Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:20:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: Flotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world  (Read 174317 times)
dangersam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2015, 02:13:46 PM »

Wow, liking the look of this!  Such a neat concept for a building game, the art style is gorgeous too.  Definitely keeping an eye on this one!

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2015, 03:38:53 PM »

Agree, this doesn't seem like an essential element of the gameplay anyways.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2015, 05:29:41 AM »

Oh yes, I forgot to add this breakdown image.
These are all the parts the different houses consist of.

Nice use of modular assets! The result looks really good. Would it add to the image if the water was slightly transparent so you could see the ocean floor? Or maybe small fish swimming about to add some movement to it. Just an idea

The game is coming along very nice
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »

Thanks friends!

@Paul Thanks and yes, the water already is transparent. However we don't really have anything to put in the ocean yet. Right now I only have a plane beneath the ocean as to not have it fully transparent. You do can see underlying parts of buildings and flotsam already through the water. I added a more clear picture down here.
We also plan to have fish and seaweed visible through the water. Also parts of old structures like flooded highways, buildings or other cool stuff like these dumped subway cars.
But we're still looking how we're going to do all that.  Wink

Anyway, we've been silent for a bit here. That's because last weekend there was another Ludum Dare game jam!
As some of you know, we like to take part in game jams, as you can see in our old thread for example.
For this Ludum Dare the theme was "An Unconventional Weapon" which gave us the idea for "Tourist Trap", a game where you play as a band of street musicians trying to lure as many customers to your pizzeria.

Please try it and give us feedback.
Personally we think we should try something simpler next time. But we're very curious to your thoughts!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2015, 11:14:22 PM »

I expected a

based on that gif :D
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2015, 12:06:33 AM »

I'm glad to see this is still looking gorgeous!

I really love the idea of seeing parts of the old world through the sea and that link to those subway cars is awesome!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2015, 03:57:32 AM »

@jobleonard Haha, that would've worked great as well!

@and
Thanks for the feedback on our LD-page! Mable looks fun as well, I'm going to take a look soon. And yes, I think the visible old world will really help us to create a world with a history.

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2015, 04:01:33 PM »

And we're back with new art for screenshot Saturday!

This time another piece of concept art that wazeau transformed into lovely visuals for the game.
Once we get some decent lighting implemented in the game, these buoys will make sure nights are never pitch black.

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »

Looks great! I will be keeping an eye on this as it develops.

Marconi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2015, 09:38:16 AM »

Very cool idea and I love the art style. Coffee I really want to play it!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »

Thanks guys!
I'm sorry if we're being a bit more quiet than usual. My last weeks working on Flotsam have been bugfixing and refactoring code before we're adding new features. Sadly that's nothing glamorous to show.
I've also reworked some systems like the buoyancy which is more solid and easier to use now. I'll give some more info about this later.

Judah and wazeau on the other hand are busy working on more cool concept art, so you'll hear from us soon again!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2015, 05:21:45 AM »

Hey everybody!

One of the things I made the last weeks was a flotsam island-generator.
The flotsam island we showed a month ago for World Water Day was handmade, but I also wanted to write a script that generates islands for you. You can see some examples down here.

I can adjust size, amount of flotsam and if they collide or not. Any island can also be edited and/or saved after generation for future use if necessary. Once we have more flotsam I also plan to add more options like for example only wooden flotsam or flotsam made from a crashed plane.

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm back with a whole pack of gifs showing our building mechanic, enjoy!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2015, 12:16:06 AM »

Wait, the game even starts wit them floating in the water? Not even a little raft or something? How did they survive up until now?
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2015, 02:51:58 AM »

Haha, we just haven't made a raft yet. Wink

Most likely at the start of the game we'll be giving players several options to make the game easier/harder.
Options like a raft or not, flotsam from a sunken ship nearby or barely any flotsam, water/air temperature, rough or beautiful weather, ...

Right now your drifters can survive a fair bit in the water. It isn't really punishing... yet.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2015, 05:44:45 AM »

We're bobbing along in our barrel
Some of us tip right over the edge

Wait, that makes me wonder: will there be barrels to bob in?
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2015, 02:31:34 PM »

Haha, we don't have any boats yet. But I want to try as soon as it's possible.
It would fit the theme anyway.

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2015, 11:57:24 PM »

Wow, i'm really super impressed with this.  Not just the concept of the game, I'm also in love with the look of it!  As well as that you guys are doing an excellent job with this devlog, and showing incredible patience with just building out stuff bit by bit and showing it off on a regular basis.

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2015, 06:05:22 AM »

Thanks Ryan!
We try to keep a regular schedule for updates. Which helps our development a lot too.

And the bit by bit, well you don't build this kind of game fast AND good, and we want it to be good.
Looking back at what we're coming from, it looks like our patience is being rewarded. Smiley

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »

the art style is really impressive (you guys probably get this a lot). Good job and keep it up!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic