Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:11:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: SOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure  (Read 94816 times)
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2015, 06:46:58 PM »

The art on this looks amazing. What platforms are you planning on building for?

Cheers mate.  PC, Linux so far.  With the intent to go consoles.  Tis being built with pad and analog sticks as the default.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2015, 06:52:57 PM »

Man this is so sexy, can't wait.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2015, 05:52:35 AM »

Very stylish, although the camera movement feels too rapid and disorienting when changing directions. The death-ray is great.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2015, 06:03:05 AM »

Very stylish, although the camera movement feels too rapid and disorienting when changing directions. The death-ray is great.
Yeah the cam movement's garbage.  Working on it as I type Smiley

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2015, 07:52:24 AM »

Following. That framing narrative sounds genius; I imagine you could do so many interesting narrative things with that set-up. The idealistic text-book version that the children are learning about juxtaposed against the flawed real man and the struggles he endured during the alien invasion

And that art style is wonderful already, can't wait to see more

What's up with the "Power Rangers" suit in the OP, and the super speed GIF? Do you gain new abilities from alien tech?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2015, 07:59:37 AM »

DEADZONE CAMERA

What a hideous ball ache that was.  Oh well, it's revealed the gaping need for some turnaround animations to sell some weight.

Deadzone sending me to BED-Zone.  Another 4 hour sleep extravaganza tonight. 

HAPPY NOW GOSHKI?!

Here's some old environment motion tests I did before Somerville was even a thing, for those who haven't gone through all my tumblr gubbins. 

Can't wait to get stuck into environment stuff.

G'NIGHT!

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »

Thanks everyone.  All this encouragement, as well as the example set by all the other devs here, are really working their magic on me.  I am obsessive by nature but this has turbo charged my productivity.  Appreciate it loads.

Following. That framing narrative sounds genius; I imagine you could do so many interesting narrative things with that set-up. The idealistic text-book version that the children are learning about juxtaposed against the flawed real man and the struggles he endured during the alien invasion

Indeed!  I love geeking out with the possibilities of toying with timelines and perspectives.  I haven't developed the "Future Class room" framework much, as I'm still submerged in the main story arc of the first episode.  At around the 20-25 page mark I've hit a good place with the treatment for the Prologue and things are building to a nice conclusive setup for the main chapters.  Writing story that has to constantly harmonise with level design and mechanics I'm finding super rewarding but it's agonisingly slow.  Especially when my only time to write is during work lunch.

What's up with the "Power Rangers" suit in the OP, and the super speed GIF? Do you gain new abilities from alien tech?

All in good time!  Remember, it's episodic and JOHN has a long journey ahead of him.  Most of which I want him on the back foot.  But maybe you'll get to witness what these "Power Ranger" suits are capable of early on.

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 05:30:54 PM »

I've always loved game art where the 3d looks 2d, following this

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 06:58:27 PM »

BASIC DRONE AI DEATHRAY INTERACTION

So I've been working on the basic functionality and relationship of this enemy duo in the early stages of the game and it's opened up some nice gameplay potential upon testing.  The ray impact point emits a constant physics explosion which, when close, gives John some lift.  Enabling jumps not usually possible.  As you can see it goes where JOHN goes so it may also be used in your favour for scenarios too overwhelming for little ol' JOHN. 

Loads of things I still need to add like the drone shooting to root you in place, beam angle determined by patrolling entity above, drone chasing etc etc

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »

I've always loved game art where the 3d looks 2d, following this

Cheers mate.  Hits me in my soft spot also.

If you want the ultimate in 3D looking like 2D.  Go check out the recently released fighter by ArcSystemWorks.  Guilty Gear Xrd.  It's fully 3D and all in the Unreal Engine.

I'm currently investigating how I can warp meshes for certain animations to generate motion trails.  If anyone has any ideas lemme know.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »

Woah, I really like that deadzone camera! I'd never think of that one :D

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 11:31:53 PM »

Woah, I really like that deadzone camera! I'd never think of that one :D

Stole it from this dude Smiley

https://twitter.com/nico_m__/status/559550171642470402/photo/1

Mya
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 02:04:50 AM »

Gorgeous work man Smiley

Loved playing Another World way back, can't wait to see more stuff in this vein. Keep it up!

Kikekun
Level 0

Super Awesome Hyper Dimensional Mega Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »

Best thing I've seen in months. I just felt in love with your project, man. Simply beautiful. I'm a fan! Kiss

Twitter: @SuperMegaTeam
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2015, 05:44:11 AM »

lovely animation, lovely style- can't wait to see more! Smiley

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2015, 06:03:37 AM »

cheers for all your kind words guys.  Really propping up my motivation.  So happy I started posting on here.

Currently working on level design and a proper finished environment that truly represents what my end product is gonna be like.  I was going a bit crazy at implementing so much functionality my girlfriend has enforced a curfew of sorts.  I find blocking out levels a bit more relaxing and less addictive.

Updates tomorrow!

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2015, 04:38:38 AM »

Wow, this is looking crazy good! I've been playing with visuals in this style ever since seeing Kentucky Route Zero and also seeing people creating art like this

Looking forward to more updates, the animations are excellent
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2015, 03:27:31 PM »

Wow, this is looking crazy good! I've been playing with visuals in this style ever since seeing Kentucky Route Zero and also seeing people creating art like this

Cheers brother!  Yeah Kentucky was a massive influence in terms of the rendering style.  I don't want to texture anything outside of atmospherics and just go full ham on lighting.  The hand drawn effects were something I dabbled with in look dev making use of an old After Effects FX pack I bought ages ago.

I've been out of commission for the last few days so I lost a bit of productivity but back on the wagon now!

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2015, 01:35:36 AM »

SNEAK PEAK OF LEVEL DESIGN DOCUMENTS

Having fun blocking out the entirety of the prologue I've written.  Keeping it as simple as possible.  Removed annotations as to not spoil any of the story set pieces and puzzles.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2015, 05:41:48 PM »

LITTLE BIT OF ENVIRONMENT DESIGN

Aloha tiggers.  Apologies for the lax in updates this week.  Been stuck into level design, which isn't too interesting to show without spoiling things.  Started prototyping out a communication system for the game (currently text boxes)  Still not sure how I want to deliver dialogue but for now this'll do.  Also a segment of the previous level design post fleshed out to a work in progress mockup in Unity.  The gifs are diabolically colour balanced so excuse the funkiness.  I'm also still waiting on a new monitor so I'm doing all my testing on a spare 32 inch LED TV.  Which has god awful colour representation.  If anyone has any recommendations for a sub $700 dollar 27inch+ monitor, please let me know. 

Also rethought the camera system.  Before it was orthographic with perspective background and foreground cams.  I ran into too many issues with getting the depth right in the foreground cameras, especially related to ground plans extending past the camera and lining up with the orthographic gamespace ground.  Anyway, long story short, I've gone for this faux orthographic style by drawing a super long lens on one camera.  So far, so works.  Will need some cheating in the foreground elements as the ground plane has to be suuuuuper lengthy to reach the camera but I'm fairly happy with it and it gives me a lot of flexibility in the future.

Gonna plough on ahead with level design till I have a finished spread of all the prototype levels this week.  The assess all the functionality I need.  But will update with anything interesting.  I'm not too sure how interested people are on text only updates so have held off so far but for the sake of keeping people up to date it may be a good thing?  As before, feedback appreciated on whether text updates float your boat.

Take care all!

Olsen out.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic