11, 2016, 11:45:08 PM »

Still impressed with each new post, good job! Smiley

Alternate Craig
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2016, 04:08:08 AM »

This is a beautiful union of motion capture and cartoon shaders.

What are your plans for music and sound design?

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2016, 04:46:17 AM »

This is a beautiful union of motion capture and cartoon shaders.

What are your plans for music and sound design?

No motion capture, all animated from scratch.  I have an audio friend working on things.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2016, 10:08:18 AM »

The character movements certainly don't look like motion capture to me - unless someone either tried to really create unique character movements or after capture made sure to fine-tune and add real character to it.  This kind of character movement tends to be achieved better with "classic" animation approach.

I wrote about my facial expressions experience and how the motion capture approaches of the past decade or so ... didn't capture that well and why manual animation works better.
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38175.msg1233004#msg1233004

Alternate Craig
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2016, 05:40:20 PM »

I never would have guessed it was hand animated. Based purely on my own experiences with mocaps. Possibly because I spent a lot of time fine tuning, combining and masking mine.

On reflection though it does have a very Prince Of Persia feel to the movement.

Tjomsling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2016, 01:36:43 AM »

Hi Chris! I just stumbled on your project looking for Kentucky Route Zero artwork and tips. It might be a bit too much to ask but could you possibly share a pic of the John model's wireframes? I want to emulate the KRZ art style for an exam and simply cannot decode how the geometry is set up.

And I'm glad I stumbled on Somerville. It looks incredible! Like two of my favorite games, Flashback and KRZ, had a baby. Thanks for sharing the process.
Grimwood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2016, 01:06:14 PM »

Beyond breathtaking, the animations alone make this already the most stunning videogame out there besides Uncharted 4. Ori and Journey. Added it here a while back: http://www.themasquera.de/games/work-of-art/
Seriously, there are no words to describe the pure beauty and immense talent..
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: June 02, 2016, 12:11:11 PM »

Hi Chris! I just stumbled on your project looking for Kentucky Route Zero artwork and tips. It might be a bit too much to ask but could you possibly share a pic of the John model's wireframes? I want to emulate the KRZ art style for an exam and simply cannot decode how the geometry is set up.

And I'm glad I stumbled on Somerville. It looks incredible! Like two of my favorite games, Flashback and KRZ, had a baby. Thanks for sharing the process.
I'd say Somerville's characters are more of a "mid poly"  but KRZ's are "low poly".  You can easily find many examples (with wireframes) of various characters, objects, etc if you search for "low poly" (and relevant terms) on the web.

Tjomsling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 03, 2016, 01:45:16 AM »

I'd say Somerville's characters are more of a "mid poly"  but KRZ's are "low poly".  You can easily find many examples (with wireframes) of various characters, objects, etc if you search for "low poly" (and relevant terms) on the web.

Thanks. This is going a bit of subject so I'll be quick about it. You're probably right but the poly amount wasn't the main factor. I was looking for the character style of KRZ (thin frame with long thin limbs) that still posed or animated well. I was running in circles on Google, and Pinterest, and Digital Tutors somewhat (just to emphasize that I know how to interweb to a certain degree) and finally decided to ask Chris. But all's good, I've handed my exam project in.

Now I'm just looking forward to more news on Somerville.
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: June 05, 2016, 05:36:47 AM »

Hello and thank you for your kind support.  Apologies, I've gone dark for a bit.  I have been knuckling down whilst simultaneously being mauled at the day job.  Luckily I've put in my notice and am going to go full time on this for a nice amount of time and potentially hunt for outside support.

Hopefully it all goes well and I'll keep you guys informed.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: June 05, 2016, 05:53:46 AM »

Hello and thank you for your kind support.  Apologies, I've gone dark for a bit.  I have been knuckling down whilst simultaneously being mauled at the day job.  Luckily I've put in my notice and am going to go full time on this for a nice amount of time and potentially hunt for outside support.

Any plans for Kickstarter? This is a project I'd back in a heartbeat

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: June 05, 2016, 05:57:49 AM »

Cheers Christian!

I am in the process of exploring all options right now.  You'll know when I know Smiley

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2016, 10:37:26 AM »

Luckily I've put in my notice and am going to go full time on this for a nice amount of time and potentially hunt for outside support.

Brave man!  Good luck! Smiley

Tjomsling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 07, 2016, 12:57:18 AM »

Sounds good! Smiley Good Luck.
lionfish
« Reply #277 on: July 23, 2016, 06:39:16 AM »

I just found this thread, and it looks great.  I'm trying to understand the art style, and appreciate you mentioning shader forge and posting progress pics.  Great job!  I'm really looking forward to watching this develop.
SplineO
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: August 04, 2016, 12:11:47 AM »

Awesome art style and animations!
As an animator I'd love to get a glimpse at your animation workflow. I always struggle getting clean Motions with just using Mayas HIK Rig (or Motionbuilder for that matter, which I often use for keyframe work). Anyway, great work for sure. Looking forward to every update!
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2016, 12:59:56 AM »

READY FOR PITCHING!

Hello there!  Apologies for the long gap in posting (as usual) I have recently wrapped up my day job and have made the giant move from Sydney, Australia back to the motherland London.  Everything came together in the end, however and my timeline for finishing all pitch materials was successful and I am now happy to start seeking building a team and pitching to publishers and investors.  Below is a quick summary of the things I've put together.

ENVIRONMENTAL DETAILING

Outside of refining controls and fixing bugs I've concentrated on making the environments as dense as possible with detail.  Every slice of environment I intend to hint toward a story or history there.  

Sometimes little animated vignettes you stroll in and out of.

BUTTON PROMPTS

Not the most elegant solution but it gets things done for the prototype.  It's made me realise that there's opportunity there for me to shave controls down to the absolute minimum.

FX TWEAKING FOR READABILITY

The little guys were losing their shape with such a dark background in the church I decided to sit down and put a little hero lighting on them along with FX work to make them pop.

MAIN MENU

The main menu is a lazy one.  Visible z-buffer cycling through various locales in the demo.  Also added credits and control key for first time players.

FEW EXTRA ANIMS HERE AND THERE

Loads more of these contextual anims peppered across the whole thing.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:17:45 AM by Olsen » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic