Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:33:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: Flotsam: A survival building sim in a flooded world  (Read 175987 times)
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2015, 03:06:45 AM »

We got featured on VGU Smiley

http://videogamesuncovered.com/flotsam-water-based-survival-town-builder

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2015, 09:30:58 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Right

BTW, maybe I've missed it because I subbed four pages in, but what kind of builder are you going for in terms of economy? For example, the feel of the Anno games is very different from the classic Settlers games.
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »

Hey JobLeonard!
Do you mean economy as in management of resources?
If yes, I think it's more Settlers-style (although I haven't really played Anno yet, it's on my list though).

You'll have to collect 'raw' resources(flotsam) and will have to process these in more usable resources(plastic, metal, wood, ...) after which you'll be able to use these or have to refine even more with crafters.
That's the general idea at least. We're still thinking about it and it's subject to a lot of change and development.  Wink

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »

Everytime i see this devlog in the list among all the others I'm surprised how much it sticks out because i like the name so much! Dunno, why, but it really resonates with me. Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2015, 09:43:08 PM »

Yep, I meant as in management of resources. But also the overal feeling of the game, I guess. Settlers has this calm plodding-along kind of feeling to it. The graphics of this game evoke something similar, but the theme is a bit more like Banished (in the sense that it's pretty literally sink or swim), so I was wondering what you were going for.
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2015, 02:48:52 AM »

@lithander Thanks! In the beginning we were kinda in doubt and thinking of changing it, but we were already really fond of it and fellow devs liked it as well, so we kept it. It still reassures us when people tell us they like the name, so thanks!
Btw Horde looks very interesting as well, I'll surely take a look at it!

@JobLeonard Banished was a first, big inspiration, but my feeling there was that once you were doing good, the game quickly lost it's challenge. Personally, I like a difficult, challenging game that keeps you on your feet. That's one of the reasons why I like Rimworld a lot, it has different types of scalable directors which guide the difficulty of the game as you're playing it. Making the game harder when you're doing well, or easier when it's getting harder.
My idealistic goal for Flotsams feeling is a fun tension. An enjoyable game that always keeps you on your feet with little and sometimes big challenges. But that's a goal you don't reach over night. Wink

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2015, 07:25:23 AM »

Playing around with some modular assets! Smiley

andes-neumann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2015, 08:44:16 PM »

Great devlog, guys! I really enjoy seeing all the concept art, keep up the good work.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2015, 07:26:21 AM »

Raaaaaaaaaaad!  Beer!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2015, 07:48:35 AM »

Switching the eyes would do a LOT to give the feeling of different characters.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2015, 08:06:32 AM »

However I'm highlighting another new change which I worked on last week and that's the removal of the building grids. Previously walkways and buildings were locked on to a grid to build on, but with other future features in mind it would be better to ditch the grid-snapping.
Now you can freely place walkways however you like, but buildings always need to connect to a walkway. Thus making walkways the links that hold your base together.

And of course that also allows for more interesting layouts. Wink

Is there any snapping now? I've played cities:skylines for a while now, and I thought something alike to its roadsystem would be nice? Like, one could see the angles and there would be a snap at 90 degrees (and maybe 60 and 45 and other nice angles)?

- - - -
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2015, 08:42:53 AM »

@TheWing Right now walkways snap together if close enough and constructions need to be build against a walkway so those snap against walkways.
I like the roadsystem in Cities very much though and I've also been thinking to give players the option to snap walkways to a grid or to different angles. There have already been requests for having the choice so I'll probably implement it later on.
I'm not sure how yet, either a key that you hold to enable snapping or a toggle (or maybe just both).

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2015, 08:44:30 AM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley

Switching the eyes would do a LOT to give the feeling of different characters.

Yeah, the eyes are modular as well, just haven't made any new ones yet Smiley
I'm actually trying to get a system in there to animate the eyes in 2D, with the help of texture sheets.
Here's how they are ATM:

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2015, 07:33:08 AM »

By the way, the last clothing pieces you see in the modular gif make up the guy in one of the earliest concepts, incase you want a comparison, here's one Smiley

wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »

Been a while since I posted something Smiley
I've been working on the art for the Pajama Llama site for a while and today we can show you a preview of the art that'll go on top!
If everything goes right it'll have a parallax effect when you scroll down.
In the paint you can also see some new building designs. Mainly the lighthouse, some windmills for electricity and the bigger shipyard that will allow you to build and fix some boats. Now we "only" have to make them in 3D :p

I've also included some wallpaper versions for you to enjoy. Cheers!
1920x1080
2560x1440

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:31:53 PM by wazeau » Logged

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2015, 06:39:01 PM »

I like this kind of games, and this looks very promising so far.

Things I'd like to see:
- changing seasons with different challenges associated with them
- maybe even changing climates, if your city is able to drift far enough caused by wind and currents, you may start in tropical and end up in polar region
- while we are at it: some way to (more or less accurately) predict where the current is taking you which would allow you to prepare (maybe have special building/profession assigned for this). If not this, then at least the guy who would predict if the storm/rain/wind/cold weather is coming.
- progression of time, people being born and dying of old age
- actual families, and personal lives of citizens (always liked this element in games like Tropico and Banished). Things like the colony dying out if you are left with no people young enough to have children (or only of one gender)
- If you are planning a "campaign" mode then PLEASE consider having some meaningful and epic story behind it! If you don't want to invest in a story, the game being sandbox-only is much better option then having a half-story imho.
- buildings whose position is not fixed in relation to one another but float around and make different shapes is great idea! I know it could be tricky to implement, but I think it would give the game a unique feel.

On the other hand, I don't like the fact that you seem to shy away from serious/dark/weird themes. What I ADORE in this type of games is exactly when in one gameplay you get through some idyllic/pastoral periods, funny periods, dark periods, epic periods etc. It makes me feel it's the living, changing world. I understand your reasoning behind wanting it to be light/comical but for me those games too often end up being not immersive enough.. or too "casual" if you like. Anyway, this is not "objective" critique, just my taste in games!

Keep up the good work and good luck!

site  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  facebook | indieDB
wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »

@jovan.vesic Neat! A lot of interesting suggestions you got there.

Climate: We have thought about climate/seasons before, yes. We're probably going to do climate changes and no actual seasons. So there might be a periods of dryness, storm, extreme heat, etc and you could potentially predict these later on in the game, with a weather station or something like that.
We're also making some different environmental variations, I'm thinking stuff that fits together so the player can see correlations like a reef with a lot of wreckages or a flooded city with buildings sticking out and floating furniture everywhere.
And of course one of these environments could be a polar biome like you suggest, with icebergs, sunken cruise ships and castaways floating on doors Smiley

Watchtowers: For predicting where you're going, we have watchtowers planned that'll allow you to see things in the direct vicinity, like an approaching whale, a storm or a big obstacle that might crush the base.

Families: People aging and families are a good idea, and we might do that, but we're not sure in what way yet. The colony dying out of old age could potentially happen, but there will be outsiders that could join your colony before that.
We want you to have a more personal attachment to the villagers compared to other building sims, and families + aging would certainly help a lot for this.

Campaign: We're probably gonna wait a long time before even considering this. We're hoping that our game will have enough random big and small quests to avoid it anyway. By big quests I mean things like building a working waterplane/radiostation/submarine... Goals that won't end the game, but do take a long time and give you some sense of endgame achievement.
We wouldn't do it unless we have a good story, cutscenes and voiceactors I think Tongue
(To be honest I do love RTS/buildingsim campaigns and while story adds a whole lot, most are just a chain of levels with different setups/objectives)

Serious/Dark<->Light: You mentioned the focus on going light and comical. With that we mean that we want to go in a different direction than most apocalyptic games. This just means less the hopeless, crazy and barbaric world of Walking Dead, Borderlands or Mad Max (damn that last movie makes it harder tho Tongue) and more happy apocalypse like Adventure Time for instance. It'll still be hard, a lot of bad things will happen to you and some dark comedy could be used for some of that. Cartoons can get pretty dark too you know, some of those don't avoid heavy subjects either.

Damn, these answers got longer than expected. As per usual => all these things aren't final and everything could still change, bladiblablabla, you know the drill Smiley
Anywho, awfully nice of you to give us these suggestions Beer! Typing up answers for these is very helpful! Keep them coming!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2015, 04:48:19 AM »

We finally made our female drifter for Flotsam in 3D  Smiley

Here's the original concept if you don't remember:

Also while we're at it a turntable for our male drifter:

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2015, 02:59:32 PM »

Hey everybody!

A few weeks ago we got approached by Zhatt, a youtuber who regularly does overviews of tycoon(-like) games. We gave him some material and the result is now online. He even used our new concept art as his open image.

Things are certainly moving faster than I expected, but that's good. Smiley
I'm anxious for what's more to come!

jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »

Man those characters are looking so awesome! Can't wait to play this!

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic